PDA

View Full Version : Guns never DROS'ed

sully007
08-03-2012, 2:34 PM
Question: I see these ads for firearms NIB never fired, never DROS'ed. How does that work in ca, how can you own a gun never DROS'ed, if you live in the state?

bruceflinch
08-03-2012, 2:38 PM
Not every state has our Libtard gun laws.

Vin496
08-03-2012, 2:42 PM
Question: I see these ads for firearms NIB never fired, never DROS'ed. How does that work in ca, how can you own a gun never DROS'ed, if you live in the state?

When they say DROSed they really mean registered. I believe the DROS system has always been part of(or for a very long time) the buying experience in California.

Registration of handguns didn't start till 1991. So all the handguns purchased before 1991 are unregistered unless the owner felt the need to voluntarily register them.

sully007
08-03-2012, 2:44 PM
Some of these ads are for firearms with birth dates of 2012, 2011, etc.

Librarian
08-03-2012, 2:50 PM
See http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Firearms_registration

It's just barely possible that someone moved into CA with a NIB gun, and they are trying to sell it instead of do the New Resident registration and fee before the 60 days are up; that's allowed by law.

But, if they're selling into CA, the gun must go through a CA FFL, so it will run through DROS then.

sully007
08-03-2012, 3:06 PM
Look at this ad many newer firearms not DROS'ed

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=456595

I see this alot

Root66
08-03-2012, 3:44 PM
Coulda been a dealer's old stock that was never sold?

redcliff
08-03-2012, 4:26 PM
Look at this ad many newer firearms not DROS'ed

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=456595

I see this alot

I occasionally see ads like that, often when someone orders 2 or more handguns and has one or more on hold while his 30 day wait between DROS's runs.

If the person you linked to is not an FFL, which I don't believe he is by his wording, he's dancing close to being considerred engaged in the business.

bender152
08-03-2012, 4:36 PM
He is an FFL.

redcliff
08-03-2012, 4:50 PM
He is an FFL.

Than shouldn't he be posting in "Commercial Sales" instead of "Private Firearms Sales"?

Ron-Solo
08-03-2012, 6:12 PM
When they say DROSed they really mean registered. I believe the DROS system has always been part of(or for a very long time) the buying experience in California.

Registration of handguns didn't start till 1991. So all the handguns purchased before 1991 are unregistered unless the owner felt the need to voluntarily register them.

The DROS requirement has been in effect since the 1920's. The DROS procedure was integrated with AFS (Automated Firearms System) in the late 1970's. I have handguns purchased in the late 70's and early 80's that have a DROS record in AFS.

The 1991 date you refer to is when the transfer between private individuals was required to be conducted thru an FFL, thus generating a DROS record.

A DROS record is NOT the same as registration. There is no law requiring the registration of handguns with the exception of those that fall under the California definition of an assault weapon.

keenkeen
08-03-2012, 6:38 PM
He is an FFL.

Than shouldn't he be posting in "Commercial Sales" instead of "Private Firearms Sales"?

I think so...

alfred1222
08-03-2012, 7:02 PM
The DROS requirement has been in effect since the 1920's. The DROS procedure was integrated with AFS (Automated Firearms System) in the late 1970's. I have handguns purchased in the late 70's and early 80's that have a DROS record in AFS.

The 1991 date you refer to is when the transfer between private individuals was required to be conducted thru an FFL, thus generating a DROS record.

A DROS record is NOT the same as registration. There is no law requiring the registration of handguns with the exception of those that fall under the California definition of an assault weapon.

Umm all handguns bought after 1991 are registered...

Librarian
08-03-2012, 7:31 PM

If they were bought correctly through a CA FFL, yes.

But people moving here were not required to do the new-resident things until 1998.

scrat
08-03-2012, 7:32 PM
ahhh the good old days when you bought guns in the late 80's and 1990

bender152
08-03-2012, 9:08 PM
He is an FFL.

:shrug:

All I know is that he's an FFL. I've never done a transfer through him, but here's an old thread pretty much stating that he is indeed an FFL.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=307691

Ron-Solo
08-03-2012, 11:51 PM
ahhh the good old days when you bought guns in the late 80's and 1990

You mean back when the waiting period was 15 days..........? ;)

DROS is "Dealers Report Of Sale" and is only one of many types of record in AFS. While some feel it is the same as "registration" is technically is not. Other types of AFS records include: stolen, lost, destroyed, voluntary registration, operation of law, and evidence. I'm sure there are more but I just can't remember any more off the top of my head.

wjc
08-05-2012, 9:16 PM
If they were bought correctly through a CA FFL, yes.

But people moving here were not required to do the new-resident things until 1998.

<raises hand>

I came here in the mid 80's. Never had to register anything.

Librarian
08-05-2012, 9:26 PM

DROS is "Dealers Report Of Sale" and is only one of many types of record in AFS. While some feel it is the same as "registration" is technically is not. Other types of AFS records include: stolen, lost, destroyed, voluntary registration, operation of law, and evidence. I'm sure there are more but I just can't remember any more off the top of my head.

Yeah, CA has made that claim for years.

But, if a particular gun, by make, model, caliber, is associated with a particular individual, typically by name, address, and driver's license, what attribute does it still need to be 'registered'?

Even Brady sees through that attempt at a 'fig leaf'.

Ron-Solo
08-05-2012, 9:32 PM
Yeah, CA has made that claim for years.

But, if a particular gun, by make, model, caliber, is associated with a particular individual, typically by name, address, and driver's license, what attribute does it still need to be 'registered'?

Even Brady sees through that attempt at a 'fig leaf'.

I'll call it an official "registration" when they make it a requirement to possess that there is a DROS record for every firearm. The other attribute I think would be necessary, is that when you sell or transfer it, it is no longer associated with you in AFS.

DROS is close, but not there..........yet. ;)

And I I'm ever elected President, I'm appointing Librarian as the head of BATF with the express instructions that BATF be converted into a convenience store. His pay will be based on how many NFA firearms are approved. :D

Oceanbob
08-05-2012, 9:49 PM
And I I'm ever elected President, I'm appointing Librarian as the head of BATF with the express instructions that BATF be converted into a convenience store. His pay will be based on how many NFA firearms are approved. :D

This^^^ I'am in for that 1000% :D

DannyInSoCal
08-05-2012, 9:58 PM

I can't legally purchase a non-C&R firearm without CA having my personal information and the serial number of the firearm = Registration.

Just because a doctor calls it a "rectal exam" - Doesn't change the fact she has her finger up your azz....

huntercf
08-05-2012, 10:26 PM
I'll call it an official "registration" when they make it a requirement to possess that there is a DROS record for every firearm. The other attribute I think would be necessary, is that when you sell or transfer it, it is no longer associated with you in AFS.

DROS is close, but not there..........yet. ;)

Holy crap Ron, I was going to vote for Mitt, but now I have to write your name on the ballot! :43: