PDA

View Full Version : can't wait to go dove hunting

doublebuck
08-02-2012, 12:34 PM
i just got a 12ga citori this year, can't wait to shot some doves on opening day. I'll be going to black butte lake in Orland.
what you guys shooting and where?

21SF
08-02-2012, 4:10 PM
I cant wait either !!! Whooo!!! lol

Ill be hunting with a borrowed shotgun since i dont haver my own yet...

portegee
08-02-2012, 4:26 PM
My first choice field will be getting ripped for almonds coming in, so it looks like I'll be hunting my second or third choice field. I'm going to have to go sit out there in the am for a few weekends to decide which direction I want to go.

AdiosKali
08-02-2012, 6:01 PM
Headed out to AZ with a Browning Maxus Hunter.

Manolito
08-02-2012, 6:37 PM
I have hunted Black Butte many times and it is very productive also check out Fish and Game they are offering some extended dove hunts this year in specific areas by drawing.

Good Luck I have a Browning I use for trap.

duckman1
08-02-2012, 8:22 PM
I'll be in Orland as well, we'll be near Stony Gorge Resivour.

Rampage.Maupin
08-02-2012, 8:49 PM
My Dad and I were planning on shooting up on a family member's farm in Colusa County, but it looks like that is going to fall through. I am interested to know where are public areas to hunt dove in the San Joaquin valley up through Colusa? Any direction is really appreciated.

Hunter87
08-02-2012, 11:35 PM
I took off opening weekend, I grew up on a bird ranch near Redding and still have access to a corner of it so I might go there. But I got an invite to some private ranches down here near Turlock so if those hold up I'll probably stick around.

Don't know what I'll shoot, a 12ga lol. I have a Browning Twelvette double auto if I wanna be classy, a savage 411 SXS that I just got fixed, and my old Winchester 1200 pump if I want that third shell (and who doesn't with dove).

toby
08-03-2012, 5:53 AM
For those of you headed down to Brawley,El Centro,Niland and Blythe. The MNP holds lots of Doves if you know where the water sources are and it wont be 115 degrees maybe 100 but thats a big difference.

HokeySon
08-03-2012, 1:25 PM
For those of you headed down to Brawley,El Centro,Niland and Blythe. The MNP holds lots of Doves if you know where the water sources are and it wont be 115 degrees maybe 100 but thats a big difference.

"MNP" = Mojave National Preserve?? If so, that is a long way from the citie's you listed -- or it that what you are saying -- go north instead of the southern desert?

related question: are folks really hunting doves in the heat of the day? They mostly move in the morning and evening don't they?

duggan
08-03-2012, 2:06 PM
My son is going to be taking the Hunters Ed course mid Aug. and we'll be hitting some spots around Kern Co. You can get lucky mid day if you're in a good spot with little pressure and enough resources but morning and evening are where it's at.

1meanchevy
08-04-2012, 10:56 AM
First year in 15 that I will miss Dove Opener in Redding :(
Will be in Kauai though so I guess its a good substitute, be careful its on Saturday this year, typically Saturday openers are CRAZY!!!!!!

Hunter87
08-06-2012, 8:35 AM
1mean- take a sling shoot with you. There were doves everywhere when I was on Kauai.

1meanchevy
08-06-2012, 1:59 PM
Wait a minute your right.... I got an offer to go hunting last time I was there..... good call bro. Pig hunting too.

1meanchevy
08-06-2012, 2:37 PM
Damn, looks like Id have better luck applying for a permit to dredge up a coral reef than getting a HI hunting license. Required hunters ed class certificate, three weeks wait till you get approval, 95 dollar license fee...yikes they do hate Haoles enjoying their backyard. Slingshot in the suitcase.:43:

Wait a minute your right.... I got an offer to go hunting last time I was there..... good call bro. Pig hunting too.

DMorris2321
08-06-2012, 10:52 PM
This is going to be my first and I have been waiting since I missed last year because of work. I made my wife cut our vacation to the Domican by a day so that I can go on openning day.

PoorRichRichard
08-07-2012, 12:34 AM
I'm excited as hell, but kinda scared seeing as how it's a holiday weekend opener... All the outta town tards are gonna invade my local spot! Last year's midweek day opener was rad- only one other hunter in my local spot, and he's a local guy who lives less than a mile from me. I'm expecting at least 15-20 other hunters this year... It's kinda funny how we as hunters can get all crazy protective over a local spot:rolleyes:

knightstalker83
08-07-2012, 11:35 AM
it's gonna be a wild dove opener. I'm be heading to my friends ranch. Good Luck everyone and be safe!