PDA

View Full Version : What do you all use as shooting Glasses..?

BradleyAbrams
08-01-2012, 3:36 PM
Mine are about done.

I was wondering if there was some general consensus here at Cal-Guns on what would be a "good" pair of Shooting Glasses...

FWIW, I prefer Amber or Yellow lenses and a Light frame.

Titanium frame maybe..?

I look forward to your suggestions..

TIA

-

Curley Red
08-01-2012, 3:48 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/glasses.jpg

:cool2:

barbasol
08-01-2012, 3:50 PM
I use my normal daily wear glasses

XVIga_Rob
08-01-2012, 4:02 PM
My brother from another mother..... I like the avatar!!

I just use my Oakley's (polarized black irridium). I really don't care for indoor ranges....If I must, a pair of clear saftey glasses.

Gryff
08-01-2012, 4:30 PM
I'm a huge fan of Rudy Project Rydons. Expensive, but great quality and optics.

For lens color, I use dark brown for bright days, a red tint for overcast (really brings out the viisibility of the targets), and for clear indoor/night. Actually haven't used amber to any great degree.

m98
08-01-2012, 4:36 PM
Safety glasses are for wussies. I just close my eyes.

JDPhx501
08-01-2012, 4:53 PM
ESS suppressors with the lens with the red tint, helps me see the targets better, heh.

Camsnappersc
08-01-2012, 4:59 PM
I have a pair of Oakley Radars with clear vented range lenses.
Best I've used to date

HskrVern
08-01-2012, 5:02 PM
Being a bit dorkish I have a few of these from my Navy days. And yeah I get made fun of a lot.....

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/kidsnfids/images.jpg

TacticalPlinker
08-01-2012, 5:38 PM
I just use my cheap $10 sun glasses when outside, or my old regular glasses when indoors.

Mr. Gillious
08-01-2012, 5:52 PM
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/lisafx/lisafx1007/lisafx100700088/7433676-portrait-of-silly-clown-in-oversized-sunglasses.jpg

digitalelf
08-01-2012, 6:10 PM
I use ESS ICE...

My choice of lens color depends upon how bright it is outside (I rarely go to indoor ranges and if I do, I use a clear lens)...

mexicancolt1
08-01-2012, 6:29 PM
I was told by my brother-in-law (a cop) that you should not use glasses. That it interupts your line of vision. He's an expert marksman. I do however wear a cap outside in the sun

WootSauce
08-01-2012, 6:34 PM
http://www.revisionmilitary.com/product/sawfly/

Best pair I ever had, so good in fact im buying another soon. They have every color lens under the sun, even photochromic ("transitions"), and the lenses interchange. They also sell an anti-fog wipe and actually works. While shooting USPSA my glasses never fog which is a huge deal to me. Recommended to me by my friend who used them in the Army. Yes, they are expensive, but IMHO they are more than worth the money if youre looking for a really good pair.

tradecraft
08-01-2012, 6:37 PM
I was told by my brother-in-law (a cop) that you should not use glasses. That it interupts your line of vision. He's an expert marksman. I do however wear a cap outside in the sun

Since I'm rather attached to my eyes, I use ESS Crossbows with a bronze lense.

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-ess-crossbow-suppressor-black-frames-hi-def-copper-lens-0388.jpg

Ubermcoupe
08-01-2012, 6:38 PM
OP, I use these when I am shooting in the shade or its cloudy outside
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_711489_045_01?hei=220&wid=380

But I tend to stay away from yellow/amber shades when in direct sun and instead use a a pair with light tint:
http://www.airgunstyle.com/images/items/Smith-Wesson-Magnum-Smokey_TCSW152PCSi_safety-glasses_1.jpg.axd?height=200&width=300
Impact and scratch resistant and wide enough to cover the whole eye area.
They’re also relatively inexpensive compared to other glasses i’ve used before.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ELFl2_1q7DI/TObn1HnV2fI/AAAAAAAAAaQ/5JkvAtpbv7k/s1600/Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I’m also guessing he recommends not wearing ear protection, you know, to get used to the noise guns make incase you actually got in gun fight... :rolleyes:

If you value your eyes you should always use protection when operating machinery, especially things that could blind you should an accident happen.
Unless i’ve completely mis understood your post, I disagree.

WootSauce
08-01-2012, 6:52 PM

Take this advice for what it's worth to you, but while shooting USPSA I have been hit IN THE FACE with shrapnel from ricochet off steel targets (little added info before everyone starts arguing about this; Yes the steel was USPSA legal distance away it was just angled funny so me and one other RO got hit with shrapnel) and debris from rounds hitting near the top of the berm from the adjacent shooting areas. There's a very good reason that eye protection is mandatory at almost all (I can't think of any ranges where it isn't) ranges.

That being said, when shooting precision rifle at very very long ranges (like 800 plus yards) your glasses can interfere with your sight picture very very slightly because you are looking through an additional lens. This is also not as much of a problem with higher end glasses that offer better optics. There are ways to work with this that I wont get into here.

Are you shooting 1000 yards with a precision rifle? Guessing no. So should you always wear glasses? YES EDIT: Should you wear glasses when shooting 1000 yards with presision rifle? Also yes.

sniper5
08-01-2012, 7:41 PM
Regular prescription glasses for shotgun and pistol and these for rifle:http://www.10pt9.com/Gear/Shooting-Glasses/Jaggi-Nova-Shooting-glasses-frames-p147.html

BigFatGuy
08-01-2012, 8:31 PM

How is "left-eye" doing these days, anyway?

Kappy
08-01-2012, 8:44 PM

Anything else your BIL tells you is now immediately suspect.

Only people who like being able to see wear glasses while shooting.

Now... If I were out in the world and a bad guy came after me, I wouldn't stop to put eye protection on to eliminate the threat, but I've come to respect them at the range.

OP, I use a pair I got from Lowes. 3M cost me $10. They're solid and are clear. I also use my regular Fossil sunglasses.

Gryff
08-01-2012, 8:49 PM

Sorry, I like my eyesight too much to listen to your brother-in-law. BTW, does he work in a gun store during his off-time?

voiceofreason
08-01-2012, 8:58 PM
I like Oakleys with clear lenses in almost all conditions.

I was at an indoor range when the a**clowns 2 lanes to my left shot the metal target hanger with (what I'd guess to be) a 7.62x39 round that sent shrapnel ricocheting into my arm from close range.

Eyes are extremely delicate and expensive/difficult to repair at best.

Eye protection and ear protection mandatory if possible.

I believe in ballistic protection for vital organs as well personally.

RandyD
08-01-2012, 9:22 PM
Take this advice for what it's worth to you, but while shooting USPSA I have been hit IN THE FACE with shrapnel from ricochet off steel targets (little added info before everyone starts arguing about this; Yes the steel was USPSA legal distance away it was just angled funny so me and one other RO got hit with shrapnel) and debris from rounds hitting near the top of the berm from the adjacent shooting areas. There's a very good reason that eye protection is mandatory at almost all (I can't think of any ranges where it isn't) ranges.

That being said, when shooting precision rifle at very very long ranges (like 800 plus yards) your glasses can interfere with your sight picture very very slightly because you are looking through an additional lens. This is also not as much of a problem with higher end glasses that offer better optics. There are ways to work with this that I wont get into here.

Are you shooting 1000 yards with a precision rifle? Guessing no. So should you always wear glasses? YES EDIT: Should you wear glasses when shooting 1000 yards with presision rifle? Also yes.

Good explanation! I shoot precision rifles and high power matches and always wear eye protection. I once saw a shooter fire a rifle and get a face full of hot gas causing him to drop his rifle. It happens, so error on the side of safety.

I use Oakley sunglasses for outside and have another set of Oakley's with clear lenses for use inside or use in overcast weather.

Javi
08-01-2012, 11:55 PM
I wear Revision sawfly's that I bought from an airman on eBay. Really wanted them because they have a rx lens insert that goes in them. These are on sale on Gearhog right now:
Numa-"Flash" for $35 before shipping.
http://www.chompon.com/uploads/deals/15638.jpg?v=1
http://www.gearhog.com/?rf=303691

They look slick and they should have some different lenses for sale.

phdo
08-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Oakleys

duckman1
08-02-2012, 7:18 AM
I have a pair of the Smith with the switch lenses for low light. I usually wear my WileyX glasses for daytime.

Twiggz
08-02-2012, 2:16 PM
Oakley half jackets with the shooter orange lenses. I've been hit in the arm, hand and shin with lead splash back. I always have my saftey glasses on when I'm shooting.

DisturbedAle
08-02-2012, 3:45 PM
I wear my Oakleys and believe in them.

Do not listen to this, wear Oakley or ESS Products as they offer HDO - High Definition Optics which does not distort vision. Look at golfers who play for Millions of Dollars, all wearing Oakleys.

This man is right.

BradleyAbrams
08-02-2012, 4:31 PM
Thank you all...I am very protective of my eyes, because I suffered Optic Nerve damage in early childhhod.. My Right eye is physicaly OK, but the image which gets transmitted to my brain via the Optic Nerve is all FUBAR'd.. Solid, straight lines look like slowly moving "Esses" to me; sort of like the Mirage you see on far away pavement in a Hot Day..

This is the reason why I have Always worn the best eye protection available when the situation may present a clear danger to the loss of my vision.

I simply cannot afford to lose my " Good" eye; and none of my three Shar-Peis makes for a Good Seeing-Eye Dog..

My everyday sunglasses are Ray Ban Aviators RB 3026, but I like to have "Application-Specific" eyewear for certain situations, such as Snow Skiing and Shooting. I'm not a "Fashionista" by any means, but I Do regard Protective Eyewear as a Tool.

And as such, I believe that certain activities require the correct tool -

For example, the Ray Ban Aviators are a fine piece of eye protection, but if you wear them snow-skiing, and wipe out on the way down Cornice at Mammoth, your Aviators are going to get mangled beyond repair (not to mention the risk of a glass shard in your cornea )...

Same applies to Shooting Glasses for me..

I have had the same pair of these for over 20 years now. They lasted this long because immediately after I'm done shooting for the Day, they go back in their case.

However, as I wrote in my OP, the passing years have affected the lens to the point that they are now due for retirement..Hence my request for opinions / recommendations on the subject..

And -Yah, I'm a bit OCD about certain items I choose for personal safety, and shooting Glasses is but one example.

My Second Stage SCUBA Regulator is another. Ditto for my Motorcycle Helmet.

And I do not Sky Dive; but I can Guaran-effin-tee You that if I did take it up as a Sport, then My Personal Parachute would join the list.

Anyhow, thanks to all for your words.

I will look into the Oakleys and ESS offerings.

Cheers !

-

Gryff
08-02-2012, 5:17 PM
This is the reason why I have Always worn the best eye protection available when the situation may present a clear danger to the loss of my vision.

I simply cannot afford to lose my " Good" eye; and none of my three Shar-Peis makes for a Good Seeing-Eye Dog..

My everyday sunglasses are Ray Ban Aviators RB 3026, but I like to have "Application-Specific" eyewear for certain situations, such as Snow Skiing and Shooting. I'm not a "Fashionista" by any means, but I Do regard Protective Eyewear as a Tool.

And as such, I believe that certain activities require the correct tool

Whatever you choose, I recommend that they have straight arms rather than the traditional kind that curve down behind the ear. The reason is that straight arms allow you to take them off/put on much easier while wearing ear protection. Not a huge issue, just a convenience thing.

leocrrnz
08-02-2012, 5:35 PM
I'm currently using revisions but I'm about to purchase the ess crossbow suppressors to see if they really fit better under my ear protection.

TKM
08-02-2012, 5:51 PM

Does Mr. Marksman also make bacon naked?

tradecraft
08-02-2012, 6:44 PM
I'm currently using revisions but I'm about to purchase the ess crossbow suppressors to see if they really fit better under my ear protection.

I tried the Suppressors and they worked great under earmuffs but once I started moving with just plugs, they would slide right off.

NSR500
08-02-2012, 7:11 PM
Oakley Gascans with Black Polarized.

morfeeis
08-02-2012, 7:23 PM
Mine are about done.

I was wondering if there was some general consensus here at Cal-Guns on what would be a "good" pair of Shooting Glasses...

FWIW, I prefer Amber or Yellow lenses and a Light frame.

Titanium frame maybe..?

I look forward to your suggestions..

TIA

-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KK8ZRU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

Been using these for a while. thy'er great, so great in fact my brother walked away with
mine last time we went shooting.

cal3gunner
08-02-2012, 7:44 PM
Always wear eye protection. I shoot a lot of steel targets and have been hit with many bullet frags over the years.

I had custom built glasses made. They are my daily glasses that I wear everyday. Titanium arms and Trivex lenses. I have one nick in them from a frag hitting them. The Trivex is supposed to be the best for prescription lenses and be ballistic proof.

My last pair of glasses had polycarbanate or however you spell it lenses. They got nicked and scratched easier but were "bullet resistant"

When I wear contacts, I use 5.11 wrap around ballistic sunglasses.

DRM6000
08-02-2012, 8:06 PM
I use a pair of Rudy Project Rydons. They have mild correction and photochromic lenses.

leocrrnz
08-02-2012, 8:28 PM
I tried the Suppressors and they worked great under earmuffs but once I started moving with just plugs, they would slide right off.

good thing the package I'm looking at comes with a standard frame too

Javi
08-02-2012, 8:53 PM

good thing the package I'm looking at comes with a standard frame too
Yeah, $100 for the crossfire & suppressor frame + smoke & clear lenses.
I've never seen these, thanks! Really interested. I haven't shot with my Revisions in a while so I'll have to see if it does break the seal of my earmuffs. I believe they did but am not 100% My Revisions fog up pretty bad at the indoor range I usually go to. Their ventilation isn't all that great but wish Revision sawfly lenses were fog proof. Although I've gotten used to changing lenses on the Sawfly, the ESS supressor/Crossfire looks super easy to change out. Anyone know if their CDI sunglasses work well with ear protection?

twohi2play
08-03-2012, 1:34 AM
I purchased ESS Crossbow glasses on ebay for a decent price.

mossy
08-03-2012, 2:04 AM
the sun glasses i always have with me.

tbhracing
08-03-2012, 2:23 AM
ESS Ice glasses.

iBkickinit
08-03-2012, 8:18 AM
Used to be cheapo aviators.

Now, I prefer Oakley Radar Paths and Revision Sawflys. The sawflys can be had for cheaper if you shop around.

BakaLogic
08-03-2012, 8:22 AM
ESS Ice glasses.

I just ordered a pair of these from Amazon (through the calguns link if it worked correctly) after seeing the crossbows posted in this thread.

Should get them on Monday. First shooting related gear I've bought! (Not counting an ebook version of Masaad Ayoob's Combat Shooting.)

disturbed1
08-03-2012, 8:42 AM
Just use the ones they give you at the movie theater so that the targets and sights pop out at you making it easier to shoot bulleyes at 50 yards and have .0000025" 20 shot groups.

jmlivingston
08-03-2012, 8:55 AM
Polycarbonate lenses in my prescription glasses.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

BradleyAbrams
08-09-2012, 3:44 AM
OK, I was looking for a pair of Good, but also Reasonably priced Shooting Glasses, and after some research I found these:

Smith and Wesson Model 10X Safety Glasses-

http://images.solidcactus.com/safetyglassesusa/sw10xyi.jpg

Just got them in. They are Very Nice item for the money -

Full Metal Frame yet lightweight, very comfortable nose-piece, rubber tipped metal earpieces and a Stabilizing Bridge / Brow Bar which assists in framing the glasses square in relation to your face, and also keeps the sweat off your brow from fogging up the lens.

I particularly like the fact that the entire lens is supported peripherally by the rim.

I got mine from here:

http://www.tasco-safety.com/sglasses/smith-and-wesson-glasses.html#sw10xci

Total price deilvered to my house = $15.00

Can't complain there... :cool:

-

dholla
08-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Oakley all day everyday. They have lens for every type of environment. It also doesn't hurt that they give me product. :p

JeremyKX
08-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Oakley M-Frames

http://www.oakley.com/products/2025/24025
https://secure.usstandardissue.com/Product_Detail.cfm?id=96

There are more lens colors but have to order seperate. They are awesome

enzo357
08-09-2012, 12:21 PM
I wear Oakley jawbones. They have the ability to change lenses. Had clear and polarized lenses made. Usually just wear the clear. Have been hit in the lens several times, and swear by my Oakleys.

ljgrasso
08-09-2012, 7:45 PM
Gargoyle classic with clear lenses.

wjc
08-09-2012, 9:00 PM
My eyesight is starting to go so I had my doctor make me some yellow tinted shooting glasses with a modified version of my prescription (more long distance focus).

They're pricey but work for me.

Sir Stunna Lot
08-10-2012, 1:55 AM
i wear oakley's line of X-metal. made of titanium, strong, light, customized fitting, and you can use any lens color u want

there's also an option for polylmer prescription lens

Oakley X-metal Juliet in sig below

ST22
11-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Here's a good reason why to get shooting glasses fitted properly.

I've worn glasses nearly all my life. As I got older and got into shooting, I always took it for granted the eyeprotection because for the most part, I've never had anything come back at me and hit me remotely close to my face.

Playing the odds, it was only a matter of time.

Recent years and more shooting, I've had at the indoor range the expended shell bounce off of the partition and actually fall right in between my glasses and my eyelid (as I shut my eyes when it came close). First time, .22LR, shell burnt the eyelid and blistered and resulted in a nice little eye infection that took a week to get over. Law enforcement buddy suggested a ball cap as he always suggests to his eyeglass wearers. Really is impractical when at the indoor range under low light conditions, but because of that event, I do it.

Second time, .223 from my Ruger mini. Trapped between glasses and eyelid, but managed to keep rifle pointed downrange supported by the rest and with my free hand, grab my glasses before the shell sat long enough to burn. Was hot and uncomfortable, but not enough to cause damage.

I then went to my eyeglass shop, grabbed a pair of the crappiest looking safety shop glasses and said put my prescription in these. These are the shop glasses with the side coverings straight out of the 70's. Could I have just gotten contacts with a cool pair of frames, sure, but I don't do well in contacts. I'm also Asian, meaning I have a low bridge, so a lot of the plastic frames without adjustable nose pads don't work. Yeah, yeah, I know there are Oakley Asian fit glasses available now, but to top that off, I've got a huge noggin and none of the Asian fit glasses fit my head. So I used what was available, and they are ugly as hell, but they work.

Protect your eyes. I've heard ricochet and shrapnel mentioned, but I just added to that and will let you know, it isn't fun.

The other reason why I was looking at this thread in the first place was hoping to find a nice pair of protective frames built for prescription and protection that fit a huge Asian head. Not finding it yet, but found this thread informational.

triggatronic
11-07-2012, 11:58 AM
For now a pair of prescription Ray Ban Aviators but I plan on getting a pair of Oakley's to use strictly for shooting in the near future.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

Wicked K5
11-07-2012, 1:30 PM
Depending on conditions, I'll use clear or grey lenses in my Oakley Half Jackets. Optical clarity, impact resistance, and style make them second to none IMO. Check the High Velocity Impact clips in the link below:43:

Oakley Propaganda (http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/impact-protection)

Iskra
11-07-2012, 1:42 PM
Wiley X

krushem2000
11-07-2012, 3:03 PM
s&w glasses i stole from work and didnt realize had them on cuz they were comfty so got few lying around for shooting

wurger
11-07-2012, 3:27 PM
I have an Rx pair of Wiley-X glasses that I use for shooting and airsoft. They weren't cheap, but they work great. I went with the Transitions lenses so I can shoot outside, inside, and at night (I play a lot of night airsoft games).

unusedusername
11-07-2012, 3:28 PM
I have a pair of prescription ones, with this frame (http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/rb4115/601s-71).

One pair is clear, one is polarized.

locosway
11-07-2012, 9:54 PM
To everyone saying they use cheap glasses or their daily eye wear. Not all safety glasses are the same!

If you aren't using glasses specifically designed to take impact (ANSI rated) then you're doing yourself little good. In fact, you may cause yourself more harm if your glasses shatter into your eye from an impact.

This is a picture I took of some cheap safety glasses I bought. They were shot with birdshot from distance, but as you can see, failed to stop the rounds and they even broke/shattered.

http://i49.tinypic.com/23hpnpw.jpg

uhlan1
11-08-2012, 12:01 AM
I use my dog's Doggles in a pinch. Work pretty good.

Javi
11-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Depending on conditions, I'll use clear or grey lenses in my Oakley Half Jackets. Optical clarity, impact resistance, and style make them second to none IMO. Check the High Velocity Impact clips in the link below:43:

Oakley Propaganda (http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/impact-protection)

I plan on getting some Oakley Flak jackets sometime in the future for running, mountain biking, hiking, etc. Does Oakley sell those impact resistance lenses or does it have to be ordered from an optometrist? I've browsed Oakley's site a few times and have never seen the option.

Cali-Shooter
11-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Hoppe's 9 shooting glasses (smoke black tint).

twohi2play
11-08-2012, 12:40 AM
ESS Crossbow

17+1
11-08-2012, 7:40 AM
Prescription safety glasses.

brix
11-08-2012, 7:41 AM
Prescription Oakley Radars

Daze
11-08-2012, 11:35 AM
I have used SG-1 Wiley's for a while. I prefer the V-Cut model myself, I switch between tinted and clear lens depending on day/night. I also use my Oakley Flak Jackets for daytime shooting.

ausala
11-08-2012, 12:46 PM
I got the ESS Crossbow/Suppressor set and the ESS universal prescription insert (it fits ESS eyeshields and also fits Oakleys). I'm pretty happy with the setup. I bought an extra Suppressor frame so that I can swap the prescription insert back and forth between "day" and "night" rigs--the ESS lenses are reasonably easy to swap but it's much easier to move the prescription insert back and forth.

ESS has three different nosepiece heights, and the tallest of them (the one that fits the prescription inserts) is also an "asian fit" accessory nosepiece since it has additional standoff height.

The Suppressor frame does slide a little bit when worn without muffs, but you can either have an optician tighten the frame or just use the strap that comes with the frame.

Javi
11-08-2012, 1:27 PM
Hmm, I might sell my Revision's for some Wiley-x's or ESS's. Not that my Revision's are horrible or anything, they do their job(never had fragments hit me in the eye area, though) but I just kinda want more regular looking sunglasses type frame. Can't believe I still have yet to buy THE best shooting accessory one could have: prescription lenses or contact lenses! My vision gets blurry starting at 3 ft.

Endofcomment
11-08-2012, 1:28 PM
I wear Oakley holbrooks the Nicky Hayden edition. And yes they are ANSI z87.1 lenses.

Wicked K5
11-08-2012, 2:23 PM
I plan on getting some Oakley Flak jackets sometime in the future for running, mountain biking, hiking, etc. Does Oakley sell those impact resistance lenses or does it have to be ordered from an optometrist? I've browsed Oakley's site a few times and have never seen the option.

The Plutonite is Oakley's proprietary lens material that they use in all their lenses. The Flak Jacket is a nice frame. I'm torn between those and Half Jacket 2.0's when I hand my old Half Jackets over to my wife {my shop is an authorized Oakley dealer :D}

Panchira!
11-08-2012, 9:34 PM
Regular prescription glasses for shotgun and pistol and these for rifle:http://www.10pt9.com/Gear/Shooting-Glasses/Jaggi-Nova-Shooting-glasses-frames-p147.html

EXACTLY what I am looking for for rifle! But dam 180 bucks. Added to Xmas list!

Javi
11-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Wow, that thing looks pretty weird haha. I bet you can get some of the glasses listed here for that price or less including rx lenses. I shoot with two eyes open too so I wouldn't want those. You could just get some dark tape to put on one side of the lens.

adrenaline
11-08-2012, 10:43 PM
I use my Wiley X Valor for outdoor shooting...

http://www.eyearmour.co.uk/ekmps/shops/eyearmour/images/wiley-x-valor-bronze-flash-chval2-204-p.jpg

Indoor? I just use my prescription glasses (Gunnar).

http://www.coolframes.com/get_image.php?fid=33636&color=36&alt=

pv5huTz_JWY

Javi
11-08-2012, 11:38 PM
The Plutonite is Oakley's proprietary lens material that they use in all their lenses. The Flak Jacket is a nice frame. I'm torn between those and Half Jacket 2.0's when I hand my old Half Jackets over to my wife {my shop is an authorized Oakley dealer :D}

Oh, no kidding. I didn't notice that, thank you! Welp...Found a nice deal on the Wiley-X Valor 3 lens kit so I sorta have to buy them right now haha. Oakley Flak Jackets for hiking, running, mountain biking will be in my future still but these Wiley's have me covered at the range now.

Does anyone want to buy some Revision Sawflys with a rx holder?

Cheep
11-09-2012, 5:55 AM
All metal frames and made in the good old US of A!

http://sunglassdistillery.com/

jsragman
11-09-2012, 1:12 PM
Wiley X all the way. Whatever you buy make sure it conforms to the Z87.2 impact resistant standard.

nick
11-09-2012, 1:16 PM
ESS Crossbow.

jonc
11-09-2012, 1:17 PM
OAKS WITH RX

Jazeronthelaser
11-09-2012, 2:26 PM

^^^This. These reasons are why I went with Oakleys (SI M frames 2.0). Awsome clairity and very comfortable. I wear them for work now and forget I'm wearing them. Pretty impressive video demonstration also!!! It sold me.

razr
11-09-2012, 2:41 PM
wiley x transition, bit expensive but excellent.

11-10-2012, 3:38 AM
http://www.blindmancan.com/files/coke_bottle_glasses_2px5wr.jpg

sniper5
11-11-2012, 5:22 AM
Wow, that thing looks pretty weird haha. I bet you can get some of the glasses listed here for that price or less including rx lenses. I shoot with two eyes open too so I wouldn't want those. You could just get some dark tape to put on one side of the lens.

Depends on what type of shooting you do. I wear progressive lenses and shoot iron sighted military rifles. Those things don't work well together. The advantage to orthoptics is that you can move the lens so that you are looking out the exact center (the best spot optically) of the lens when in position. And the adjustments for different rifles and positions are easy to make and repeatable (the inside of the frames are calibrated). There are filters available in every color you can imagine. Lenses are available in different diameters. And the lenses are pretty cheap so upgrading a prescription is easy. Want two lenses? No problem, and both are adjustable. And the frames are titanium so their a lifetime investment. Best money I've ever spent.

vinny_land
11-11-2012, 3:00 PM
Oakley M frames

12:13
11-19-2012, 1:35 PM
Sometimes I'm to lazy to switch out so I just use my sunglasses (Ray Bans Tech w/Polarized lenses). Bought the Revision Sawfly, tried it on but it's too big for my face. I then bought the ESS Ice Naro but those are still kinda big for my face. :cool2: Needless to say, those two may be going up for sale soon.

SB1964
11-19-2012, 1:56 PM
Wiley X makes an affordable Combo pack, Clear Lens/Smoke. Both with Frames. Anyone thinking they shoudln`t use them is Crazy. Then again, some will Kill over a simple Disagreement.

I VALUE MY EYESIGHT!

NorCalXJ
11-19-2012, 2:33 PM
I use my prescription ray ban wayfarer glasses