PDA

View Full Version : Inherit pistol/shotgun from Dad in NM to Son in CA

purplepimp
08-03-2012, 6:54 AM
I have been going through the threads trying to figure out which rules apply to my situation and I am not too sure so any extra help would be great.

My Dad just gave me a S&W 38 and a vulcan arms shotgun that were both my great grandfathers and well over 50years old. He lives in NM and I am in CA. It seems like the shotgun I don't need to do anything with, just bring it to CA. The pistol it sounds like I might need to go to a dealer in CA but it is over 50 years old and I thought the rules change if it is that old. Also I read something about since it is father to son then even the pistol might not need paperwork but again I was confused by how it was written.

Any help would be great.
Thank you in advance!

gatesbox
08-03-2012, 7:00 AM
Recieve the pistol, fil out a form, bingo.....

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members

senorpeligro
08-03-2012, 7:17 AM
These are both interstate transfers and would need to go through a CA FFL (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members#In terstate_Intrafamily_transfers_need_FFL_located_in _CA).

Decoligny
08-03-2012, 7:22 AM
You didn't "inherit" the firearms unless your father died and left them to you.

You were gifted the firearms.

Interstate transfers need to go through an FFL. Intrafamilial transfers are exempt from the handgun roster.

purplepimp
08-03-2012, 10:18 AM
You didn't "inherit" the firearms unless your father died and left them to you.

You were gifted the firearms.

Interstate transfers need to go through an FFL. Intrafamilial transfers are exempt from the handgun roster.

Sorry for the misuse of the term. Will it change anything between gift and inherit? Unfortunate it looks like he will pass in the next couple week from cancer.

Thank you guys for the help

ke6guj
08-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Sorry for the misuse of the term. Will it change anything between gift and inherit?yes, as a gift between residents of different states, the transfer must be facilitated through an FFL. there is no intrafamily exemption for this.

But as an inheritance, there is no need for an FFL to be involved.

Unfortunate it looks like he will pass in the next couple week from cancer.

Thank you guys for the help
I'm sorry for your pending loss. But if you take possesion of the firearm now, it has to go through an FFL.

But, after he passes, if the firearm was bequethed to you, then the executor of the estate can legally just give you the firearm for you to take home with you.