PDA

View Full Version : CNN front page article: 5 things gun owners want you to know

DonFerrando
08-04-2012, 2:58 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/03/us/gun-culture-ireport/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

"Guns are an American pastime. A way to feed a family. A way to protect a family.
A way of life.

Those are some of the words gun owners use to describe their relationship with firearms and the powerful emotions that stir up when they talk about them.

In the days after a gunman killed a dozen theater-goers in Aurora, Colorado, talk turned to gun ownership, access and restrictions, as it often does after mass shootings.

CNN iReport went to the firearms owners and asked for their perspective. We received more than 400 iReports from gun owners. The stories of gun ownership in America and the feelings behind it are diverse and not so easily explained. [...]"

Pretty good for the most part. Lots of dumb comments though.

SanPedroShooter
08-04-2012, 5:57 AM
**** CNN.

alfred1222
08-04-2012, 8:28 AM
**** CNN.

Did you read it??? It really isn't all that bad

mjmagee67
08-04-2012, 8:36 AM
Am I the only one who notices that the last thought in the article was a anti-gun thought.

Perhaps. But more likely, it's wishful thinking to believe "you could have stopped the whole thing, if only you had been there with your .38." said Grayson Cash, an airline pilot who owned his first gun at 13 years old.

"As someone who has some firearm and self-defense training, I find it laughable to think that the average Joe, in a dark theater filled with teargas, could take out a well armed and armored assailant with a five-round .38 special," he said. "Arming more people will only eventually end in an accidental death."

Cash said he rarely fires weapons now, except for at the shooting range, and believes there should be strict rules for firearm purchases.

"I do not think the solution is to arm more people. I think the solution is to figure out what is triggering these people to do this, and to work on that."

Just saying it aint a roses for gun rights. With the parting shot the writer used in the article, it leaves a negative gun spin to the article. People tend to remember the last thing they read the most.

Capybara
08-04-2012, 8:36 AM
Certified Nonsensical News?

WReyth
08-04-2012, 8:46 AM
Am I the only one who notices that the last thought in the article was a anti-gun thought.

Perhaps. But more likely, it's wishful thinking to believe "you could have stopped the whole thing, if only you had been there with your .38." said Grayson Cash, an airline pilot who owned his first gun at 13 years old.

"As someone who has some firearm and self-defense training, I find it laughable to think that the average Joe, in a dark theater filled with teargas, could take out a well armed and armored assailant with a five-round .38 special," he said. "Arming more people will only eventually end in an accidental death."

Cash said he rarely fires weapons now, except for at the shooting range, and believes there should be strict rules for firearm purchases.

"I do not think the solution is to arm more people. I think the solution is to figure out what is triggering these people to do this, and to work on that."

Just saying it aint a roses for gun rights. With the parting shot the writer used in the article, it leaves a negative gun spin to the article. People tend to remember the last thing they read the most.

I think CNN has been anti-gun biased, yes.
"some firearm and self defense training", "rarely fires weapons now", does not establish much credibility, though the article wants to base it's conclusion on it.

hornswaggled
08-04-2012, 9:48 AM
Guns are the flavor of the month for CNN. They'd be stupid NOT to capitalize on it and have some type of gun article every day, which they have since Aurora. A year from now it'll be something else that makes headlines.

promo776
08-04-2012, 9:45 PM
Communist News Network.

Nuff' said.

Lulfas
08-05-2012, 8:52 AM

While anti-gun, in this case, it is probably correct. The situation was one where a CCW wouldn't have been especially useful. Full body armor and mask, dark area, gas everywhere.

jonkull
08-05-2012, 9:11 AM
I was actually contacted to participate in this article after the author read something I had posted on the CNN website. I was worried about being taken out of context so I passed. I had regretted not participating at first but now I'm glad I didn't. It's interesting (in a sad way) how she turned it into a (on the surface) pro-gun story while keeping an anti-gun slant. It's sad because the initial contact she made with me made it seem like he was going to be unbiased.

AK all day
08-05-2012, 9:15 AM
Wasn't the guy only wearing a tactical vest, not armor in Colorado?

desertjosh
08-05-2012, 9:21 AM

Yes I think so. Also his gas mask wasnt bulletproof.

jonkull
08-05-2012, 9:24 AM

Yes but the media seems to have glossed over that fact. Another story that hasn't received much press outside of a small blurb on Huffingtonpost was that his psychiatrist warned the school that he was planning on killing people and no one bothered calling the police. I guess failure on the part of a school and a doctor to notifiy police about something that could have prevented a massacre is not as important a story as blaming the gun he used.

FatalKitty
08-05-2012, 9:25 AM
While anti-gun, in this case, it is probably correct. The situation was one where a CCW wouldn't have been especially useful. Full body armor and mask, dark area, gas everywhere.

for the millionth time... the guy was NOT wearing armor. not even a little bit of it, let alone full body armor

Lulfas
08-05-2012, 12:50 PM
for the millionth time... the guy was NOT wearing armor. not even a little bit of it, let alone full body armor

My apologies then, I hadn't followed the story very closely since it first came out. At the time, the story was full armor.

DonFerrando
08-05-2012, 12:53 PM

Probably doesn't matter. Somebody standing up to him would have taken the focus off the others.

LAL6
08-05-2012, 12:59 PM
"As a young woman who lives alone and lives in a rather rough area of town, guns are what allow me to sleep at night." -- Layland Oberschulte, Napa Valley, California

LOL napa valley is Rough!

mroels
08-06-2012, 2:42 AM

In my humble opinion having a CCW in this instance would've been like wearing a helmet while sky diving. If your chute doesn't open (and I'm aware that the helmet isn't just for those extreme cases) the helmet probably won't make any difference. But once in a while it'll save a life....

While I certainly hope these shootings don't continue at some point I hope one gets ended by someone with a CCW to show the positive side. And I hope the media wont spin that story.

miztic
08-06-2012, 6:20 AM
In my humble opinion having a CCW in this instance would've been like wearing a helmet while sky diving. If your chute doesn't open (and I'm aware that the helmet isn't just for those extreme cases) the helmet probably won't make any difference. But once in a while it'll save a life....

People keep repeating how it wouldn't do any good to have a CCW in the colorado shooting case, but I beg to differ, I have seen at least two reports of people who survived saying they had brass bouncing off their head, if you're that close, you could take a shot.
and secondly, I'd rather have a chance then none at all, all it takes is one guy in the right place at the right time, it's not a magic solution that will fix everything and nobody would have been hurt, but having a CCW in that situation can only help.

ponderosa
08-06-2012, 7:11 AM
People keep repeating how it wouldn't do any good to have a CCW in the colorado shooting case, but I beg to differ, I have seen at least two reports of people who survived saying they had brass bouncing off their head, if you're that close, you could take a shot.
and secondly, I'd rather have a chance then none at all, all it takes is one guy in the right place at the right time, it's not a magic solution that will fix everything and nobody would have been hurt, but having a CCW in that situation can only help.

TOTALLY

Mesa Tactical
08-06-2012, 7:25 AM

Holy crap. Where was he firing his guns before?

tbhracing
08-06-2012, 7:32 AM
Tagged

tbhracing
08-06-2012, 7:36 AM
"As a young woman who lives alone and lives in a rather rough area of town, guns are what allow me to sleep at night." -- Layland Oberschulte, Napa Valley, California

LOL napa valley is Rough!
Actually, some part are not good.

Decoligny
08-06-2012, 8:05 AM

While I certainly hope these shootings don't continue at some point I hope one gets ended by someone with a CCW to show the positive side. And I hope the media wont spin that story.

From a PR perspective it is a lose/lose situation for the CCW holder in a active shooter scenario.

Option 1: If it gets ended by a CCW holder before the shooter takes out a bunch of people, it will not make the news because 15 people were NOT killed. No body count equals no news. No "Hero Status" for the CCW holder.

Option 2: If it get ended by a CCW holder after the shooter takes out a bunch of people, it will make the news, and then they will focus on how even though there was a CCW holder there who "eventually" took out the shooter, it didn't make much difference because "look at all the people the shooter was able to kill".

Glock22Fan
08-06-2012, 8:46 AM

I hate these myopic people. OK, there's times when having a CCW (and the gun that should go with it) won't do any good. BUt, it won't do any harm either. When you have a potential maximum gain of double figure lives saved, against a potential minumum gain of no extra lives lost, why not carry a firearm? It's a "Heads I win, tails I don't lose" situation.

And in this case, it is far from clear that a CCW holder, especially one who takes training seriously, would not have cut the rampage short.

tenpercentfirearms
08-06-2012, 8:59 AM
There are two scenarios to ponder. One: no one in the theater has a gun except the bad guys. Unfortunately we know exactly how that played out.

Two: someone in the theater has a CCW or even illegally carries. I am not sure how any rationally sound person can think the situation would have been worse than 12 dead and 50 wounded.

People keep saying it wouldn't have made a difference. Well then I guess we have the same result then don't we. Lots of wounded or dead people. However, we all know it might have made a difference and it certainly has a much larger potential of making a difference than saying, "I am unarmed, please don't shoot me!"

The logic fail of these people is amazing. Not to mention the videos of people with guns sending armed robbers running in the last month. Firearms in the hands of law abiding citizens makes a difference.

Gothboy
08-06-2012, 9:23 AM
I felt the article was not one sided and applaud CNN for that, however, Unfortunately 1 positive in a sea of negatives is simply not going to make or break our case for us. As far as the CCW argument i feel its six of one/half dozen the other side, and since we will never know until someone proves the example that makes the entire subject discussion superfluous. Something helpful to do might be to correct each article written about the colorado incident to the effect that the shootist was not in full armor, or even any armor. Though this would be extensive and probably never happen, it would only serve as a refrence if (and I hope it never does) this type of situation should happen again. Thereby potentially supporting the CCW argument. Having a past negative situation and a similar positive situation may help people see that they in fact CAN help themselves, if armed responsibly. We've all seen the video of the armed elderly patron firing back on the assailants. Perhaps we could manage to make that the counter argument for the colorado incident? Just my .02 -GothY-

GW
08-06-2012, 9:48 AM
People keep saying it wouldn't have made a difference. Well then I guess we have the same result then don't we. Lots of wounded or dead people. However, we all know it might have made a difference and it certainly has a much larger potential of making a difference than saying, "I am unarmed, please don't shoot me!"
Indeed! And even if the bad guy did have armor, please tell me how he can ignore 300 ft/lbs of impact when he gets hit with a 9mm regardless of whether it penetrates the armor or not. As someone else said --At least you have a chance with a gun.
Amen

jwkincal
08-06-2012, 10:49 AM
I hate these myopic people. OK, there's times when having a CCW (and the gun that should go with it) won't do any good. BUt, it won't do any harm either. When you have a potential maximum gain of double figure lives saved, against a potential minumum gain of no extra lives lost, why not carry a firearm? It's a "Heads I win, tails I don't lose" situation.

And in this case, it is far from clear that a CCW holder, especially one who takes training seriously, would not have cut the rampage short.

Yeah, it's annoying how the media always floats the concept of a completely untrained and undisciplined CCW holder as the exemplary case when we know that many of them are well-trained and actually practice more often than the LE personnel...

tenpercentfirearms
08-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Yeah, it's annoying how the media always floats the concept of a completely untrained and undisciplined CCW holder as the exemplary case when we know that many of them are well-trained and actually practice more often than the LE personnel...

I still think an untrained person with a gun has a hell of a lot better chance than any person without a gun just waiting for their death.

em9sredbeam
08-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Are there any pictures out of what that scumbag was actually wearing? I am glad there was atleast some well-spoken pro gun comments.

Wherryj
08-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Did you read it??? It really isn't all that bad

Even if it's a great article, I agree with the previous poster. ;)