PDA

View Full Version : Poisoning of doves?

dmcmillenfv
08-03-2012, 9:37 PM
I just found out the the company I work for has put up poision to kill pest birds. I saw a white wing mourning dove flying erratically, running into walls, as if it might have been poisoned. Is it legal for this company to do this? I am a avid dove hunter, and can't stand when "pest control" is done in this manner.

njineermike
08-03-2012, 9:42 PM
Probably not. There is a good chance a protected species could get the poison as easily as a pest. You don't have to report them, but if the location were to accidentally slip out.....

dmcmillenfv
08-03-2012, 9:45 PM
Not to worry.. I will be calling fish and game first thing mon. Morning. I work in long beach.

Jeepergeo
08-04-2012, 7:22 AM
Not to worry.. I will be calling fish and game first thing mon. Morning. I work in long beach.

Why not talk to management or the owner and point out a more or equaly effective ways to control their bird problem?

Intimid8tor
08-04-2012, 7:41 AM
I just found out the the company I work for has put up poision to kill pest birds. I saw a white wing mourning dove flying erratically, running into walls, as if it might have been poisoned. Is it legal for this company to do this? I am a avid dove hunter, and can't stand when "pest control" is done in this manner.

How do you know it was your company? Did they say they are poisoning birds? Did you see them poisoning birds? I only ask because you said you saw a bird flying erratically. Couldn't the bird have flown in from somewhere else?

If you know for a fact they are poisoning birds, you might bring it up to them first. Going around them and straight to DFG doesn't demonstrate a lot of loyalty or respect for the company paying your bills. You may find they didn't know and you can be a hero by helping them avoid issues. You may find they have a depredation permit.

Fjold
08-04-2012, 8:05 AM
Pest control companies are allowed to poison pest birds like pigeons, starlings, etc. but they are not allowed to put poison down if the see or know that dove are in the area.