PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Bing - Not Allowing Firearm Advertising

divercal
08-03-2012, 5:53 AM
Moderator - Search didnt bring this up. Delete if its on the Forums...

http://advertising.microsoft.com/small-business/support-center/search-advertising/disallowed-content-guidelines#DC23

......"Weapons, knives, firearms, and ammunition
Advertising is not allowed that promotes firearms or weapons of any kind. Such content includes:
Knives as weapons
Knives that are positioned as weapons or whose primary use is violence, including switchblade knives, disguised knives, buckle knives, lipstick case knives, air gauge knives, knuckle knives, and writing pen knives.
Firearms, ammunition, and integral parts
Guns capable of firing a projectile by using an explosive charge; for example, rifles, shotguns, handguns, semi-automatic or automatic guns, potentially functional replicas or antiques, and blank guns.
Ammunition; for example, bullets and cartridges.
Integral parts, including magazines, stocks, trigger assemblies, hammers, pulls, firing pins, barrels, silencers, and converters.
Militia ordnance and grenades
Ordnance (military weaponry, ammunition, and related parts), even if the item is unserviceable or has been "demilitarized.
Grenades, including metal military practice grenades, rifle grenades, dummy grenades, grenade launcher attachments, and mines.
Other weapons
Brass, plastic, or metal knuckles.
Leaded canes, staffs, crutches, or sticks.
Zip guns, sand clubs, saps, or blackjacks."

Been looking for an excuse to move over to MacBook Pro....untill Safari does the same thing......

Guess I will be patronizing my Local Firearm Dealer more.....

ptoguy2002
08-03-2012, 6:23 AM
What is a "pulls" and a "converters" ??
Well at least "clips" aren't on the list, but I do see that "crutches" are banned. Guess when I break my leg I won't be using Bing to help me recover.
But it really sucks that I can't use them to search for good deals on land mines.:rolleyes:

NoJoke
08-03-2012, 6:24 AM
Is bing part of chrome?

I'm not a computer guy.

I"ve had a bad experience with Google.
Don't want to support bing.

Who should I use?

REH
08-03-2012, 6:33 AM
Using Bing as a search engine, any of the items will take you to a vendor.

a1c
08-03-2012, 6:37 AM
Been looking for an excuse to move over to MacBook Pro....untill Safari does the same thing......

Guess I will be patronizing my Local Firearm Dealer more.....

Safari is just the browser. Apple doesn't have an equivalent advertising business, but if it did its policies would probably be similar.

Fireworks and tobacco advertising is also disallowed by Bing. I suspect this is more about covering their asses from a potential and likely frivolous civil lawsuit than about a 2A stance.

mpolter
08-03-2012, 6:39 AM
Looks like those restrictions are just for ads so you can't advertise those wares in their generated ads.

You can use bing to search for those items though. It still works.

--MikeP

IVC
08-03-2012, 9:11 AM
Fireworks and tobacco advertising is also disallowed by Bing. I suspect this is more about covering their asses from a potential and likely frivolous civil lawsuit than about a 2A stance.

+1. It's more likely the liability issue than anything.

It will be interesting to see what happens when 2A becomes more mainstream and people get used to the concept of "gun rights = civil rights." At that time, it's liability vs. civil liberties, so it comes down to whether they want to be categorized as bigots.

Marthor
08-03-2012, 9:56 AM
Do a search on Bing shopping compared to Google shopping...

Here's a search comparison on "45 acp"

Here's Bing's Shopping Search on "45 acp"
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=45+acp&go=&qs=n&form=QBRE&aq=45+acp&aid=&ct=&qs=n&pq=45+acp&sp=&rt=Completions&tk=&spv=&sl=C&sc=&st=&ast=AAAAAAAA

Here's Google Shopping Search on "45 acp"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=45+acp&oq=45+acp&gs_l=serp.12..0l10.20826.22651.0.23697.6.5.0.1.1.0 .172.515.0j3.3.0...0.0...1c.DNXEGIzOQnY

No hits for google because they block it. Google is useless censoring guns and ammo shopping. Switch to Bing!

shoebox56
08-03-2012, 9:57 AM
Is bing part of chrome?

I'm not a computer guy.

I"ve had a bad experience with Google.
Don't want to support bing.

Who should I use?

The Google Shopping feature stopped price comparisons for firearm related items. You can still do specific firearm searches though.

Bings version of "Shopping" still allows price comparisons for firearm related items.

The War Wagon
08-03-2012, 10:31 AM
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu170/angrymann/gifs/piss2.gifGoogle...