PDA

View Full Version : Handgun storage question

balki
08-02-2012, 7:42 PM
Hi,

I posted this on AR15.com's CA HTF, a member suggested posting it over here for a better chance of a answer.

A friend of mine that I used to be stationed with, asked me a question about storing a handgun in CA.

His dad lives in CA, and basically his question is: can he (my friend) legally store a handgun at his dads house for a period of time without actually having to register the gun?

I read through the CA gunlaw thread. (on AR15.com) But didnt find anything dealing with storing a gun, I guess it kind of could fall under the 60 day window for people moving in to the state, but I figured someone here could give me a more definitive answer.

Thanks in advance.

Librarian
08-02-2012, 8:16 PM
Generally, CA wants things registered here if a person moves here, within 60 days of moving the gun here.

CA allows 30 day loans without paperwork.

If, for example, your friend is going overseas and wants to leave his gun(s) with his dad, and your friend is NOT a CA resident, then the transfer to CA-dad requires an FFL and all the interstate transfer stuff.

If he IS a CA resident, then he can just give long guns to his dad, no paper (presuming they are not what CA calls 'assault weapons'), and he can give handguns but dad has to file an OPLAW form (http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/oplaw.pdf?) and send in $19 to cover the whole set.

If there are any 10+ capacity magazines, those must be broken down to parts kits.

jrwhitt
08-02-2012, 8:59 PM
How about storing the handgun in a locked container that the father doesn't have access to ? I thought I read that would be one way to avoid the Loan aspect of the transfer laws. The original owner only has access to the contents of the container ?

Comments Librarian please

dls
08-02-2012, 9:15 PM
I may have a small storage unit(5x5') in another State soon, I'm not loaning or transferring anything.

Librarian
08-02-2012, 9:59 PM
How about storing the handgun in a locked container that the father doesn't have access to ? I thought I read that would be one way to avoid the Loan aspect of the transfer laws. The original owner only has access to the contents of the container ?

Comments Librarian please

Interstate transfer would still be an issue, I think.

The idea of 'no access' might be something useful if things got into a courtroom. I don't find it a good initial plan.

There just are not any good options in the formal requirements the laws appear to impose.

As a matter of complete speculation, with no support but my imagination, the situation proposed is unlikely to be a Big Problem.

balki
08-03-2012, 5:30 AM
Generally, CA wants things registered here if a person moves here, within 60 days of moving the gun here.

CA allows 30 day loans without paperwork.

If, for example, your friend is going overseas and wants to leave his gun(s) with his dad, and your friend is NOT a CA resident, then the transfer to CA-dad requires an FFL and all the interstate transfer stuff.

If he IS a CA resident, then he can just give long guns to his dad, no paper (presuming they are not what CA calls 'assault weapons'), and he can give handguns but dad has to file an OPLAW form (http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/oplaw.pdf?) and send in $19 to cover the whole set.

If there are any 10+ capacity magazines, those must be broken down to parts kits.

Thank you for the info.

My buddy is originally from CA, but after he left the service he ended up getting a job and moving to AZ. So he would be a AZ resident by now, and since the gun was purchased in AZ, it has never been in the CA system.
I know he travels sometimes in his new job, and I'm gonna assume he doesnt want the hassle of bringing it on planes and such, but dont want to leave it at his house.
(I should have mentioned this in OP, but I didnt really think about his residency, and that it would make a difference)

It looks like there isnt any legal way he can go through with this and avoiding the CA gun register at the same time.

Librarian
08-03-2012, 3:11 PM
Store it in AZ with an FFL?

Pawn it, and redeem it when he wants it back?

I think in either case he would need a 4473 to get it back, and wouldn't be free.