PDA

View Full Version : Unnecessary Delayed Pistol Release

Gabriel80
08-01-2012, 8:25 AM
I own 4 firearms. One rifle and 3 pistols, never had a single issue registering any of them.

Yesterday I was supposed to pick up a 4th pistol (Ruger LCP) being released from my dealer (via PPT). 10 days is up!

The firearm dealer called me and said there was a delay on the release of the gun . He didn't have any information on 'why' but gave me a phone number to call and a case number for this transaction.

I talk to this lady, she asks me if I was ever arrested in 1999 in Massachusetts. I said I was, but it was a misdemeanor trespass charge that was dropped. I was never convicted. She then says I need to speak to an "analyst."

I go over the same story again, and she asked me if I was every arrested for anything else. I said yes, when I was a 16 year old minor I was charged for possession of marijuana, but that charge was also dropped. I explain I've never been convicted of any crime, and I've never been charged with any felony behavior. Any crime I was arrested for was dropped in court.

She tells me that the state of California is just really checking hard, and that sometimes felons fly under the radar and register guns. The analyst says some crimes that look simple are actually felony etc etc.

Even weirder than getting grilled about juvenile things I did in highschool and college was the straight up fact that I JUST PURCHASED AND CLEARED A PISTOL FROM A PPT LAST WEEK. LITERALLY ONE WEEK EARLIER!

I've never had any problems ever, and now I had to unravel this nonsense and wait for the delay to clear.... Supposedly she will mail a clearance to the dealer so he can release the pistol a.s.a.p..

Wamp wamp. Seems harder every day to get a gun in California. I'm heavily considering buying and AR15 or AK47 before it's impossible.

Has this ever happened to you?

Think it's a good time to get an assault-type weapon or before it's too late?

JaeFern
08-01-2012, 8:28 AM
Just buy one anyways regardless of if it will be banned later.

-Jae from my Photon 4G

Intimid8tor
08-01-2012, 8:29 AM
I can't search right now, but there is a thread about delays and Cgn wants to know about delayed dros for things they are working on.

Gabriel80
08-01-2012, 8:36 AM
Just buy one anyways regardless of if it will be banned later.

-Jae from my Photon 4G

good answer!

RazzB7
08-01-2012, 8:42 AM
Contact CGF. They are tracking these shenanigans by the CA DOJ.

creekside
08-01-2012, 8:45 AM
I own 4 firearms. One rifle and 3 pistols, never had a single issue registering any of them.

Yesterday I was supposed to pick up a 4th pistol (Ruger LCP) being released from my dealer (via PPT). 10 days is up!

The firearm dealer called me and said there was a delay on the release of the gun . He didn't have any information on 'why' but gave me a phone number to call and a case number for this transaction.

I talk to this lady, she asks me if I was ever arrested in 1999 in Massachusetts. I said I was, but it was a misdemeanor trespass charge that was dropped. I was never convicted. She then says I need to speak to an "analyst."

I go over the same story again, and she asked me if I was every arrested for anything else. I said yes, when I was a 16 year old minor I was charged for possession of marijuana, but that charge was also dropped. I explain I've never been convicted of any crime, and I've never been charged with any felony behavior. Any crime I was arrested for was dropped in court.

She tells me that the state of California is just really checking hard, and that sometimes felons fly under the radar and register guns. The analyst says some crimes that look simple are actually felony etc etc.

Even weirder than getting grilled about juvenile things I did in highschool and college was the straight up fact that I JUST PURCHASED AND CLEARED A PISTOL FROM A PPT LAST WEEK. LITERALLY ONE WEEK EARLIER!

I've never had any problems ever, and now I had to unravel this nonsense and wait for the delay to clear.... Supposedly she will mail a clearance to the dealer so he can release the pistol a.s.a.p..

Wamp wamp. Seems harder every day to get a gun in California. I'm heavily considering buying and AR15 or AK47 before it's impossible.

Has this ever happened to you?

Think it's a good time to get an assault-type weapon or before it's too late?

Report it here (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/report-ca-doj.html).

From: http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/component/content/article/1-news/213-report-a-problem-with-california-dept-of-justice-doj.html

As a response to an increasing number of reports of apparently improper conduct on the part of the California Department of Justice towards those seeking to acquire firearms for self-defense - protected activity under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - The Calguns Foundation has established an incident and issue reporting form, accessible at http://calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/report-ca-doj.html.

The information collected will be used to track the type and number of incidents and, where necessary, allow us to contact those whose rights may have been violated or otherwise damaged by the DOJ.

All those with urgent firearms-related incidents, such as arrests or seizures of property, should continue to contact us through the Calguns Foundation Help Hotline at http://calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/help-hotline.html.

Gabriel80
08-01-2012, 9:04 AM
Report it here (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/report-ca-doj.html).

From: http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/component/content/article/1-news/213-report-a-problem-with-california-dept-of-justice-doj.html

THANKS FOR THE LINK, this was fully reported to the CGF website!

RP1911
08-01-2012, 9:08 AM
Buy lowers. You can build them up later.

HowardW56
08-01-2012, 9:13 AM
I can't search right now, but there is a thread about delays and Cgn wants to know about delayed dros for things they are working on.

Thatis CGF, The Calguns Foundation that is tracking DOJ...

CGF DOJ Report Page (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/report-ca-doj.html)

cdtx2001
08-01-2012, 9:22 AM
When did these shenanigans start by the CADOJ?

sfpcservice
08-01-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm gonna pistolwhip the next mf'er that says shenannigans!

DuknBucks
08-01-2012, 10:54 AM

I love that movie!

I would be curious if DOJ published a memo stating that there could be delays. And WTF they already have 10 days to get this squred away...:mad:

Connor P Price
08-01-2012, 11:09 AM
When did these shenanigans start by the CADOJ?

I think sometime around March if I remember correctly. Kamala Harris apparently wants DOJ BOF to get more attention from Brandon.

edwardm
08-01-2012, 11:13 AM

This is very interesting, assuming you've accurately relayed the information here.

It supports the contention that the 10-day wait is nothing more than theatrics (they either know or don't know your status within seconds or minutes of executing the check) and that CalDOJ has been sloppy in the past with the BG checks. I wonder if something (or many somethings) flagged during an Armed Prohibited Persons (California, not Federal) database search.

This also would seem to support use of NICS-no-wait, proceed/delay/deny procedures in this state. The 10 days is letting them keep headcount low (if at all), and that's it.

Gabriel80
08-01-2012, 11:42 AM
It's definitely an accurate account. My initial conversation was with the DOJ in Sacramento yesterday, i'm still going in circles.

The dealer opened at 11am, I called and asked if the delay was released, he said he got no approvals. I call back to Sacramento to see if the department actually send over the release early this morning (as promised yesterday) She tells me "she forget" and would do it right now. While I was on the phone with her, she apparently is sending an email for the release. Then she proceeds to bad mouth the dealer (Aegis Enterprises in Burbank) saying there fax machine doesn't work and nobody answers the phone and they're the worst she's had to deal with. Which is odd because I never have a problem getting a hold of them, ever. She did however say that the dealer could call and ask for her personally if there is any problem, and the delay should be released as soon as they check their email.

I call the dealer BACK again and he says he will be checking his email and call me as soon as he gets a "black and white" copy of the release.

What a major pain in the arse. What's going on here?!?
I'm going into the dealer in an hour or two and if they don't have whatever paperwork they need I will have them call Sacramento and speak directly with the analyst. This is b.s.!

OlderThanDirt
08-01-2012, 12:01 PM

Shenannigans!

Mr.Sandman
08-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Then she proceeds to bad mouth the dealer (Aegis Enterprises in Burbank) saying there fax machine doesn't work and nobody answers the phone and they're the worst she's had to deal with.

Irony. I have dealt with some horrible FFL's in my day and they have never even come close to the hassle of dealing with the DOJ. Keep up the fight!

Gabriel80
08-01-2012, 1:35 PM
I was able to pick up the pistol today. I mentioned to the dealer what the DOJ thought about them and they laughed. The lady at the DOJ basically lied to me. She said she would do something and didn't, then tried to blame it on the dealer- which was all pretty transparent.

The real kicker was my dealer showed me the paperwork from the DOJ and it was time stamped in the email when they placed the delay. It was at 12:30pm on The 31st, that was the LAST MINUTE of the day for the release. They had 10 days to run a background check and looked into things at basically the time of the release. The dealer was about to call me, hoping I wasn't already on the way in.

All bullsh*t aside now, time to hit the range!

cdtx2001
08-01-2012, 1:38 PM
OP, enjoy your new gun. Be sure to report your experience on the forms provided in the link.

CSACANNONEER
08-01-2012, 1:42 PM

Later? Like during the 2008-2010 panic buying when you could not even find a LPK or a BGC? Yea, just stockpile lowers and don't worry. The other parts will always be easy to get. :rolleyes:

In all reality, lowers can and have been fabricated out of scrap metal, sheet metal, wood, plastic, etc. If one was to feel the need to buy anything and "keep it for later", one should buy everything but a lower.

cdtx2001
08-01-2012, 2:33 PM
Later? Like during the 2008-2010 panic buying when you could not even find a LPK or a BGC? Yea, just stockpile lowers and don't worry. The other parts will always be easy to get. :rolleyes:

In all reality, lowers can and have been fabricated out of scrap metal, sheet metal, wood, plastic, etc. If one was to feel the need to buy anything and "keep it for later", one should buy everything but a lower.

And a mill.

CSACANNONEER
08-01-2012, 2:59 PM
And a mill.

No mill needed. Lowers have been made by bolting together pieces of sheet metal from home depot. No lathe, mill or welding needed.

50BMGBOB
08-01-2012, 3:10 PM
That's one of the reasons 3 of the last 4 firearms I acquired are home built by me. I even bought a lathe and a mill for making them and I am still working on the next one.

XD40SUBBIE
08-01-2012, 3:24 PM
Gabriel it is my understanding that a misdemeanor trespass is not a misdemeanor that is part of the list of misdemeanors that can exclude you from owning a gun. Even if they find that in your background, why delay delivery if it will not exclude you, even if you were charged and convicted (which you were not). I don't get the basis of their complaints? so they had your rap sheet but did not have a disposition on the charges?

Gabriel80
08-01-2012, 3:55 PM
Gabriel it is my understanding that a misdemeanor trespass is not a misdemeanor that is part of the list of misdemeanors that can exclude you from owning a gun. Even if they find that in your background, why delay delivery if it will not exclude you, even if you were charged and convicted (which you were not). I don't get the basis of their complaints? so they had your rap sheet but did not have a disposition on the charges?

Exactly! It was extremely strange they were looking closely (or not close enough?!) at misdemeanor charges from 1999 and 1997. Only arrests, not even convictions. Clearly they did not have the correct information on the actual charges. Then the DOJ played the blame game on to why the delay was made and whose fault it was in clearing the delay. It was 100% phony balony to have me jumping through hoops.

Their "basis of explanation" was that all too often they overlook criminal charges and wanted to be sure about anything from my past. WTF.

adampolo13
08-01-2012, 3:56 PM
I was talking to LEO at the range this weekend. He heard through the grapevine that the only people not getting hastled by the DOJ were people with clean, and I mean absolutely clean with nothing on it. Just passin' on what I heard...

CSACANNONEER
08-02-2012, 6:33 AM
I was talking to LEO at the range this weekend. He heard through the grapevine that the only people not getting hastled by the DOJ were people with clean, and I mean absolutely clean with nothing on it. Just passin' on what I heard...

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that DOJ is hassling people with homebuilt, unmarked and 100% legal firearms?

cdtx2001
08-02-2012, 8:10 AM
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that DOJ is hassling people with homebuilt, unmarked and 100% legal firearms?

Records of course.

This kind of crap is unfair to people and I hope those at CGN can bring some financial pain to the CADOJ when it's all said n done.

wildhawker
08-02-2012, 8:22 AM
Records of course.

This kind of crap is unfair to people and I hope those at CGF CGN can bring some financial pain to the CADOJ when it's all said n done.

Fixed it for you, and yes, we will cause some pain.

-Brandon

wildhawker
08-02-2012, 8:26 AM
This is very interesting, assuming you've accurately relayed the information here.

It supports the contention that the 10-day wait is nothing more than theatrics (they either know or don't know your status within seconds or minutes of executing the check) and that CalDOJ has been sloppy in the past with the BG checks. I wonder if something (or many somethings) flagged during an Armed Prohibited Persons (California, not Federal) database search.

This also would seem to support use of NICS-no-wait, proceed/delay/deny procedures in this state. The 10 days is letting them keep headcount low (if at all), and that's it.

:43::whistling:

One could wonder why I started this little side project (calgunsfoundation.org/doj)...

Not that I might be interested in waiting period bans (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/news-blog/press/197-calguns-foundation-sues-california-over-firearms-waiting-period-.html) or anything...

-Brandon

edwardm
08-02-2012, 3:13 PM
:43::whistling:

One could wonder why I started this little side project (calgunsfoundation.org/doj)...

Not that I might be interested in waiting period bans (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/news-blog/press/197-calguns-foundation-sues-california-over-firearms-waiting-period-.html) or anything...

-Brandon

I don't wonder. I just sometimes feel like stating the obvious for those who don't know.

I easily forget that not everyone is jacked in, tuned up and turned on to this sort of stuff. I should have pasted those links in my reply.

I really need to inspect the inside of my eyelids one of these days. For about 8 hours.

Oceanbob
08-02-2012, 3:22 PM

This in Spades.! ^^^^^^

Everyone should have 5 lowers waiting for a build party..!! WHOOP WHOOP

adampolo13
08-02-2012, 3:26 PM
What I was saying is that I heard that the DOJ is delaying as many possible sales as they can. The only people getting through without being delayed are those with absolutely NOTHING on their record.

wildhawker
08-02-2012, 4:37 PM
I really need to inspect the inside of my eyelids one of these days. For about 8 hours.

When you figure out the solution to this, call me! :D

-Brandon

wash
08-02-2012, 5:28 PM
As much as I think sticky threads muck up a forum, maybe we need a "what to do if your DROS is delayed/denied" sticky thread.

There might be a good legal argument to force firearm release after 10 days if no disqualifying condition is found, instead of waiting 9 days, 23 hours and 59 minutes to start a fishing expedition.

If you haven't been convicted or otherwise disqualified, you should be able to tell CADOJ: piss off, you don't have anything on me, release my gun".

I'm not sure if that will work now but we should know how it works and what authority is being used to delay legal gun ownership.

I'm pretty sure that talking to CADOJ antis on a fishing trip might result in a bogus DROS denial based on your own words.

Don't tell them anything more than they need to know.

huntercf
08-02-2012, 5:32 PM
So do I need to go buy a gun to see if I am going to be delayed? I don't have anything on my record that prohibits me from owning a firearm but I have a couple things from when I was young and stupid.

wash
08-02-2012, 5:44 PM
The best defense is not to be young and stupid or else don't get caught.

Gabriel80
08-02-2012, 6:49 PM
The best defense is not to be young and stupid or else don't get caught.

Being young sometimes means being dumb and getting caught. But there's a difference in getting caught and getting convicted. I have been charged with criminal behavior but never pled guilty and was never found guilty on any arrests. ALL CHARGES DROPPED.

I'm innocent until found guilty by court of law, but if I want to purchase a firearm in California I'm still explaining my innocence in growing up to some lady in Sacramento who has enough details to look at my history sideways but doesn't have enough details to oversee the proper clearance and do her job proficiently!

wash
08-02-2012, 7:05 PM
My not so obvious point was that you can't change your past and you'll spend the rest of your life dealing with it.

It's not right for CADOJ to hassle people for items on their record that are not prohibiting offenses but the best way to avoid the hassle is to have a record without those items.

CSACANNONEER
08-02-2012, 7:18 PM
What I was saying is that I heard that the DOJ is delaying as many possible sales as they can. The only people getting through without being delayed are those with absolutely NOTHING on their record.

Gottcha. I completely misinterpeted your post. Sorry. Anyway, I believe you are right. A friend of mine has a DROS delay due to a detainment over 40 years ago!!!!! I know that when I worked at a LGS, I ordered and sold him a 50BMG rifle with no problems. Now, he has to jump through all kinds of hoops to make DOJ happy??? Go figure??

HowardW56
08-02-2012, 7:22 PM
Gottcha. I completely misinterpeted your post. Sorry. Anyway, I believe you are right. A friend of mine has a DROS delay due to a detainment over 40 years ago!!!!! I know that when I worked at a LGS, I ordered and sold him a 50BMG rifle with no problems. Now, he has to jump through all kinds of hoops to make DOJ happy??? Go figure??

They need to justify the 10 day wait in some way...

edwardm
08-02-2012, 7:48 PM
When you figure out the solution to this, call me! :D

-Brandon

Vat 69.

Or else kick all the ******** out of office and put some normal people in there. I recommend booze.

Gabriel80
08-02-2012, 7:54 PM
I'm kinda curious if I will have any issues with my DROS next week.

Was arrested on a misdemeaner
as a minor and later had everything expunged.

I'm curious too. The weirdest thing is that none of my other firearm purchases had any issue or question about them.

Bangzoom
08-02-2012, 8:04 PM
arent records for when you were a minor sealed?