PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think that this is odd??

explorerdude
08-03-2012, 5:59 PM
Safe Handling Demonstration Exemption for Physical Disability

Handgun purchasers/recipients who are physically unable to perform the safe handling demonstration due to a medical disability are exempt from the safe handling demonstration requirement. To qualify for the exemption, the individual must provide a signed, written letter from a licensed physician attesting that a physical disability precludes the purchaser/recipient from being able to perform the safe handling demonstration. The physician’s letter must be attached to the DROS in place of a Safe Handling Affidavit. This exemption applies to the safe handling demonstration only. There is no exemption to the Handgun Safety Certificate requirement based on physical disability.

Taken from the CA DOJ HSC Manual for Instructors and Dealers. If someone cannot physically perform the demonstration, wouldn't that mean that they cannot use the gun properly?? IDK i don't mean to be a hater but ehhh

keenkeen
08-03-2012, 6:34 PM
Someone could assist them at the range etc...Seems to make sense to me to have this exemption so people with physical issues can still enjoy gun ownership.

keenkeen
08-03-2012, 6:35 PM
Someone could assist them at the range etc...Seems to make sense to me to have this exemption so people with physical issues can still enjoy gun ownership.

Bartin
08-03-2012, 7:00 PM
I agree with keenkeen

CSACANNONEER
08-03-2012, 7:11 PM
Well, Disarmed Marksman doesn't need assistance shooting but, it would not be possible for him to do everything the way the DOJ wants him to.

Another friend of mine was/is(?) involved in taking kids from a school for the blind out shooting. Obviously, a blind shooter would be incapable of the required visual inspections of a firearm. Yet, most of them really enjoy shooting safely and, many are better shots (with a little assistance and coaching) than a lot of members here.

Just because someone can't go through the DOJ's cookie cutter safety demonstration, it doesn't mean that he/she is incapable of handling a firearm safely.

Now the scary thing. A mental defect is a "medical condition". Does that mean that CA makes it easier for a mentally unbalance person to buy a gun? It could.