PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal or not as a reactive target?

compulsivegunbuyer
08-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Titanium Tetrachloride. Magicians used to use it as a smoke screen, and it's still used as a smoke agent to detect leaks and airflow for things like asbestos abatement. Oxidizes almost instantly with moisture in the atmosphere when atomized by a bullet impact. If you tape a small plastic container of it to a bottle of water it works even better. No flame, no exlosion, just thick puff of white smoke. Was a friends idea, and it gave a clear indication of a hit at long ranges. We were doing this outside of California, of course. I'm sure it must be illegal here, since everything else is. But just wanted some other peoples input.

killmime1234
08-03-2012, 3:53 PM
I don't personally know of any code that would make that illegal. In fact, I'd assume that it's along the same lines as tannerite, which is legal here.

the_natterjack
08-03-2012, 7:33 PM
Bad news, look at the MSDS

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9925270

compulsivegunbuyer
08-03-2012, 9:39 PM
Like I said, long range target. The stuff was in sealed containers until it was shot. My friend has a ranch and has a chemistry backround. This was his idea for a reactive non exploding target. It did make quite the cool puff of smoke. From the MSDS I think I will abandon any further experimentation.

welchy
08-03-2012, 9:50 PM
Tannerite is widely viewed as illegal by the calgun legal minds.

GrizFyrFyter
08-03-2012, 9:53 PM
Tannerite is widely viewed as illegal by the calgun legal minds.

On what basis?

Sent from my Nexus 7

welchy
08-03-2012, 9:58 PM
The fact that we live in California and apparently somebody was prosecuted for it. I am just passing on others opinions. Do a search if you don't believe me.

GrizFyrFyter
08-04-2012, 6:26 AM
The fact that we live in California and apparently somebody was prosecuted for it. I am just passing on others opinions. Do a search if you don't believe me.

I don't doubt you. All the research I have done (none of it in cal guns) says its legal "when used as a reactive target". I'm sure someone got into trouble with it. There are a ton of situations that one could get into trouble even if it is perfectly legal. I will look around and see what I can find.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Capybara
08-04-2012, 7:39 AM
That's what is crazy, Tannerite is sold all over the state at gun shops and at gun shows, leading one to believe that its use is legal. But it's not. If it is illegal to use, it should not be sold in California, it turns into a legal trap for the unsuspecting shooter. No different than if dealers all sold machine guns but it was illegal to own or shoot one here. I don't get it.

Carbuncle
08-04-2012, 9:51 AM
This might be a tad dated, but I believe this applies:
12312. Every person who possesses any substance, material, or any
combination of substances or materials, with the intent to make any
destructive device or any explosive without first obtaining a valid
permit to make such destructive device or explosive, is guilty of a
felony, and is punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for
two, three, or four years.
So basically it is legal to sell and purchase the components, but the moment the though "gee, it sure would be awesome to mix this stuff together and shoot it" enters your head, you will be committing a felony unless you have the proper permits.

GrizFyrFyter
08-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I saw that. I believe there is an exemption for shooting targets under a certain size since it is not a destructive intent.

I still have to find it though.

Carbuncle
08-04-2012, 10:16 AM
I saw that. I believe there is an exemption for shooting targets under a certain size since it is not a destructive intent.

I still have to find it though.

Only thing I could find to that extent is a ATF quote, and as we know, State laws preempt anything the AFT says is legal.
Going through the Dangerous Weapons Control Law, there is no exemption listed regardless of the size of the explosive.

GrizFyrFyter
08-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Copy.

Basically, tannerite is legal until it is mixed. Otherwise, anyone with pool shock and brake fluid in their garage is also a felon, that's way more unstable than tannerite and is not only very toxic but is a fire starter (one of the many
Things they teach you in arson investigation courses).

Carbuncle
08-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Yep, pretty much, and here is the ATF quote, "Persons manufacturing explosives for their own personal, non-business use only (e.g., personal target practice) are not required to have a Federal explosives license or permit." and the whole newsletter dealing with binary explosives.
http://www.atf.gov/publications/newsletters/fel/fel-newsletter-2011-12.pdf

welchy
08-04-2012, 8:48 PM
I am not saying I have or haven't used it in California or that I will or won't again. What I am saying is that you better damn sure know how the LEO where you are going to use it view it's legality and to use it wisely.