PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question - Can I sell my friends gun?

DisturbedAle
08-02-2012, 2:47 PM
My friend had asked me to sell his gun for him. AFAIK, I can do the PPT for him, without even the owner being there, is that right?

Has anyone gotten lash back from the PPT from doing this? I wouldn't be surprised if many gun stores were oblivious to this fact.

cannon
08-02-2012, 2:50 PM
I have sold guns through the PPT/FFL process that were not registered to me or registered at all. Never had a problem.

DisturbedAle
08-03-2012, 5:52 AM
Thanks, anyone else have experience?

Librarian
08-03-2012, 2:08 PM
Probably you should have your friend execute something like this form: http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/poafirearmsdecl.pdf?, CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE BUREAU OF FIREARMS
Power of Attorney for Firearms Relinquishment, Sale or Disposal - Declaration

That's intended to help out folks who have abruptly become ineligible persons, and cannot themselves possess guns, even to sell them. It looks like it would work in your case.

You don't need to show it to anyone, I think. It'd probably confuse a lot of LGS owners, as in 'What am I supposed to do with this thing?'. It just makes clear the seller has the permission of the owner.

But there are no safeguards in gun sales; that is, for long guns, no registration information is ever collected, so verifying ownership is not even possible, and for handguns not all have been run through DROS, so getting a 'not found' has to be OK. Apparently, only the list of guns reported stolen is checked.