PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 limp wrist observation

jlbflyboy172
08-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Went to the range yesterday with a buddy and his 12 year old son. The boy had never fired a handgun before. I instructed him on grip, trigger control, stance, safety, etc. Once he began firing, my trusty Glock 19 was experiencing failure to feed on every shot. I had heard of the limp wrist problem but had never experienced it or seen it. I was surprised at how prevalent it was. When I observed it, I knew immediately what was going on as I have had over a thousand rounds through my trusty friend with amazing reliability. I worked with the boy to firm up his grip and the problem immediately stopped. I was just amazed at the every time thing but I guess when you think about the physics of it, it makes total sense. Just sharing.

stormvet
08-02-2012, 1:06 PM
My 10 year old son has that problem with my 17 and also with my 19 when I had it. Never a problem for my 14 year old and never a problem the 23 just the 9mm.

Gryff
08-02-2012, 3:59 PM
A few suggestions for helping a person overcome this issue:

1) Have the shooter roll their shoulders forward so that they have a more-aggressive, forward-leaning stance (kind of like holding a ladder stable for a friend)

2) Grip the gun with a solid handshake-strength grip (the kind of handshake where you are sending the impression that you are a man, but not trying to crush the other guy's hand)

3) Start with an isosceles stance with your arms mostly straight. Avoid having any significant bend in the arms (although locking the elbows is not recommended, either, but that is for other issues)