PDA

View Full Version : SF arrests homeless guy w/guns in car

mcmikel61
08-04-2012, 9:52 AM
Ran across this on Drudge the other day. Struck me as odd that homeless may not possess firearms, ammo.
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/08/01/homeless-man-found-with-weapons-cache-list-of-names-in-sf-golden-gate-park/

dart368
08-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Here is my take on it:

The search of the car also turned up marijuana and a methamphetamine cookbook, police said.
Johns has pleaded not guilty to eight felony and misdemeanor weapon and drug charges and will return to court on Aug. 7 for his preliminary hearing, district attorney’s office spokesman Alex Bastian said.

They made contact with him for a well being check or maybe they thought it looked suspicious (It's hard to say). They see a gun inside the vehicle and decide to check for legality issues (Maybe the driver gave consent...but we don't know). Police found that some of the weapons were illegal for some reason or another (Length, magazine capacity, no bullet button, etc.). During the search, they find drug paraphernalia and at that time, place him under arrest. The guns were confiscated due to the arrest of drug charges or are being held for safe keeping.

This is obviously all speculation as I wasn't there and have no idea what I am talking about. ;-)

But you bring up a interesting topic. If you were homeless, how would you keep a firearm, especially a rifle so that it stays legal? Let's say that you live in a city/county that prohibits open carry. Let's say you don't have a tent and you are on the streets. I guess you would have to have a long/large back pack/duffle bag.

mcmikel61
08-04-2012, 10:34 AM
I know that there are some hinky aspects to this. But the thing that struck me most was the apparent media presumption that it's wrong for a homeless person to possess firearms. Of course, it's SF so bias must be expected.
Looking at the "arsenal" suggests he knows the restrictions on transporting firearms/ammo. On its face I don't see him as doing anything wrong.
And then, the report seems to equate having names of politicians in the vehicle with being criminal. I could be all wet, though.

P5Ret
08-04-2012, 10:48 AM
A couple things have been left out of the story or just plain ignored. When he was arrested for the weapons charges most of them are for possessing a loaded weapon in a vehicle, he was driving. It was not a welfare check as some have suggested. He was placed on a 5150 W&I hold 2 weeks prior to his arrest, at that time he was contacted in regard to threats he made to someone in the neighborhood. He was seen driving by officers who knew he did not have a drivers license. I don't think there is any question about being homeless and possessing a firearm, as long as you aren't a complete wing nut as this guy very well may be, and the guns actually belong to you.

Sureshot357
08-04-2012, 10:54 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=601085

:dupe:

Librarian
08-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Thank you, Sureshot357