PDA

View Full Version : New Gun Registration Question

adampolo13
08-01-2012, 12:50 PM
My wife bought a S&W 9MM 2 months ago. It's automatically registered at the time of DROS? Correct? If not what the heck is she supposed to do?

I bought an AR15 and a Remington 700 last month. DROS'ed but not registered correct? With the new long gun registration how and where are we suppose to register said weapons?

These CA laws are such crap!

Dreaded Claymore
08-01-2012, 1:15 PM
Basically, correct. The purchaser doesn't have to do anything except fill out the forms. All the work of "registering" is done by the dealer. You guys are fine.

mw20
08-01-2012, 1:17 PM
Correct, when the pistol was DROS'd it was automatically registered.

At the moment the DROS for a long gun is simply the background check. Come 2014 the DROS process will also register long gun transfers.

And I agree. CA laws suck!

Kodemonkey
08-01-2012, 1:21 PM
To be clear, you won't have to register the current long guns you own. They are grandfathered. You can voluntarily register your old rifles if you want, and you will probably pay for that privilege.

After Jan 2014 they will be registered during the DROS process when you buy it.

Fast forward 10 years or 20 years from now and I can see a cop confiscating an unregistered rifle because they don't remember (or were too young) to remember a time when long guns didn't need to be registered. Sort of like how handguns are today - people usually don't realize an unregistered handgun is not illegal.

adampolo13
08-01-2012, 1:27 PM
Thank you guys for the quick replies. Both my wife and I keep copies of our DROS paperwork with our guns when we are traveling to and from the range just in case....

Kodemonkey
08-01-2012, 2:08 PM
Thank you guys for the quick replies. Both my wife and I keep copies of our DROS paperwork with our guns when we are traveling to and from the range just in case....

So you know that isn't necessary. You can if you want. The FFL isn't even required to give you a copy. I have to ask for my own copy for my records when I buy at the "cop only shops" because cops usually don't even want it. (I'm not a cop, I just sometimes buy through a cop only shop and they sell to me because I'm a swell guy).