PDA

View Full Version : Stupid noob question

oldcodger
08-01-2012, 7:31 AM
Ive owned guns in california for many years but havent been too involved in the political end of things. I didnt own any guns for many years after a divorce she made claims that were unfounded and the cops took them all. thats all water under the bridge now i have about seven pistols and three rifles and one shotgun that were all purchased legally in california IE all paperwork done purchased from licensed dealers etc. Do the FEDs know what i own? my concern is that if the SHTF which i hope never occurs will they show up at my door with an inventory and want to take them all?
What could i have left to protect my family with. Im concerned because of what occurred during Katrina in new orleans.
Ive spoken to people who have guns buried in their yard etc hidden in the attic etc. my concern is i wont be able to count on anyone but myself to protect my family it things go bad and im sure most can relate to this. if this has been covered previously im sorry i just got online here after a long period away from this site. Thanks. oh im a current NRA memeber also.

Librarian
08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Ive owned guns in california for many years but havent been too involved in the political end of things. I didnt own any guns for many years after a divorce she made claims that were unfounded and the cops took them all. thats all water under the bridge now i have about seven pistols and three rifles and one shotgun that were all purchased legally in california IE all paperwork done purchased from licensed dealers etc. Do the FEDs know what i own? my concern is that if the SHTF which i hope never occurs will they show up at my door with an inventory and want to take them all?
What could i have left to protect my family with. Im concerned because of what occurred during Katrina in new orleans.
Ive spoken to people who have guns buried in their yard etc hidden in the attic etc. my concern is i wont be able to count on anyone but myself to protect my family it things go bad and im sure most can relate to this. if this has been covered previously im sorry i just got online here after a long period away from this site. Thanks. oh im a current NRA memeber also.

No.

The 4473 that you complete stays at the dealer.

The state, however, gets purchase information on handguns through DROS. Beginning in 2014, it will get more info on long guns, too.

littlejake
08-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Unless the dealer has gone, or goes out of business. Then they have to send their records to the ATF.

Wiz-of-Awd
08-01-2012, 11:58 AM
No.

The 4473 that you complete stays at the dealer.

The state, however, gets purchase information on handguns through DROS. Beginning in 2014, it will get more info on long guns, too.

The state does know of "long guns or other firearms" purchased though - just not the details describing it.

They could still, theoretically, still come looking for x-number of "long or other" based on the current system.

A.W.D.

emptybottle151
08-01-2012, 1:06 PM
Sell what you have and start building :43:

hvengel
08-01-2012, 2:48 PM
The state does know of "long guns or other firearms" purchased though - just not the details describing it.

They could still, theoretically, still come looking for x-number of "long or other" based on the current system.

A.W.D.

But I don't think they currently know how many long or other guns were purchased for any given DROS. Perhaps someone who knows about this in more detail can clarify.

Wiz-of-Awd
08-01-2012, 2:55 PM
But I don't think they currently know how many long or other guns were purchased for any given DROS. Perhaps someone who knows about this in more detail can clarify.

Well, for the lower I just bought, the DROS included the question of how many other long guns (or other firearms?) should be listed in addition to the one being purchased - so they could be cash and carry on pickup day along with the first item.

A.W.D.