PDA

View Full Version : What about AB 1527??

Calzona
08-03-2012, 2:21 PM
AB 1527 would outlaw the “open carry” of unloaded long guns – such as rifles or shotguns – on Main Street, California

Portantino introduced the legislation at the urging of law enforcement as a follow up to last year’s successful AB 144, which banned openly carrying an unloaded handgun in public places.

“Last year, we tried to craft a narrow bill to close a loophole in the hopes that gun enthusiasts would support ending this dangerous practice,” explained Portantino. “Unfortunately, the “open carry” folks reacted by carrying rifles and other long guns, alarming the public and creating a potentially dangerous situation. As law enforcement officials tell us, it not only creates a tense situation, but wastes time and money when police have to roll out and respond to these unnecessary calls.”

AB 1527 builds on the law authored by Portantino last year and contains a similar list of exemptions to enable safe transportation, lawful hunting, and use by law enforcement officials. The measure would authorize similar penalties – a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in county jail and a fine of up to $1000 – for individuals who openly carry unloaded long guns in public.

AB 1527 has the support of California Police Chiefs Association, Peace Officers Research Association of California (PORAC), California Chapters of the Brady Campaign and Legal Community Against Violence.

newglockster
08-03-2012, 2:36 PM
Ugh! :(

morfeeis
08-03-2012, 2:45 PM
Next people will OC their uppers while their lowers are in a locked box.

glockman19
08-03-2012, 2:50 PM
AB 1527 would outlaw the “open carry” of unloaded long guns – such as rifles or shotguns – on Main Street, California

Portantino introduced the legislation at the urging of law enforcement as a follow up to last year’s successful AB 144, which banned openly carrying an unloaded handgun in public places.

“Last year, we tried to craft a narrow bill to close a loophole in the hopes that gun enthusiasts would support ending this dangerous practice,” explained Portantino. “Unfortunately, the “open carry” folks reacted by carrying rifles and other long guns, alarming the public and creating a potentially dangerous situation. As law enforcement officials tell us, it not only creates a tense situation, but wastes time and money when police have to roll out and respond to these unnecessary calls.”

AB 1527 builds on the law authored by Portantino last year and contains a similar list of exemptions to enable safe transportation, lawful hunting, and use by law enforcement officials. The measure would authorize similar penalties – a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in county jail and a fine of up to $1000 – for individuals who openly carry unloaded long guns in public.

AB 1527 has the support of California Police Chiefs Association, Peace Officers Research Association of California (PORAC), California Chapters of the Brady Campaign and Legal Community Against Violence.

So...No open carry of ANY firearm...limited licensed carry of a concealed firearm?...How does this comport with Heller? It doesn't.

It was upheld that the right to keep and bear, "bear" being defined as carry, was covered under the 2A.

How can it be constitutional to license a right?...It can't.

I predict when challenged, Unlicensed Concealed Carry, or Shall Issue CWP's on the State level will defensable.

Wiz-of-Awd
08-03-2012, 2:57 PM
So...No open carry of ANY firearm...limited licensed carry of a concealed firearm?...How does this comport with Heller? It doesn't.

It was upheld that the right to keep and bear, "bear" being defined as carry, was covered under the 2A.

How can it be constitutional to license a right?...It can't.

I predict when challenged, Unlicensed Concealed Carry, or Shall Issue CWP's on the State level will defensable.

Just as the stat does with magazines, SBR's and everything else...

Personally, I think if something is legally allowed to me Federally (the ultimate authority and governing force?), then all states should have to allow it as well.

One set of rules, decided nationally, and that's that.

A.W.D.

the86d
08-03-2012, 2:57 PM
Yes, what ever happened to this?

This passed? When does it go into effect?

johnny_22
08-03-2012, 3:12 PM
This lists AB 1527:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=7905555#post7905555

Looks stuck in Senate Appropriations. Send you State Senator a note and remind him/her of your wishes of not being searched for carrying a long case.

glockman19
08-03-2012, 3:14 PM
Just as the stat does with magazines, SBR's and everything else...

Personally, I think if something is legally allowed to me Federally (the ultimate authority and governing force?), then all states should have to allow it as well.

One set of rules, decided nationally, and that's that.

A.W.D.

I agree with you whole heartedly.

Librarian
08-03-2012, 3:19 PM
This lists AB 1527:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=7905555#post7905555That's the discussion thread for the bill.

If you don't see a thread about a bill, check http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=486942. Bills that are not doing much don't get updates to their threads, and then the threads drop off the first page.