PDA

View Full Version : Angeles shooting range 5.56/.223 Ammo

wendys
08-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Hey guys, with ammo being scarce and costly anyone know what the prices for some 5.56/.223 cheap range ammo looks like over at Angeles shooting recently? I'm having difficulty finding anything cheap or in stock at walmart, turners and big5. I am ordering online but wanted to go this weekend.

glockman19
08-01-2012, 12:27 PM
If I remember correctly they offer a discount of 10% on Fridays... (except rimfire ammo)

Don't forget to print out your $2 off coupon. :)

Capybara
08-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Nothing against you Wendys but I am mystified at how bad consumers a lot of shooters are. I was at WalMart yesterday and even their prices are out of control. I only buy ammo from SGAmmo.com, Natchez Shooters Supply, etc.

Buy minimum of 1k rounds at a time over the web. Anything else and you are paying upwards of .42 per round for 5.56, seems nuts to me. Monitor www.slickguns.com for the deals and check out Ammo Finder too. Ranges usually are not very good prices, their only advantage being convenience for shooters who don't plan and are not wise consumers.

I guess I could take it one step further and say I am one of the unwise consumers who doesn't reload yet. All of the smart dudes who reload look at us and our $5k to $10k per year of ammo and laugh at us because they are getting 5.56 for .14 per round plus a few hours of labor on a weekend.

I just wasn't wise on my last range shoot with my new CZ75 SP-01, I only brought 120 rounds of reloads from home and quickly shot them all, then I bought another 200 rounds of range ammo and it was $38.00 with tax. Not a terrible deal but reloads are available on-line or from Serge (Ammoman) for a lot less.

Buy in bulk and or reload. Buying a few boxes from WalMart or your range is a waste of money.

wendys
08-01-2012, 2:11 PM
Nothing against you Wendys but I am mystified at how bad consumers a lot of shooters are. I was at WalMart yesterday and even their prices are out of control. I only buy ammo from SGAmmo.com, Natchez Shooters Supply, etc.

Buy minimum of 1k rounds at a time over the web. Anything else and you are paying upwards of .42 per round for 5.56, seems nuts to me. Monitor www.slickguns.com for the deals and check out Ammo Finder too. Ranges usually are not very good prices, their only advantage being convenience for shooters who don't plan and are not wise consumers.

I guess I could take it one step further and say I am one of the unwise consumers who doesn't reload yet. All of the smart dudes who reload look at us and our $5k to $10k per year of ammo and laugh at us because they are getting 5.56 for .14 per round plus a few hours of labor on a weekend.

I just wasn't wise on my last range shoot with my new CZ75 SP-01, I only brought 120 rounds of reloads from home and quickly shot them all, then I bought another 200 rounds of range ammo and it was $38.00 with tax. Not a terrible deal but reloads are available on-line or from Serge (Ammoman) for a lot less.

Buy in bulk and or reload. Buying a few boxes from WalMart or your range is a waste of money.

Trust me I completely agree with what you are saying. But as I mentioned above I am already purchasing online. Especially from places that are offering free shipping (PSA). I purchased about ~300 rounds online for about .30-.35 cents per a round which is pretty decent considering some of it is higher grain 5.56/.223. I just wanted to hit the range this weekend instead of having to wait for a bulk order to arrive which could take a week or two. I was only expecting to shoot about 200-300 rounds to see what my AR likes (I have yet to shoot it). The problem is some of the ammo I bought is not range friendly XM855 and MFS2000.

I am interested in reloading as well but im probably not ready for that at this point in time.

Oh yea and as for slickguns.com i am on there probably 2-3 hours a day throughout the day. As well as gun-deals.com

CSACANNONEER
08-01-2012, 2:14 PM
Ammo is not scarces or expensive YET. But, like anything else, if you need it right away, you're going to pay more for it.

foxtrotuniformlima
08-01-2012, 2:40 PM
Trust me I completely agree with what you are saying. But as I mentioned above I am already purchasing online. Especially from places that are offering free shipping (PSA). I purchased about ~300 rounds online for about .30-.35 cents per a round which is pretty decent considering some of it is higher grain 5.56/.223. I just wanted to hit the range this weekend instead of having to wait for a bulk order to arrive which could take a week or two. I was only expecting to shoot about 200-300 rounds to see what my AR likes (I have yet to shoot it). The problem is some of the ammo I bought is not range friendly XM855 and MFS2000.

I am interested in reloading as well but im probably not ready for that at this point in time.

Oh yea and as for slickguns.com i am on there probably 2-3 hours a day throughout the day. As well as gun-deals.com

Save your brass. :)

m98
08-01-2012, 3:34 PM
I would sell u some of my 556 for the price i paid for em if u were near me bcuz i could spare some.

Mail Clerk
08-01-2012, 3:47 PM
Hey guys, with ammo being scarce and costly anyone know what the prices for some 5.56/.223 cheap range ammo looks like over at Angeles shooting recently? I'm having difficulty finding anything cheap or in stock at walmart, turners and big5. I am ordering online but wanted to go this weekend.

wendys,

I know Angeles's ammo is pretty expensive cuz they will confiscate your steel ammo and force you to buy their ammo from the shack.

Your best bet is to invest in a portable hand cart and buy your ammo from the gun shows like the one I just went to out in Ontario. They had an easy two vendors selling ammo in bulk cases and were priced reasonable. I think the next one is in Costa mesa on the 18th. That show is much bigger and so your shopping needs can most likely be met there.

Mail Clerk

CSACANNONEER
08-01-2012, 4:24 PM
wendys,

I know Angeles's ammo is pretty expensive cuz they will confiscate your steel ammo and force you to buy their ammo from the shack.

Mail Clerk

They won't confiscate (only during your stay) your ammo if you don't bring banned ammo. Know their rules and play by them or don't go there. Also, they will never force you to buy their ammo. You're always free to bring any allowed ammo, reload your rounds on the back bench or leave and go home or to the store to get more.

wendys
08-01-2012, 5:14 PM
Ammo is not scarces or expensive YET. But, like anything else, if you need it right away, you're going to pay more for it.

Of course, understood. I was able to pick up some Federal XM193 from turners at $7.99 per 20 which was not to bad considering it is a good round. Went back today to get more...ALL GONE! I should have bought more at the time...Well lesson learned lol.

wendys
08-01-2012, 5:16 PM
They won't confiscate (only during your stay) your ammo if you don't bring banned ammo. Know their rules and play by them or don't go there. Also, they will never force you to buy their ammo. You're always free to bring any allowed ammo, reload your rounds on the back bench or leave and go home or to the store to get more.

Yea, I do have some steel core ammo or at least ammo that will attract a magnet such as MX855 AP, and MFS 2000. But after reading about the fires from steel ammo I figured it would not be a good idea.

baih777
08-01-2012, 5:24 PM
well if LAX Range is on your way. print the coupon and pick this up on your way to the range.
http://laxrange.com/index.php/596-2/

this is what i shoot at Angeles.

sixoclockhold
08-01-2012, 5:44 PM
"I guess I could take it one step further and say I am one of the unwise consumers who doesn't reload yet. All of the smart dudes who reload look at us and our $5k to $10k per year of ammo and laugh at us because they are getting 5.56 for .14 per round plus a few hours of labor on a weekend."

Wow hook me up with this .14 per round reload. I thought primers were .03 cents in bulk, rifle powder 7000 grains per pound would run .08 cents to push a 5.56 (23 grains) and you still need a bullet. I'm missing something?

wendys
08-01-2012, 6:53 PM
"I guess I could take it one step further and say I am one of the unwise consumers who doesn't reload yet. All of the smart dudes who reload look at us and our $5k to $10k per year of ammo and laugh at us because they are getting 5.56 for .14 per round plus a few hours of labor on a weekend."

Wow hook me up with this .14 per round reload. I thought primers were .03 cents in bulk, rifle powder 7000 grains per pound would run .08 cents to push a 5.56 (23 grains) and you still need a bullet. I'm missing something?

Yea, I have been reading about this too and most people who know what they are doing seem to be reloading 5.56/.223 at the lowest around .17 cents per a round

wendys
08-01-2012, 6:56 PM
well if LAX Range is on your way. print the coupon and pick this up on your way to the range.
http://laxrange.com/index.php/596-2/

this is what i shoot at Angeles.

Unfortunately I am in the SFV so that is opposite direction, but thanks for the heads up!

sixoclockhold
08-01-2012, 7:23 PM
Yea, I have been reading about this too and most people who know what they are doing seem to be reloading 5.56/.223 at the lowest around .17 cents per around

Pretty hard to get a bullet under .10 cents for a rifle unless you're pouring your own. Then you may have quality issues.

iBkickinit
08-02-2012, 9:15 AM
I pick up a few thousand rounds at a time, usually for about $265/1000 rds. Federal or PMC 55gr ball. Just shop around people! I never shoot steel-cased.

wendys
08-02-2012, 9:33 AM
I pick up a few thousand rounds at a time, usually for about $265/1000 rds. Federal or PMC 55gr ball. Just shop around people! I never shoot steel-cased.

What are the usual places you would find something that low. The past couple weeks the cheapest I have seen some PMC 55gr is 299

Capybara
08-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Yea, I have been reading about this too and most people who know what they are doing seem to be reloading 5.56/.223 at the lowest around .17 cents per a round

I am just quoting what reloaders have told me, I have no idea what the cost of components is, but even at .20 a round, that's half of what 5.56 is going for.

fouber
08-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi wendys

PM for you

fouber =^..^=

BenHa
08-02-2012, 11:27 AM
:cool2:
To Fouber: Teach me your ways :D of buying cheap ammo

fouber
08-02-2012, 12:05 PM
BenHa,

I just offered a possible way to get ammo for OP need.
A Calguns member offers a great service, I just shared his name.
Was not sure if I could post "openly". But if you like I can send you his name.

fouber =^..^=
Ps I like the oc gun show for great prices.... But sometimes ya just need more!

BenHa
08-02-2012, 2:30 PM
If you can that would be great :D