PDA

View Full Version : Official 2012 Deer hunting report thread

taperxz
08-03-2012, 5:38 PM
One week till the general season A zone.

devil83dog@hotmail.com
08-03-2012, 6:03 PM
Can't wait. My rifle is ready for a shot and my legs are ready for some hiking.

pieeater
08-03-2012, 6:55 PM
PLM ranches are already opening, should be some pics out soon.

180ls1
08-03-2012, 8:49 PM
cant wait to get out, havent been able to scout yet but im optimistic this year. I am every year and still come home empty haha.

Shoot-it
08-03-2012, 9:51 PM
i have been bow hunting public land all i saw were a few spikes.One buck was legal but he was in a non hunting area go figure.

taperxz
09-14-2012, 11:24 PM
One down tonight. One tag to go.

Shoot-it
09-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Post a picture of it we like to see dead bucks.

rooster85
09-15-2012, 3:10 PM
Where's the story and photo taper? I heard E took a nice buck the other week too.

ChrisO
09-15-2012, 5:34 PM
First buck with archery, It's also my first year archery hunting period. I lasered this guy at 63 yards spotted him at 150 and put a stalk on him 63 was as close as it was getting... 100 gr grim reaper. I saw a huge 4x5 at 40 yards right after I killed this guy DOH!!! It's meat in the freezer though and I've had my fair share of big bucks with rifles so it was exciting none the less. I got this guy in D5.
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/Chrisotk/-1-2.jpg

jmonte35
09-15-2012, 7:13 PM
^^^im sure theres a fork on that deer somewhere.....surprised youd be able to see it at 63 yds.

ChrisO
09-15-2012, 7:38 PM
There is indeed a decent fork on there. Like I said spotted at 150 yards and put a stalk on him. Was able to ID with Binos and reconfirm before taking the shot.

jmonte35
09-15-2012, 8:18 PM
Well on a positive note at least you hit it in the neck and saved what meat is on that guy......as for being bummed about not getting a chance at that big bucks afterwards...well don't shoot yearlings...problem solved. Good kill enjoy the meat should be tasty.

VaderSpade
09-15-2012, 9:15 PM
Opening day in B zone, and one forky hanging in camp.

ChrisO
09-15-2012, 9:40 PM
Well on a positive note at least you hit it in the neck and saved what meat is on that guy......as for being bummed about not getting a chance at that big bucks afterwards...well don't shoot yearlings...problem solved. Good kill enjoy the meat should be tasty.

I usually don't but I told myself that I wouldn't be picky with my first deer with a bow. It's meat in the freezer and one tag down.

huntandski
09-15-2012, 9:47 PM
cant wait to get out, havent been able to scout yet but im optimistic this year. I am every year and still come home empty haha.

I feel your pain. I have been hunting for about a year and a half, and for the first 9 months, I got skunked every time.

This is my first deer hunt! I'm so excited!

huntandski
09-15-2012, 9:51 PM
I usually don't but I told myself that I wouldn't be picky with my first deer with a bow. It's meat in the freezer and one tag down.

This is my first deer hunt, I'm shooting anything legal. Especially since I'm hunting in the desert.

pieeater
09-16-2012, 9:04 AM
First buck with archery, It's also my first year archery hunting period. I lasered this guy at 63 yards spotted him at 150 and put a stalk on him 63 was as close as it was getting... 100 gr grim reaper. I saw a huge 4x5 at 40 yards right after I killed this guy DOH!!! It's meat in the freezer though and I've had my fair share of big bucks with rifles so it was exciting none the less. I got this guy in D5.

To me either its a mounter or its not. I will shoot a tiny fork or spike/fork over a small 3 or 4 point. Just because I believe they are the best eating. Oh and nice bow kill congrats.

vega
09-16-2012, 9:12 AM
Newbie question - What is a fork?

And congrats on your kill!

toby
09-16-2012, 9:23 AM
Newbie question - What is a fork?

And congrats on your kill!

A fork is an antler that splits into two above the base of the antler so it looks like a sling shot. ie=fork, two pointer, Some will do this only on one side sometimes but most will have it on both. when on both it can still be considered a Forkie or a 2x2, back east and Texas they call it a 4 pointer

ChrisO
09-16-2012, 9:32 AM
To me either its a mounter or its not. I will shoot a tiny fork or spike/fork over a small 3 or 4 point. Just because I believe they are the best eating. Oh and nice bow kill congrats.

They definitely are the best eating! This buck is one of the better eating ones I've harvested. I agree it's either a mounter or not. I've had a few and like I said first year bow hunting. I'm very happy with it. Getting in close enough on a stalk to make a good ethical shot isn't as easy as some would think. Especially in crap as dry as it was!

jmonte35
09-16-2012, 9:58 AM

why not mature over young....yes mounter is great but I would think as a hunter we should shoot for mature animals.....IMO that buck could have had more time to grow and breed some does.

I'm not disagreeing with the kill...it was legal and will provide some meat....but not sure I agree with targeting young bucks as you say...

Back east we can shoot does.....I don't know a single person who is proud of a yearling doe kill....everyone tries to take a mature doe. Legal yes...frowned upon yes.

Sinestr
09-16-2012, 10:55 AM

Great job ! If I had the opportunity in this lovely state:rolleyes: to take a forky with a bow I wouldn't hesitate. It's meat in the fridge and that's saying allot for D 5.

pieeater
09-16-2012, 1:13 PM
why not mature over young....yes mounter is great but I would think as a hunter we should shoot for mature animals.....IMO that buck could have had more time to grow and breed some does.

I'm not disagreeing with the kill...it was legal and will provide some meat....but not sure I agree with targeting young bucks as you say...

Back east we can shoot does.....I don't know a single person who is proud of a yearling doe kill....everyone tries to take a mature doe. Legal yes...frowned upon yes.

Im not saying its good for the herd im just saying I think they are better eating. Thats a D5 buck it would mostly die in a 20 or 30 round barrage of gunfire 5 minutes into opening day. Way too many tags given out in this state and I dont blame DFG. The hunters want oppurtunity to hunt over quality of herds.

Ive hunted D5 a few times when I was younger. One trip I took the week off after the opener so i didnt have to deal with crowds and hunted mon thru friday. In 5 days of walking my *** off I found 6 spikes that had been shot and left to rot from the opener. Thats the kind of stuff thats messing up our herds.

taperxz
09-16-2012, 3:58 PM
Where's the story and photo taper? I heard E took a nice buck the other week too.

No story other than saw a buck and shot it. Not pic worthy, just a (good) meat buck, forked horn. You can't even make soup out that bone. Saw another one in another area but couldn't get a shot off. Will get him later this week.;)

wjc
09-16-2012, 4:21 PM
Got my first buck ever!

2x2 with eye guards in the A zone.

The funny thing is the fridge in my apartment couldn't hold all the meat. I had to buy a chest freezer to store it all. I'm probably the only guy in my area with a loaded chest freezer in his apartment.

Congrats to all the other successful hunters!

:D

mzhunter
09-16-2012, 5:22 PM
I GOT HIM IN THE NECK HOLMES !!!!!!!
YOU DID GOOD LITTLE PUPPET !!!!!!

lewdogg21
09-16-2012, 6:24 PM
Got my first buck ever!

The funny thing is the fridge in my apartment couldn't hold all the meat. I had to buy a chest freezer to store it all. I'm probably the only guy in my area with a loaded chest freezer in his apartment.

Congrats on your first. :)

spectr17
09-16-2012, 6:28 PM
Congrats on the nice bucks wjc and Chris O. :cheers2:

pieeater
09-16-2012, 8:40 PM
Got my first buck ever!

Nice buck congrats!

waterfern
09-16-2012, 8:51 PM
Seems like people are getting many nice deer this year. Congrats everyone!

victor1echo
09-16-2012, 8:56 PM
++Just looking and admiring the harvest. Congratulations to all! Especially the bow hunter.

RoyBatty
09-16-2012, 9:02 PM
Going to X1 in 3 weeks...I confirmed the zero on my rifle yesterday!

Ism415
09-16-2012, 9:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/ism415/2ADE1A79-DF2C-4993-BFD4-9B6D6DAB34F7-417-00000035C02068E7.jpg

Shoot-it
09-16-2012, 9:10 PM
Good job on the bucks it's hard to fill your tag what do you expect it's CA.I went from public early morning to private land and still got nothing .I was charged by a few squirrels and had bunnies running around me.

taperxz
09-16-2012, 9:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/ism415/2ADE1A79-DF2C-4993-BFD4-9B6D6DAB34F7-417-00000035C02068E7.jpg

You need to wipe the milk off it's lips.

Ism415
09-16-2012, 9:18 PM
Hes just smilin at ya

lewdogg21
09-16-2012, 9:20 PM
You need to wipe the milk off it's lips.

I'll shoot that buck in A-zone this coming weekend. :D

taperxz
09-16-2012, 9:26 PM
I'll shoot that buck in A-zone this coming weekend. :D

I already did:D

DeanW66
09-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Congrats to all of you.

mofugly13
09-17-2012, 6:18 AM
Got this bruiser forked horn on Saturday morning in Mendocino county A-zone. My first buck was a small fork, not worthy of a photo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mofugly13/photobucket-12182-1347887804876.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mofugly13/photobucket-12067-1347887805600.jpg

jmonte35
09-17-2012, 6:40 AM
Im not saying its good for the herd im just saying I think they are better eating. Thats a D5 buck it would mostly die in a 20 or 30 round barrage of gunfire 5 minutes into opening day. Way too many tags given out in this state and I dont blame DFG. The hunters want oppurtunity to hunt over quality of herds.

Ive hunted D5 a few times when I was younger. One trip I took the week off after the opener so i didnt have to deal with crowds and hunted mon thru friday. In 5 days of walking my *** off I found 6 spikes that had been shot and left to rot from the opener. Thats the kind of stuff thats messing up our herds.

Thats sad man....there are a lot of problems with poaching in this state from what I can tell. Maybe I never paid attention much to the last few deer threads but in a hunting forum I guess I didn't expect to see proud pics of dinks. Just a different culture from what I gather....and I definitly understand the low success rates making hunters a lot more trigger happy.

lewdogg21
09-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Thats sad man....there are a lot of problems with poaching in this state from what I can tell. Maybe I never paid attention much to the last few deer threads but in a hunting forum I guess I didn't expect to see proud pics of dinks. Just a different culture from what I gather....and I definitly understand the low success rates making hunters a lot more trigger happy.

Tis tough sledding out here compared to back east. Especially on public land. :(

Rusty_Buckhorn
09-17-2012, 12:51 PM
any deer in CA with a bow is a trophy, specially ones 1st archery kill. You may also keep in mind, crapping all over someones 1st deer just makes you look like a douchebag.

rodeoflyer
09-17-2012, 1:10 PM
2-8 percent success rate for most of the state, and you crap on a guy getting his first bow kill.

What an ***.

jmonte35
09-17-2012, 1:33 PM
any deer in CA with a bow is a trophy, specially ones 1st archery kill. You may also keep in mind, crapping all over someones 1st deer just makes you look like a douchebag.

Not crapping on his buck at all....like I said good kill....to each their own....he was bummed about not getting the shot at a big one right after he shot the dink...all I said was to have a shot at big ones you need to let go dinks. Pretty simple. We've all shot dinks....for many the first is always a dink....I also know many that wait for a mature animal not just the first warm blooded animal to walk by.

If you would have read on you would of seen me and Pie were discussing something completely different than a guys first bow kill.

But sure douchebag...I've been called worse...

I'm not going to defend my beliefs nor should you....If you're happy with your legal kill then great....to me dinks are for kids....first time bow kill great!

jmonte35
09-17-2012, 1:40 PM
Got my first buck ever!

Nice looking deer....I'm becoming more and more of a fan of the big wide symmetrical forks pretty cool with eye guards on both sides.......decent body on him too.

VaderSpade
09-17-2012, 1:41 PM
"to me dinks are for kids"

If that ain't crapping nothing is!!!

jmonte35
09-17-2012, 1:48 PM
"to me dinks are for kids"

If that ain't crapping nothing is!!!

yeah I guess you're right....not trying to crap his deer at all...I have taken dinks before too...not saying it's unnacceptable......if you are happy with your kill than no one should be able to say anything different.

I was really having a side discussion with pie that turned into ethics....personally I don't care....unless it's my property. It's the same discussion we'll have in spring turkey...I don't shoot jakes....because this years jake is next years tom.....but once again I hunt mostly private. If kids or first timers come out I let them shoot what ever....Once again as long as they are happy that's all I care about.

Rusty_Buckhorn
09-17-2012, 2:18 PM
whatever you think jmonte35... I was just telling you how your 1st few posts on this thread made you appear.

knightstalker83
09-17-2012, 2:43 PM
Jmonte35, at least he got one

lewdogg21
09-17-2012, 3:15 PM
Dont' worry everyone. I will shoot **** ducks on the opener in a few weeks and then everyone can pile on me as my strap is full of greasy gadwalls, spoonies, mergansers, and other garbage. :)

Ism415
09-17-2012, 3:22 PM
I am ready for this weekend!! just finished 6lbs of jerk for the week off that I am taking!! CANT WAIT!

ChrisO
09-17-2012, 4:49 PM
Not my first rodeo by the way bud. As I said FIRST TIME ARCHERY HUNTING, not rifle... http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/Chrisotk/download-39.jpg
Year before harvest also taken in D5 fully dressed didn't have a camera in the field, Last years don't have a pic of but a nice 2x3

jmonte35
09-17-2012, 6:04 PM
Not my first rodeo by the way bud. As I said FIRST TIME ARCHERY HUNTING, not rifle... http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/Chrisotk/download-39.jpg
Year before harvest also taken in D5 fully dressed didn't have a camera in the field, Last years don't have a pic of but a nice 2x3

dink...throw it back...

jmonte35
09-17-2012, 6:06 PM
Dont' worry everyone. I will shoot **** ducks on the opener in a few weeks and then everyone can pile on me as my strap is full of greasy gadwalls, spoonies, mergansers, and other garbage. :)

Save some coots for me....

lewdogg21
09-17-2012, 7:58 PM
Save some coots for me....

Oh yes. 25 bag limit. I'll make a ton of coot jerky and then give it to people on calguns. Change my name to "professionalcoothunter" and "Lewpro" will be my other account

lemonademaker
09-17-2012, 8:47 PM
Anybody hunted Cleveland much? I can't stray far from home and that what I'll be looking at.

rooster85
09-17-2012, 9:21 PM
Oh yes. 25 bag limit. I'll make a ton of coot jerky and then give it to people on calguns. Change my name to "professionalcoothunter" and "Lewpro" will be my other account

Lol.

wjc
09-18-2012, 5:49 PM
Nice looking deer....I'm becoming more and more of a fan of the big wide symmetrical forks pretty cool with eye guards on both sides.......decent body on him too.

I saw one with an even wider spread but he didn't have any forks. He would have been bigger than this deer.

Maybe next year...

taperxz
09-23-2012, 1:09 PM
Filled my second tag this morning at 6:50 AM. Another forked horn (meat buck) But at least i filled both my tags again.

chicoredneck
09-23-2012, 1:14 PM
Filled my second tag this morning at 6:50 AM. Another forked horn (meat buck) But at least i filled both my tags again.

Like pie said, they are either trophys or not. I dont understand people shooting the biggest little buck and somehow thinking that is better. They are almost all meat bucks, very few are trophys.

VaderSpade
09-23-2012, 1:16 PM
You must be running out of time in your area, I've passed the same two forkey's at my favorite honey hole almost every day. I just hope they stick around if I can't find anything bigger.

VaderSpade
09-23-2012, 1:19 PM
Like pie said, they are either trophys or not. I dont understand people shooting the biggest little buck and somehow thinking that is better. They are almost all meat bucks, very few are trophys.

Well when you fill your tags you're done hunting, so holding out gets me a little more time in the woods, AND a small four point does have more meat than a small forky.

taperxz
09-23-2012, 6:51 PM
You must be running out of time in your area, I've passed the same two forkey's at my favorite honey hole almost every day. I just hope they stick around if I can't find anything bigger.

We are done this evening, A zone is closed in about 1 hour. This morning was my last hunt so i said what the heck to fill my tag.

Bad thing is yesterday morning i took a shot at a buck that was probably 24 wide. He was followed by another one like him and followed by another one like him. They were running straight up a hill at 250 yards and dodging brush and oaks. One of those deals when you gotta make a decision on when to shoot. I chose poorly. I'm glad there isn't a wounded trophy buck though and i will be after him next year :) (and his brethren)

As a side note, Ive been using a 308 bolt action the last few years and on my first buck this year. This morning i chose to use my 243. It did more damage. Jellied up the meat. Also, the buck ran 25 yards after hitting it in the vitals. I was surprised as the buck didn't even jump (curl its back) it just ran. I actually thought i missed till i went and found the blood trail. I never killed (i don't harvest, that's for women in gardens) a buck with a 243 before.

taperxz
09-23-2012, 6:52 PM
Well when you fill your tags you're done hunting, so holding out gets me a little more time in the woods, AND a small four point does have more meat than a small forky.

WTF? My bear tag is now expired?:p

chicoredneck
09-23-2012, 8:57 PM
^What bullet did you use in your 243? I think a lot of people underestimate the power of some of the smaller bores. I have long used a 25-06 and I grew to prefer the 100gr loads over the 120gr because I thought they performed better. I don't know why, but they just seemed to drop them a little faster given the same shot.

If you like that 243, I have a nice semi-auto 243 super short mag available! I just couldn't resist, lol.

Freeballer
09-24-2012, 4:13 PM
D-3, 30 yards, .257 Roberts with 117 grain +P. Nice little 4x4. 4:30 PM.

**I know the pic makes it look like a 3x3, but the other points are hiding.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=170928&stc=1&d=1348527983

Shoot-it
09-25-2012, 7:57 AM
tag soup A zone still have my AO tag.Real nice buck freeballer something is wrong with your face your real light complected.

Damn True
09-26-2012, 2:25 PM
D3-5

Spotted:
2 doe
1 Coyote
1 Beautiful Auburn haired bear
50 Grouse
1 legal buck 2x3 that spooked when some goon 1/4mi up the ridge lit off a pot shot.

Came home empty handed.

Bull Elk
09-26-2012, 4:36 PM
Well.....last week in zone C4 my hunting buddies shot 3 bucks (all small forks) and were lucky and shot 3 bears while deer hunting, including one tremendous bear. Me? I've shot one bear and that's enough for a life time (smelly, greasy and taste like dog excrement). I could have shot 2 German Shepard size folkies, but didn't. I'm headed to Craig Colorado in 3 weeks. This ranch (Y Lazy S) has outstanding Mule deer. I'll wait until then to shoot one.

Congrats to all on this post who were successful. In CA, a legal buck of any size is a trophy!

Bull Elk

Paradactal
09-28-2012, 4:17 PM
This was my first buck!! Nice 3x3 out of D6171503171504

lewdogg21
09-28-2012, 4:35 PM
How long did you have to boil to get all the crap off (after scraped clean)?

Paradactal
09-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Boiled for about 3 hours. Got one more session to go. Sitting in a trash bag stinking up my garage

VaderSpade
10-05-2012, 3:10 PM
I went out on opening day with my little brother and he shot a small forky. I haven't had a chance to get out much since then. Just short walk around the property, I've passed on a couple of small forkies at one of my honey holes.
But with just a couple weeks left and two tags to fill I decided not to pass on this one. One tag to go.

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx174/VaderSpade/Dscn1127.jpg
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx174/VaderSpade/Dscn1126.jpg

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx174/VaderSpade/Cdy00665.jpg
Funny thing is there has NOT been a buck on my trail cam for weeks (long before season. But here's the buck just before I shot him (on the right). That's a bullet hole on his shoulder someone shot him earlier this season and not a bad shot it passed clean through and was healing up just fine.

taperxz
10-05-2012, 6:49 PM
Nice buck!

If you read my earlier post i missed a chance on 3 monsters. Now that the season is over. on my way back from picking up hay, I saw one of them with two does. I cried! 4x4 over 22 wide and probably 20 high, real nice eye guards. Sucker just stood there looking at me @ 30 yards with two does in front of him. Next year!

chicoredneck
10-06-2012, 5:18 AM
That old bullet hole is pretty cool. What did it do, slip under the spine and over the lungs? Pretty amazing that he survived a shot like that.

pennstater
10-06-2012, 7:41 AM
Got back from X-12 last Sat. The day before leaving, me and my buddy shot twin forked horns ten feet apart from each other. Not big, but two bucks on our last day. I tell ya, at 62 years old, those damn mountains are getting steeper! Worth every minute.

devil83dog@hotmail.com
10-06-2012, 9:51 AM
No A-zone buck for me this year. Hopefully D11 brings me luck.

Sureshot357
10-08-2012, 6:28 PM
I too got a buck in A zone. Nice 3 pointer with eye guards.

Sureshot357
10-08-2012, 6:31 PM

Nothing wrong with meat bucks:D

Ism415
10-08-2012, 7:10 PM
http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/showthread.php/232115-Jackson-meadows-webber-lake-roll-call!!!

my d3 hunting report so far
we have has a few bucks. some bears. crazy crazy

chicoredneck
10-15-2012, 6:46 PM
My wife killed her very first deer this afternoon. A nice tasty 2x1! Pics and story will be posted later.

devil83dog@hotmail.com
10-15-2012, 6:50 PM
Nice.....been trying to get my girl into hunting. Just bought her 1st gun, Davis p380.

MissionMTMan
10-15-2012, 7:46 PM
Nice looking deer. 63 yards is a good distance for a bow. I have not had the time for 4 years to bow hunt. Ism415 your buck in velvet looks great. Pieeater where did you get that elk at?

rodeoflyer
10-15-2012, 7:50 PM
Nice.....been trying to get my girl into hunting. Just bought her 1st gun, Davis p380.

That's not an effective gun for hunting.

You need at least a .223 :p

lewdogg21
10-15-2012, 8:00 PM
My wife killed her very first deer this afternoon. A nice tasty 2x1! Pics and story will be posted later.

Post em here or email em to me. Glad SOMEBODY kills something on this board. :p

chicoredneck
10-15-2012, 8:05 PM
Some crappy cell phone pics.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g389/chicoredneck/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5148.jpg
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g389/chicoredneck/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9687.jpg
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g389/chicoredneck/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6282.jpg

pieeater
10-15-2012, 8:05 PM
Nice looking deer. 63 yards is a good distance for a bow. I have not had the time for 4 years to bow hunt. Ism415 your buck in velvet looks great. Pieeater where did you get that elk at?

Unit 111 Nevada

pieeater
10-15-2012, 8:07 PM
Some crappy cell phone pics.

[/IMG]

Nice!

pieeater
10-15-2012, 8:23 PM

I put my wife through all kinds of torture hunting with me when we were young. She fell once hit her head and was knocked unconsience and miscarried the next day. Our first trip together we slept under a tarp and got dumped on all nite. And she fell again down a steep hill and ended up in some berrie bushes and was a bloody mess. And a few more., luckily I didnt scare her off.

My advice would be not to drag her out to some craphole blm. There are good lodge hunts around that are reasonable. You can do a pig or turkey for 800 to 1200 or a management deer for 1750 to 3000. 900 bucks for a 3 day 2 nite pig or turkey where you can stay in a nice house have your meals cooked for you drive around and see a ton of game for 3 days is way cheaper than disneyland or hawaii. Some of these places will let you ride horses or fish their unfished lakes or ponds if you tag out early. Go somewhere where she can relax be comfortable and have fun.

chicoredneck
10-15-2012, 8:28 PM
I was out field testing some ammunition on Saturday afternoon and had just moved back to the 800 yard line. When I was trying to laser the target to confirm my distance a deer that looked like a buck walked down over the hill and stopped right in front of my target (I had been shooting for a good 30min at this point). As I scrambled to get my rifle ready the deer moved down into the trees, but not before I saw that he was legal. I moved into where I though he was going and jumped a decent 2x2 out of his bed in some willows. I decided to come back with my wife on Monday to see if we couldn't get her her first buck.

My father, myself, and my wife went back to where I had jumped the buck two days earlier, but he was not in his bed. We fanned out and moved through the property to the main draw. My father said he saw some deer at the top of the hill chasing each other around so my wife and I moved up to where we could see them. We caught a glimpse of two deer that disappeared into some old rock building ruins. We waited for a couple of minutes for the deer to come out the other side, but didn't see them. Then two more deer came down the hill towards the rock ruins. We could see that one of them had horns.

After a few minutes of waiting for the deer to step back into sight to no avail, we decided to sneak up a little further for a different perspective. Then we saw two bucks, a 2x2 and a 2x1 just down the hill below us, sparring and chasing each other. My wife put the sneak on them to within 80 yards and busted this little guy when he finally stopped running around. The buck cried after it was hit, which I have never seen happen before. Of course this got the wife's tears running, but afterwards she was ecstatic.

The 2x2 ran off and I headed up the hill to go get the truck. At the top of the hill a pair of very nice bucks, a 4x and a 3x ran right by me. I took a shot and missed. Somehow the first two deer we saw had made it up the hill in front of us undetected and hung out even after my wife shot her deer. These guys were MONSTERS! So we will be back later this week to try and hunt them out.

I was so excited and pumped up for my wife - and still am! We have been trying to get her a buck for a while now and today everything just came together. If I get this excited over my wife's first buck, I don't know how I'm going to handle this when we have kids without having a heart attack!

chicoredneck
10-15-2012, 8:29 PM
Nice!

Does she get the calguns dink award for this year? I'm so pumped up for her. She has been trying for a long time.

pieeater
10-15-2012, 8:32 PM
Does she get the calguns dink award for this year? I'm so pumped up for her. She has been trying for a long time.

Its bigger than my first deer a spike fork yearling lol.

chicoredneck
10-15-2012, 8:36 PM
I put my wife through all kinds of torture hunting with me when we were young. She fell once hit her head and was knocked unconsience and miscarried the next day. Our first trip together we slept under a tarp and got dumped on all nite. And she fell again down a steep hill and ended up in some berrie bushes and was a bloody mess. And a few more., luckily I didnt scare her off.

My advice would be not to drag her out to some craphole blm. There are good lodge hunts around that are reasonable. You can do a pig or turkey for 800 to 1200 or a management deer for 1750 to 3000. 900 bucks for a 3 day 2 nite pig or turkey where you can stay in a nice house have your meals cooked for you drive around and see a ton of game for 3 days is way cheaper than disneyland or hawaii. Some of these places will let you ride horses or fish their unfished lakes or ponds if you tag out early. Go somewhere where she can relax be comfortable and have fun.

Agreed, I try to make the hunting for my wife as enjoyable as possible. We had one bad day on a steep mountain and we decided she didn't need or want any of it. Where I am perfectly happy grinding my self to dust chasing animals in wilderness hell, she is much smarter than that, so we go lite when she wants to hunt too.

chicoredneck
10-17-2012, 4:54 PM
Killed my first and last deer for the season today. 2x2 with small 3s on each side. So I guess a small 3x.

chicoredneck
10-18-2012, 5:13 AM
As he fell:
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g389/chicoredneck/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2727.jpg
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g389/chicoredneck/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5991.jpg
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g389/chicoredneck/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9231.jpg

180ls1
10-18-2012, 10:27 AM
The buck cried after it was hit, which I have never seen happen before. Of course this got the wife's tears running, but afterwards she was ecstatic.

hahaha, thats terrible.

devil83dog@hotmail.com
10-18-2012, 3:14 PM
The p380 isnt for hunting. It is just to get her more interested in hobbies with guns.