PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Oregon

locosway
08-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Looks like for the most part you can have a loaded gun in your car so long as it's not accessible. Currently I keep my gun unloaded with two loaded magazines in the same locked container.

However, I see the Portland has a ban on loaded guns in the vehicle, and it seems that even having a magazine that's loaded would be a violation. Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: Looks like a little more digging on my part confirms you can't even have a loaded magazine in Portland while in public.

14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place.
(Amended by Ordinance No. 184274, effective December 31, 2010.)

A. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm.

B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm’s clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.

fd15k
08-03-2012, 7:14 AM
You can open carry loaded in most of the Oregon, but just like with a loaded firearm in the vehicle, open carry (loaded) is banned in Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Independence, Astoria and a few more places. Each town has to be researched... or get your Oregon CHL :)

locosway
08-03-2012, 7:16 AM
You can open carry loaded in most of the Oregon, but just like with a loaded firearm in the vehicle, open carry (loaded) is banned in Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Independence, Astoria and a few more places. Each town has to be researched... or get your Oregon CHL :)

Yeah, I won't be OC there. I'll app for my permit while I'm there, but I guess I'll have to empty my mags when going through Portland... Seems really silly.

fd15k
08-03-2012, 7:19 AM
Yeah, I won't be OC there. I'll app for my permit while I'm there, but I guess I'll have to empty my mags when going through Portland... Seems really silly.

Does FOPA require unloaded mags ? Observe the speed limits and don't consent to searches :)

Also there seems to be a preemption problem there :

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?81062-Oregon-go-to-jail-for-a-loaded-clip-magazine-!