PDA

View Full Version : What to Buy Next?

maidendeth13
08-01-2012, 7:37 PM
So I was imagining there'd be a bunch of these threads, but searching didn't turn up too much. (Hopefully this isn't the wrong forum?)

Anyways, I'm kinda in a debate over what to get next. I'm basically trying to talk myself into and out of each purchase at the same time...

Considering:
Custom Predator Hunting/"Precision" AR-15
Smith and Wesson Model 66 w/ 6" Barrel
Reloading Equipment

Currently I have a really nice 30-06 hunting rifle, M&P 15-22, and a nice 870 Wingmaster.

My reasoning for a new purchase (or lack thereof...)

I really like predator hunting, and my girlfriend has 1100 acres of coyote loaded private property. Last time I was up there I ran outta ammo after dropping 2 coyote's and missing a third twice :mad:, so I was kind of thinking something semi auto with a 10 round mag might be nice. Then while I'm at it, since I am a fan of "buy once cry once", I figured I might as well make it a sick "Long Range Precision" setup. I'm in no rush so I'll wait the 12 weeks for a custom White Oak Armament upper, and build myself a nice lower while I'm at it for fun. Drop a nice scope on top and have myself a sweet coyote gun that's also more than capable of punching holes in paper at the range. I'm also huge on building things myself, I figured it'd be fun to assemble a lower receiver piece by piece.
Estimated cost ~$1500

I don't really have a reason for wanting the 66 other than that they are rad, and not getting any cheaper (and I don't have any handguns). I figure it's something that won't be any easier to get in the future, and that they won't make more of. It would be carried in the field and also used as a HD gun after I move out of my current house with roommates.
Estimated cost ~$600

I really want to start reloading, but as above am kind of limited by my current housing situation. Come January though I should be in a better situation and be able to do whatever I want. I'd really like to start reloading as a fun hobby more than anything else, but also to try to develop some loads for hunting and target shooting etc as well as have cheaper ammo.
Estimated cost ~$500.

It's also possible I'm moving out of state next year, but for simplicity's sake we'll leave the off roster stuff outta this:chris:.

sixoclockhold
08-01-2012, 7:54 PM

I still miss mine, it got stolen decades ago 66-2 stainless 6". Loved that thing, could shoot .38 plinkin or blast away in .357. Gun was VERY accurate, a coke can at 100 yards was mine. Well maybe a couple shots. The only thing I didn't like about it was hip shooting, maybe because the frame is smaller on that model. I would get a nasty blast from the cylinder in the face. I had put a good 1500 rounds through it and still worked great. I heard if you shoot too many .357 rounds through that lighter frame it can wear out? I'm always searching for a 98% gun with box and all the trimmings. It's on my I have a dream list.

I just recently went for the Marlin 336 xlr 30-30, pick up tomorrow :) $385 couldn't pass it up.

BTW you can reload a .30-.30 with 110 grain bullets and send those coyotes packin. And thats a cheap reload about .23 cents per.

Fjold
08-01-2012, 8:38 PM
I really like predator hunting, and my girlfriend has 1100 acres of coyote loaded private property.

An engagement ring.

huntercf
08-01-2012, 9:04 PM
An engagement ring.

Or an engagement gun. :43:

maidendeth13
08-01-2012, 9:17 PM
An engagement ring.

Did I mention likes guns and fishing, and that she cooks too. I'm a lucky guy :D.

Although reading my post again I should clarify the property is her family's and not hers personally.

maidendeth13
08-01-2012, 9:25 PM

I still miss mine, it got stolen decades ago 66-2 stainless 6". Loved that thing, could shoot .38 plinkin or blast away in .357. Gun was VERY accurate, a coke can at 100 yards was mine. Well maybe a couple shots. The only thing I didn't like about it was hip shooting, maybe because the frame is smaller on that model. I would get a nasty blast from the cylinder in the face. I had put a good 1500 rounds through it and still worked great. I heard if you shoot too many .357 rounds through that lighter frame it can wear out? I'm always searching for a 98% gun with box and all the trimmings. It's on my I have a dream list.

I just recently went for the Marlin 336 xlr 30-30, pick up tomorrow :) $385 couldn't pass it up.

BTW you can reload a .30-.30 with 110 grain bullets and send those coyotes packin. And thats a cheap reload about .23 cents per.

My grandma has an old Winchester 94 in .30-30. It's definitely a fun gun to shoot. Would have been perfect for a few of the coyotes I took last time I was out actually.

She knows to give me a call whenever she ever wants to sell it, but I'm not gonna rush her or ever try to persuade her to part with it. I'm hoping she keeps it for years to come.

XVIga_Rob
08-01-2012, 9:58 PM
Since you're not in a rush. Why not buy the 66 and start that AR project. when done, I'm sure you'll be happy.

maidendeth13
08-06-2012, 8:33 PM
If I find a 66 within the price I set for it I will do that. Have a nice one available for $700 but I've also missed 2 in similar condition for $500 so I'm waiting until I see another one for a lower price.

I am looking to at least buy a stripped lower whenever I see a nice deal on one though as they are probably one of the cheaper components of the build and there are much better deals in the Bay area than Central Coast usually.

Keep the advice coming.

I just shot a 1911 for the first time this weekend... the list keeps growing haha.

Synergy
08-07-2012, 4:31 AM
I have the Stag Model 6 (http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=211) for my varmint gun. I am running it on a Spikes and have a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 and its sub moa with M855 62g. For an off the shelf AR its accuracy is spectacular!

scottunit1
08-07-2012, 6:26 AM
she cooks too.

very lucky!

maidendeth13
08-07-2012, 7:33 PM
I have the Stag Model 6 (http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=211) for my varmint gun. I am running it on a Spikes and have a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 and its sub moa with M855 62g. For an off the shelf AR its accuracy is spectacular!

I've looked at those and for ~$100 or so more I can essentially build a custom AR. I'd also like a shorter barrel than 24" although I still need to figure out if a 20" barrel won't be on the shorter side for reaching out to ~4-500 yards.

mexicancolt1
08-07-2012, 7:54 PM
Forget about the Smith, buy a Colt Python. Can never go wrong with a Cobalt Royal Deep Blued 6" inch Python. ARs are a dime a dozen. Check out the Sales portion of this site. There's a reason you don't see many Colts and lots of custom ARs. Afterall, most collectors are also investors.

phdo
08-07-2012, 8:37 PM
Smith.

maidendeth13
08-08-2012, 7:01 PM
Forget about the Smith, buy a Colt Python. Can never go wrong with a Cobalt Royal Deep Blued 6" inch Python. ARs are a dime a dozen. Check out the Sales portion of this site. There's a reason you don't see many Colts and lots of custom ARs. Afterall, most collectors are also investors.

Can't go wrong with one. But I'm a fan of wood and stainless and also not spending ~2k on a handgun. If one ever pops up in the ~5-600 range I (and everyone else on this site) will be trying to buy it.