PDA

View Full Version : Assemblyman Bill Berryhill - Need Help

BerryhillforSenate
08-01-2012, 11:40 AM
My name is Curtis and I work on Assemblyman Bill Berryhill's campaign for State Senate.

I am posting to ask for help and to get ideas for ways that our campaign can reach out to hunters, shooters, gun owners or anyone who want to see someone with a solid voting record on gun ownership get elected.

Bill was awarded legislator of the year in 2011 from the CA Rifle and Pistol Assn and he owns a duck club on the Delta. Our opponent in this election voted in favor of the open carry long gun ban (AB 1527).

If anyone has any ideas about how we can help Bill get support from this community, I would love to hear your thoughts. We need to elect people who will fight for our 2nd amendment rights.

The district he is running for is all of San Joaquin County, the top half of Modesto and Galt. If there any events coming up or people I should talk to in the area, please let me know.

OleCuss
08-01-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure I have the answer, but I want to welcome you to the forum!

I'm sure, however, that visiting some of the gun shops and going to a few ranges on the weekends would help. Visiting the Madison Society would likely be worthwhile.

PhalSe
08-01-2012, 12:05 PM
I would get in touch with the GalGuns Foundation. I don't think this is directly part of their mission, but I'm sure they can hook you up with some good people.
Host a BBQ at a local range, set up a table and invite people to come back and talk with the assemblyman and his staff about gun rights in CA. I'm sure you know already what most will say but i know that if a politician in my district did something like this to listen to me i would be impressed.
Recognize that what we want is more than just gun ownership. There are a lot of things that are core to the 2nd amendment and different gun owners will prioritize them differently. Understand all of them and be ready to advance our cause.

NotEnufGarage
08-01-2012, 12:20 PM
I would get in touch with the GalGuns Foundation. I don't think this is directly part of their mission, but I'm sure they can hook you up with some good people.
Host a BBQ at a local range, set up a table and invite people to come back and talk with the assemblyman and his staff about gun rights in CA. I'm sure you know already what most will say but i know that if a politician in my district did something like this to listen to me i would be impressed.
Recognize that what we want is more than just gun ownership. There are a lot of things that are core to the 2nd amendment and different gun owners will prioritize them differently. Understand all of them and be ready to advance our cause.

Other issues that we're concerned about ;

Lead ammunition bans
Closing of public lands to shooting and other recreational uses
Excessive bureaucratic hoops to jump through
Challenges to the states preemption law by cities/counties
Training of Law Enforcement on the intricacies of CA gun laws
Abusive prosecution/persecution (via civil courts) of gun ranges
Costs added to firearm ownership by CA laws
Differing application of laws by County LEAs
Ambiguous and contradictory laws

Just a start....

Best of luck. If you were in my district, I'd be wanting to help.

adampolo13
08-01-2012, 12:38 PM
I think one of our biggest challenges right now is SB 249. If Assemblyman Bill Berryhill could get some serious opposition momentum going it would go a very long way with the shooting community, especially with the CGF.

IVC
08-01-2012, 1:08 PM

Gals with guns and hookups... :)

bwiese
08-01-2012, 1:12 PM
Please - CGF as a 501c3 legal & educational charity cannot generally endorse candidates, give money to candidates, etc. CGF as an entity can do some limited lobbying on some bill-related matters - i.e., legal analysis, consequences, technical advice, etc. within certain expenditure limits.

[I wish people would stop mentioning "CGF" everytime something *political* comes up - this has been gone over repeatedly here.]

Various CGF board members DO indeed have separate opinions of their own, and do indeed support Bill Berryhill.

For the record, Gene Hoffman and I met him briefly after a CRPA dinner a couple of years ago, and indeed he was a very legit recipient of Legislator of the Year. Do remember that our trusted CRPA and NRA *lobbyists* Tom Pedersen & Ed Worley have huge input on this issue, so this was not just some feelgood administrivia by the rest of that organization to have a dinner around...)

Bhobbs
08-01-2012, 1:19 PM
Tell him to not get involved in wanting to ban abortion and gay marriage. Stay focused on fixing the spending issue and getting California back in the right direction. Then, if he gets elected, actually do something to help gun owners instead of just using us to get elected the first time and then turning your back on us.

nicki
08-01-2012, 1:20 PM
Consider having modest cost fun shoots with Q and A throughout the district.

If the ranges would give you a discounted rate per shooters, for example 5 dollars and you asked for a 35 dollar donation, that is something many people could do.

Many of us would probably loan use of some of our firearms for the day, the only thing attendees would then have to cover is ammo costs. This is something that would be very useful for people who are considering gun purchases.

This of course would be a meet and greet along with please help me with my campaign.

On the gun issue specifically, if I was running for state office my position would be that since there are numerous federal civil rights gun lawsuits in the courts at this time, California should hold off on enacting any new gun laws until we have settled law.

His gun position could say something like the following:

The US Supreme Court has ruled that the second amendment is a constitutional right and that the core purpose of the second amendment is self defense. The court upheld the right of Americans to keep and bear common arms and they ruled a ban on handguns as unconstitutional.

The Heller ruling upheld the constitutionality of laws restricting gun ownership by felons and laws restricting criminal use of guns will be upheld.

How extensive the second amendment is for law abiding citizens is still unsettled law, as such, it is my position that to vote for any new gun restrictions on law abiding Californians while how extensive our second amendment rights are is still "unsettled law" in the courts is irresponsible.

In fact, if he could get the Republicans and any Democrats who would like to join him together on joint resolution on the above and take a walk over to Gov Brown and see if they could get him to commit to this.

The premise is simple, our state has many pressing issues and we shouldn't be wasting precious time debating new laws when the second amendment is unsettled law and the state is basically operating under a financial crisis.

The state should be doing things to get out of the way of business creation and they should consider state action against cities/counties that needlessly obstruct business development.

In many of the SF Bay area cities for example, it can take 2 years to get licenses and permits to open up a business. On one hand we have the local politicians crying about how poor the economy is, yet they continue to allow and promote an anti business(jobs) government policies.

Not only do you need to reach us, but you need to reach the general public.

This is a way you can tie gun control indirectly to being anti job because if the legislature is wasting time on new gun laws, that means time is being diverted away from fixing real problems.

Nicki

nicki
08-01-2012, 1:33 PM
Consider having modest cost fun shoots with Q and A throughout the district.

If the ranges would give you a discounted rate per shooters, for example 5 dollars and you asked for a 35 dollar donation, that is something many people could do.

Many of us would probably loan use of some of our firearms for the day, the only thing attendees would then have to cover is ammo costs. This is something that would be very useful for people who are considering gun purchases.

This of course would be a meet and greet along with please help me with my campaign.

On the gun issue specifically, if I was running for state office my position would be that since there are numerous federal civil rights gun lawsuits in the courts at this time, California should hold off on enacting any new gun laws until we have settled law.

His gun position could say something like the following:

The US Supreme Court has ruled that the second amendment is a constitutional right and that the core purpose of the second amendment is self defense. The court upheld the right of Americans to keep and bear common arms and they ruled a ban on handguns as unconstitutional.

The Heller ruling upheld the constitutionality of laws restricting gun ownership by felons and laws restricting criminal use of guns will be upheld.

How extensive the second amendment is for law abiding citizens is still unsettled law, as such, it is my position that to vote for any new gun restrictions on law abiding Californians while how extensive our second amendment rights are is still "unsettled law" in the courts is irresponsible.

In fact, if he could get the Republicans and any Democrats who would like to join him together on joint resolution on the above and take a walk over to Gov Brown and see if they could get him to commit to this.

The premise is simple, our state has many pressing issues and we shouldn't be wasting precious time debating new laws when the second amendment is unsettled law and the state is basically operating under a financial crisis.

The state should be doing things to get out of the way of business creation and they should consider state action against cities/counties that needlessly obstruct business development.

In many of the SF Bay area cities for example, it can take 2 years to get licenses and permits to open up a business. On one hand we have the local politicians crying about how poor the economy is, yet they continue to allow and promote an anti business(jobs) government policies.

Not only do you need to reach us, but you need to reach the general public.

This is a way you can tie gun control indirectly to being anti job because if the legislature is wasting time on new gun laws, that means time is being diverted away from fixing real problems.

Nicki