PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Reno

OneHotDog
08-02-2012, 4:44 PM
I'm driving to Reno from LA up Hwy395. Wife and two young children. I've done this drive before but not with my family. We're stopping off in a Mammoth Mtn hotel, then continuing the next day to Reno. Should I bring a pistol in case we have to stop in an unpopulated area? You know, just in case? I know some guys that do travel the roads bring protection. Not sure about it. What would you do?

I do not have an LTC. I have an SA XD, Kimber Custom II, and CZ75 (40).

huntercf
08-02-2012, 5:59 PM
I drive to WA at least once a year, this year I stopped in Mammoth for a couple days to spend time with my brother on a cattle ranch by the airport. I always bring a pistol (and more), I don't have a LTC so I keep it locked until I get where I am staying and loading it is one of the first things I do (in the hotel room).

Kappy
08-02-2012, 10:57 PM
I cannot help you. I didn't think I needed to carry a gun until I got my CCW... then I started carrying... and now I won't go anywhere without one. I just went from my hotel room to the hotel restaurant... and I went strapped. So if I were going to Reno, I'd take my gun out at the border and stick it in the glove compartment.

I should say this... my CCW isn't good in Oregon. When I go to Oregon, I stop at the last rest stop before the border, unload, disarm, and put it in a case. I then take it into my hotel room and reload.

I would recommend taking a gun with me. If you don't need it... no problem. If you need it and don't have it... well... maybe you won't have much time left on Earth to regret it?

Burtonwurton
08-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Whenever I travel i always bring atleast a pistol just incase. Plus everyone has told me that they feel better with a gun in the car incase something happens. In california it is transported legally in a locked container in the trunk. When im going to reno and we pass state lines into Nevada it goes into the compartment next to my seat.

dave3223
08-03-2012, 5:46 AM
Unfortunately, no one can make a decision for you. However, something to think about... if it is legal to take a weapon with you (given the fact that you transport it legally of course), then why not? Whenever I personally travel to NV, I always have a weapon with me. It's transported legally in the case until I'm over the state line and then it is immediately carried legally in the glove compartment or on my person (I have a NV CCW permit).

Personally, I would rather have and not need then need and not have. That increases ten fold when my family is with me.

OneHotDog
08-03-2012, 8:40 AM
Okay, so what does legally transported mean in Cali? We're driving an SUV, so no trunk. I have an aluminium gun case. Can I lock the gun and a loaded magazine in the case? Or does the gun and ammo have to be separate? I only have one lockable case, so the gun or ammo gets locked not both.

TIA

1hd

safewaysecurity
08-03-2012, 8:52 AM
I brought mine on my recent trip to Nevada Arizona and Utah. I don't have a ccw because I'm not 21 yetso I carried openly the entire time. I'm actually still in Utah right now and will carry today.

Nor Cal Scot
08-03-2012, 8:57 AM
395 is a beautiful drive. Some parts are rather remote. Take a gun if you can...ya never know.

Yes, locked case with magazine out of gun.

OneHotDog
08-03-2012, 9:12 AM
395 is a beautiful drive. Some parts are rather remote. Take a gun if you can...ya never know.

Yes, locked case with magazine out of gun.

so gun and loaded magazine, out of gun, both locked in case is ok?

m5shooter
08-03-2012, 9:21 AM
i believe in calif the ammo or loaded magazine needs to be separate from the locked pistol. cannot have both ammo and pistol in the sam container.

Sam
08-03-2012, 9:31 AM
i believe in calif the ammo or loaded magazine needs to be separate from the locked pistol. cannot have both ammo and pistol in the sam container.

Incorrect.

Here is the cal guns wiki article on transporting guns.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

OneHotDog
08-03-2012, 9:47 AM
Incorrect.

Here is the cal guns wiki article on transporting guns.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

About 8 years ago, I went to my local range. I had my guns and loaded magazines, out of the gun, locked in my case. When I opened the case for the clerk to see the guns, he asked me if I was an LEO. I said no, why? He said, because transporting guns and ammo like I had was illegal. Hell, I didn't know! So I just kept my ammo separate from the guns while transporting. Now I find out its LEGAL. So much misinformation!!!! That range went out of business eventually.