PDA

View Full Version : Ruger MK III Target or Hunter???

DArBad
08-01-2012, 1:26 PM
Calgunners gang,

Kindly help me make up my mind between these two.

There is a significant (for me) price difference between the two models. I like the more svelte looks and cheaper price of the Target 5 inch model. But the sight leaves a lot to be desired (due to my poor eyesight, wearing thick glasses).

The Hunter (stainless 6 inch) has a nicer, more useful Hi-Viz front sight. But it is heavier and more expensive.

What other thoughts can you provide???

Thanks.

JackRydden224
08-01-2012, 1:34 PM
Calgunners gang,

There is a significant (for me) price difference between the two models. I like the more svelte looks and cheaper price of the Target 5 inch model. But the sight leaves a lot to be desired (due to my poor eyesight, wearing thick glasses).

The Hunter (stainless 6 inch) has a nicer, more useful Hi-Viz front sight. But it is heavier and more expensive.

Thanks.

In your case definitely go with the 5" target model. You can buy Hi-Viz front sights for $29.99 from Midway USA and just replace it with a screw driver. With the extra money you can get a VQ Accu Kit and bushing to make your gun that much better.

TomV
08-01-2012, 1:46 PM
In your case definitely go with the 5" target model. You can buy Hi-Viz front sights for $29.99 from Midway USA and just replace it with a screw driver. With the extra money you can get a VQ Accu Kit and bushing to make your gun that much better.

That is what I did. The Hi-Viz site is a 1000% improvement, for me.

Jack L
08-01-2012, 1:48 PM
Calgunners gang,

Thanks.

Actually, read Rugers specs....the Hunter (41 oz.) weighs less than the Target (42 oz.) because of the fluting I suspect. I own both myself. I have a mini red dot on the Hunter and it is well balanced able to get them squirrels in short order . I use the Hi-Viz sights on the Target and it too shoots like a dream. Donít know if I am lucky or the majority of the Ruger Markís are such clean and useable handgun. Both are really a great firearm for the money. Get one before they are out of stock for months like on the past. If money is tight buy the Target and you will be stoked.

onegtalon
08-01-2012, 2:08 PM
That is what I did. The Hi-Viz site is a 1000% improvement, for me.

Same here! I also painted the rear sight notch white - big help.

DArBad
08-01-2012, 2:24 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the quick feedback!

kouye
08-01-2012, 7:22 PM
In case you can't find the Hunter, Outdoor World in Capitola has at least one of them in stock and they'll knock off 10% if you ask. Hunter's Supply in Salinas also has one in stock.

glockman19
08-01-2012, 7:58 PM
I bought the hunter 6 7/8" barrel.

CGT80
08-03-2012, 8:53 PM
I bought the hunter 6 7/8" barrel.

Me too. It is a work of art. I got a holster from bladetech. It was special order, but they got it out after a few weeks. The price was good too. I have used my Hunter in a local rimfire steel match. It runs great, but a trigger upgrade would be nice.

Fatcat
08-03-2012, 10:25 PM
I like the Hunter. It's a "Space-Gun", lol!
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/fatcat355/DSC04213.jpg