PDA

View Full Version : A-Zone Deer, Public- Anyone had any luck out of Lower Los Padres NF campgrounds?

jjj/jjj
08-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm up here right now near Santa Barbara ranger district in the Los Padres National Forest trying to do some archery deer north of the no-hunting zone, camping out of the Recreation camp grounds and hiking out of camp. Only seeing the occasional doe and fawns, one baby non-legal buck. Is this area over-hunted/over-poached, or is it just too early in the season/too hot for the legal bucks to show up during the day?

jjj/jjj
08-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Does anyone here even bother hunting on public land? :p Does anyone with private land access need someone to help them take care of the deer menace? I'll do it for free :O

Blitz
08-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Went there last year. I only found the same. A few years back there were several poachers caught.

chicoredneck
08-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm up here right now near Santa Barbara ranger district in the Los Padres National Forest trying to do some archery deer north of the no-hunting zone, camping out of the Recreation camp grounds and hiking out of camp. Only seeing the occasional doe and fawns, one baby non-legal buck. Is this area over-hunted/over-poached, or is it just too early in the season/too hot for the legal bucks to show up during the day?

If you are seeing does/fawns and immature bucks, you are huntng the wrong area. This time of year the mature bucks hang out seperately and usually in completely different areas than the does.

joefreas
08-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Yes, I have in the past. I scouted this year and have seen more shootable bucks than ever before.

180ls1
08-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Yeah i was right near there walking into my blind/bush setup at 3:30 where i found some water. Guess what the buck came into drink at 3:25 to get water and i scared him off the water. Missed him by 5 mins!!!

I havent been back that was the only time i saw a buck there. I may go back after him but the further you hike in the better and try to hike in towards private land.

jjj/jjj
08-02-2012, 1:20 PM
I'm thinking of just driving up to Fort Hunter Liggett for the rest of this trip. Maybe I'll give it another look around. I've been asking locals and rangers and recreation employees and they all say they haven't seen any bucks for months. But I get a sneaking suspicion they're all animal rights types :p

jjj/jjj
08-02-2012, 1:23 PM
I was starting from the Upper Oso campground and hiking northwest into the hills. Ya any bucks are probably separate and farther into the hills.

joefreas
08-02-2012, 2:14 PM
I was starting from the Upper Oso campground and hiking northwest into the hills. Ya any bucks are probably separate and farther into the hills.

Use a quadrunner and get into the hills fri night. Then wait for opening day and glass the canyons. You might have some luck.:)

Rusty_Buckhorn
08-02-2012, 2:20 PM
at this time of year(when still fuzzy horned), when you find bucks, they'll be grouped together in little bachelor groups away from thick brush. Also, does with fawns chase the bucks away at this time. Once the bucks are hard horned, they're much better at hiding out.

CL&RR
08-02-2012, 2:20 PM
might have something to do with that big bright full moon and the 100 degree days that are pushing them to go nocturnal.

edgerly779
08-02-2012, 3:21 PM
Every landowner in so cal south of king city knows that legal bucks with good success rates are hard to come by. Therefore they have no qualms charging 500-2500 bucks for access to decent areas. Walk farther and work harder on public lands or pay the fees. After 40 years of this I can tell you there are no shortcuts. Go to Texas and hunt.

taperxz
08-02-2012, 3:28 PM
Ive never seen an area that had more big bucks than the area you are talking about. You should buy two tags cause you will fill them in one morning.

chayden
08-02-2012, 7:53 PM
I used to hunt that area a lot during the mid 90's when I lived in San Diego. Our group never failed to bag a few bucks. My buddy even got a bear there.
Seemed the only way to get one was when we had a few guys driving them out of the back valleys full of that god awful chapparal. Then you had the fun task of carrying a 100-125lb carcass full of ticks and fleas 3 miles back to the camp in 100degree heat.
Are the hot springs still going strong? That used to be the best after hiking through the hills all day; a hot soak and a ice cold beer. Man I miss those days.

devil83dog@hotmail.com
08-03-2012, 5:53 PM
Any info on bucks or bears near the pendola campground? That's where I'll be next weekend....