PDA

View Full Version : Bow and arrow OK? Backyard in San Diego county?

NoJoke
08-04-2012, 8:26 AM
My 10 year old would like to practice with a bow and arrow.

Would we be breaking any (control freak) laws?

Corbin Dallas
08-04-2012, 8:35 AM
Found online. I suggest you verify with California Penal Code references.

Might I suggest - http://www.balboapark.org/blog/?p=696

9.04.010 - Furnishing weapons to minors.
Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, it is unlawful in the city for any person, firm or corporation to sell, give, lend or in any way furnish or cause or permit to be sold, given, lent or in any way furnished to any person under the age of eighteen (18) years, any gun, revolver, pistol, firearm, spring gun, air gun, sling, slingshot, or any device designed or intended to discharge or capable of discharging any dangerous missile.

9.04.060 - Discharge of weapon within city prohibited.
Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a person shall not within the city, shoot any arrow or similar missile or fire, discharge, shoot or operate or assist or participate in the firing, discharging, shooting or operating of any gun, revolver, pistol, firearm, spring gun, air gun, sling, slingshot, or device designed or intended to discharge or capable of discharging any dangerous missile or any cartridge, shell, ammunition or device containing any explosive substance designed or intended to be used in or fired from any gun, revolver, pistol or firearm.

9.04.070 - Exceptions.
Nothing in this chapter shall be deemed or construed to prohibit in the city the shooting of any arrow or similar missile when the arrow is shot from and at all times remains on or over the lands upon private property if all persons occupying who have the right to occupy such private property or portion thereof consent thereto.

sdfire
08-04-2012, 8:46 AM
You should be able to shoot bow and arrow in your backyard. Just make sure to keep the arrows in your yard. If the go over the fence, you could have some problems. Or you could go to the archery practice range in balboa park. It's only a $2 donation.

Jack L
08-04-2012, 9:41 AM
When you are as old as I am it makes you stand slack jawed knowing the kids today have to wonder if they can have a little fun even with parental control. I reflect back in my youth how we did not have to consider bow and arrow or .22 rifle laws.

Agro
08-04-2012, 10:10 AM
When you are as old as I am it makes you stand slack jawed knowing the kids today have to wonder if they can have a little fun even with parental control. I reflect back in my youth how we did not have to consider bow and arrow or .22 rifle laws.

I'm only 34 (my dad 64) but when I was in 1st grade my Dad bought me a small compound bow. We built targets in my back yard, we went over safety and practiced together a lot. Later that summer when I was home all day, he would go to work and I would practice without him being there. Yeah, I can see someone saying it was extremely unsafe. I remember it being pretty safe though, I shot down range at the target, then went and retrieved my arrows, <repeat>. I'm sure now if someone caught a kid doing this, the father would be charged with everything they could think up. Oh well.

donw
08-04-2012, 10:37 AM
you say "San Diego county" are you in an unincorporated area or within city limits? if you're in city limits...it's a "No-No" if in an unincorporated area, it depends on WHERE.

i used to shoot in my back yard daily and i lived near 70th and El Cajon Blvd...but...i made sure that arrows DID NOT leave my lot and made sure neighbors and passerby's could not see me. i must emphasize, though, i was taking my chances.

just to find a parking spot at balboa is a challenge.

if your garage is large enough, you can teach him the basics inside your garage.

another factor to consider, is most LE consider the bow and arrow to be a deadly weapon and proceed as such when approaching.

frankm
08-04-2012, 5:10 PM
GTG in Santee or Lakeside, check your local city ordinances.

CDFingers
08-05-2012, 8:08 AM
It is unfortunate about the laws there near Balboa Park in SD. I agree that it should be OK for a kid to shoot arrows in his back yard. My town allows it if the arrows don't go outside the back yard.

But! If the kid wants to learn archery and practice, it is up to the parents to satisfy that craving. Join the kid up to a club; organize weekly jaunts out to the county land where he can shoot; get him a great bow and an unlimited pile of arrows.

Finally, it's a ten year old kid. He's not likely to need a bow bigger than about 15 lbs. So an enterprising set of parents would get some plywood, an archery bag, and the rest and set up a short range range in the garage. For a kid, ten feet is enough.

Don't give up. There's always a way to satisfy target directed motor skills development within the law.

CDFingers

stator
08-05-2012, 1:09 PM
Need to check your home owner's insurance policy as well as municipal codes for your city.

NoJoke
08-05-2012, 1:44 PM
you say "San Diego county" are you in an unincorporated area or within city limits? if you're in city limits...it's a "No-No" if in an unincorporated area, it depends on WHERE.

i used to shoot in my back yard daily and i lived near 70th and El Cajon Blvd...but...i made sure that arrows DID NOT leave my lot and made sure neighbors and passerby's could not see me. i must emphasize, though, i was taking my chances.

just to find a parking spot at balboa is a challenge.

if your garage is large enough, you can teach him the basics inside your garage.

another factor to consider, is most LE consider the bow and arrow to be a deadly weapon and proceed as such when approaching.

Oceanside

bombadillo
08-05-2012, 1:50 PM
You should use your judgement, know your neighbors, and make it a nice quiet event and should be just fine.

llamatrnr
08-05-2012, 2:01 PM
You can shoot it on my place near Santa Ysabel if you like; pm me

Ryan in SD
08-05-2012, 4:29 PM
Seriously, whos going to stop you?

Just doit!

Just as long as you don't get spooked by your own shadow. May want to wait till noon.

NoJoke
08-05-2012, 5:19 PM
You can shoot it on my place near Santa Ysabel if you like; pm me

Thanks John! :D

gun toting monkeyboy
08-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Corbin Dallas's post makes it pretty clear that it is NOT prohibited on your property.