PDA

View Full Version : So how do you keep your guns rust free

ddgears
08-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Haha, just discovered a light freckling of rust on one of my guns that I took out to shoot last week. Blaming the humidity in here in sunny San Diego though it was probably my own fault for forgetting to put it away after I cleaned and locked it. So anyway how do you keep your guns from rusting.

BucDan
08-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Silica packs, humidity control things, and oil the rifles. Humidity here in SD isn't really too bad at all unless you live near the ocean. Are you sure it's rust and not copper scratchings?

Sometimes if you sweat on your hands, you might want to wipe the rifles down as your sweat contains some salt content.

707electrician
08-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Shoot them out before they have a chance to rust :D

ddgears
08-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Yeah I live ten minutes from the ocean haha. oddly enough I also found some rust on the mags of another gun. On the bright side though is seems to be limited to the outside of everything. Guess I should invest in a few fresh packs of silica.

Carbuncle
08-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Not sure if this would adversely effect semiautos, but Uberti suggests applying a thin coat of carnauba-based wax before the usual oil coat to help prevent rust.

bsg
08-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Yeah I live ten minutes from the ocean haha. oddly enough I also found some rust on the mags of another gun. On the bright side though is seems to be limited to the outside of everything. Guess I should invest in a few fresh packs of silica.

consider running a GoldenRod inside the safe, as well as the silica packs.

i store my guns openly inside the safe; i don't store them inside plastic cases, boxes, gun rugs or other smaller containers within the safe.

check and inspect your guns at regular intervals.

BucDan
08-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Or be like me, I don't have a dehumidifier, but I do keep my rifles oiled with a bag of rice as my water soaker. I have small rust on the outside of my AK mags too, but go figure, it's steel. Just don't get on my rifle! I've stored my rifles in a soft case before for sometime, never really had a problem at all.

Fjold
08-04-2012, 12:50 PM
After cleaning and oiling, store them in the silicone treated gun socks.

bsg
08-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Sometimes if you sweat on your hands, you might want to wipe the rifles down as your sweat contains some salt content.

if the last thing to touch your gun metal is a finger tip, the results can be permanent alteration of bluing. i've seen some beautiful old guns that had beautiful patina on original bluing... except for the presence of a permanent fingerprint smudge.

ddgears
08-04-2012, 1:03 PM
if the last thing to touch your gun metal is a finger tip, the results can be permanent alteration of bluing. i've seen some beautiful old guns that had beautiful patina on original bluing... except for the presence of a permanent fingerprint smudge.

ha ha yeah the mags are rusted in what looks like a palm print and some fingers almost perfectly.

meaty-btz
08-04-2012, 1:03 PM
I have never "socked" my guns, ever.

I clean and oil and put away. No silica not desiccant, etc. I just keep my guns oiled.

This includes a 1929 production 38 special that has a good bit of holster and finish wear so lots of bare metal and a lifetime of bare metal trigger and hammer. What rust? The pistol was carried for decades in NYC and Long Island so humidity, rain, ocean only to be moved to Monterey with Ocean Air. No rust. Care for your weapons and they wont rust. Hell the pistol sat in its LEATHER holster for upwards of 4 years without any corrosion. The last thing you should do on cleaning is an oil rub-down without touching it again, put it away. No sweat, no hand oils, no rust. I think a lot of people do not oil their guns. I am not talking wear parts I mean the whole bloody gun to give it an oil sheen. That is protection right there.

BucDan
08-04-2012, 1:07 PM
^ Yup. Just oil it all with a nice layer. When it comes to shoot, just wipe the outside down nice and go.

Hopalong
08-04-2012, 1:23 PM
Use, oil.

prob
08-04-2012, 1:23 PM
Clean, oil lightly, and put in a safe with a Golden Rod. Also, whenever someone else touches your firearms, ALWAYS wipe the gun with a slightly oily cloth. I've found this to be a foolproof method of ensuring that firearms stay rust free.

By the way, note that I make a point of saying to LIGHTLY oil firearms. There is no need to drench your guns in oil. Drenching serves no purpose other than to make a mess and possibly damage a stock and/or its finish.

Meety Peety
08-04-2012, 1:51 PM
I've always oiled my guns well and like above, never had issues with rust. I don't leave them sopping wet either, I take a cloth and wipe them dry before putting them away and I don't have issues. I used to use a golden rod on top of that but it died out and it took me a while to get a new one.. long enough that I realized I didn't need it at all (So I never replaced it). It very well could depend on your safe though, because I have one that will collect moisture and one that won't. My old safe that is now basically just storage for important documents, jewelry and whatnot will likely rust a gun. Without silica packs, the paper inside it will feel lightly damp after a day or so inside there, I don't have that issue with the new one.

Another easy way to rust a gun is to leave it in a padded case after you take it to the range. Direct contact on the foam (Foam absorbs moisture) will cause some freckling if you leave them in there too long without a nice coat of oil on them.

BucDan
08-04-2012, 2:15 PM
I've always oiled my guns well and like above, never had issues with rust. I don't leave them sopping wet either, I take a cloth and wipe them dry before putting them away and I don't have issues. I used to use a golden rod on top of that but it died out and it took me a while to get a new one.. long enough that I realized I didn't need it at all (So I never replaced it). It very well could depend on your safe though, because I have one that will collect moisture and one that won't. My old safe that is now basically just storage for important documents, jewelry and whatnot will likely rust a gun. Without silica packs, the paper inside it will feel lightly damp after a day or so inside there, I don't have that issue with the new one.

Another easy way to rust a gun is to leave it in a padded case after you take it to the range. Direct contact on the foam (Foam absorbs moisture) will cause some freckling if you leave them in there too long without a nice coat of oil on them.

Is this hard case with the foam cutouts? Or are you talking about soft cases that have soft padding but sowed over?

One thing I forgot to say, I took a cloth with oil, and lined the inside of my soft carrying case too. Usually I leave it in the soft case because I'm just that lazy to take it out.

InGrAM
08-04-2012, 2:55 PM
I keep them in socks with a coat of sheath on them in the safe. Every time I touch them they get wiped down with the old trusty sock with sheath on it and back in the safe they go.

Also, in OK I have a de-humidifier in my safe and it has never failed in years upon years of use. You might want to check them out.

Bangzoom
08-04-2012, 5:44 PM
static intercept bags

they claim nothing will rust inside this stuff..

so far im rust free

Kappy
08-04-2012, 6:37 PM
By living in Yuba City.

See? It has some good sides!

CDFingers
08-05-2012, 8:23 AM
I avoid rust by shooting them often.

CDFingers

Beelzy
08-05-2012, 9:26 AM
Time for some Old School here...........

Clean all oil off of exterior surfaces then use "Pledge Spray Wax" on a rag to wax the gun.

You're welcome. :D

bob7122
08-05-2012, 9:30 AM

this ^^^

and i coat them in a nice layer of CLP for any period of storage.

Socal858
08-05-2012, 9:43 AM
what part of town and which firearm?

i was in sorrento valley and always threw extra dessicant bags into my safe whenever my roommate or myself bought new electronics.

compulsivegunbuyer
08-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Just a wipe down with plain old gun oil after each use. I have had guns for 20 years that have never rusted with this simple maintenance.

Meety Peety
08-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Is this hard case with the foam cutouts? Or are you talking about soft cases that have soft padding but sowed over?

One thing I forgot to say, I took a cloth with oil, and lined the inside of my soft carrying case too. Usually I leave it in the soft case because I'm just that lazy to take it out.
Both. It can depend on the case though, the nicer ones (Pelican, Starlight etc) are designed to prevent that issue from happening. But for instance those cheap Plano hard cases you see at Big 5 and most factory pistol boxes will have issues. They usually come with a little silica packet inside them, but those little ones don't do a whole lot, especially after a long period of time. If you plan to store your guns inside those cases you'd be fine if you just oil them up every so often. I've never heard of someone oiling the case itself, but I guess that would probably work too.

MrPlutonium
08-05-2012, 11:30 AM
I moved to Arizona.

AngelZ3R0
08-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Slather up the metal parts with WD40.

CGT80
08-05-2012, 3:12 PM
buy stainless guns
clean
oil
store

I lightly wipe the finger prints off my guns after I oil the internals. The outside gets some oil, but not really intentionally. Where I live, that is good enough. This thread reminds me that I need to clean and oil my shotgun, it is the only one that has a blue finish (barrel only).

Mendo223
08-06-2012, 1:50 AM
i have this problem too..i rarely shoot my guns now mostly due to time restraints....

but i have found rust on my mini14.....i try to keep them oiled and put silica packets inside my gun cases....but yeah seriously most of my guns have been sitting for over a year.....man wish i could find some time to take them out again..

BucDan
08-06-2012, 7:41 AM
^ I'll take them out for you :D

FullAuto
08-06-2012, 7:45 AM

This ^ and for extra measure add a dehumidifier rod and a silica pack and you are GTG.

0321jarhead
08-06-2012, 7:47 AM
I have been using "Clenzoil" for about the past ten years. It really cleans and brings out the luster in wood and metal as well as protects against the elements. http://www.clenzoil.com/

loosewreck
08-06-2012, 8:43 AM
I've been using these for over a decade and have been very pleased with the results. They're cheap too.

BoreStore (http://www.borestores.com/)

Ribkick
08-06-2012, 10:23 AM
I've been using these for over a decade and have been very pleased with the results. They're cheap too.

BoreStore (http://www.borestores.com/)

+100

That's the only way to go. My safe is packed and I have a BoreStore sock for each gun. Rifles, shotguns, handguns, and extra barrels. Makes it easy to move them around looking for that day's range trip without leaving finger oils on the others.