PDA

View Full Version : growing weary of CA regs...

Gothboy
08-01-2012, 7:21 AM
So Im only 35 and im totally jaded with california. They dont like old cars, they dont like guns, they like taxing us more than neccessary...and building bullet trains... Don t get me started. Its like reading your obituary and waiting for the date to come. Im tired of this. Moving to a new state in the next couple years. Considering Oregon. Time to do research before I leave. Does anyone know if there's like an "Ore-Guns.whatever" site I can educate myself on other states gun regs? Any info appreciated. Thank you.

(BTW while Im still here, I sign every petition and affidavid to loosen ca's regs. I still try to help when I can.) -GothY-

Wiz-of-Awd
08-01-2012, 7:28 AM
This may be a good way for you to start:

Google> "Oregon gun laws and information"
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=Oregon+gun+laws+and+information&oq=Oregon+gun+laws+and+information&gs_l=hp.3...1573.9295.0.10015.31.24.0.7.7.1.189.32 49.0j24.24.0...0.0...1c.nkTItpWnh7A&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=fe95f686c7e992b1&biw=1220&bih=717

A.W.D.

SanPedroShooter
08-01-2012, 7:58 AM
http://www.oregonfirearms.org/

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/content/

OFF is Oregon's CGF. There arent really any gun laws beyond the federal ones as far as I can recall. Portland is a different story (and something of a different country, they have managed to avoid or evade state preemption issue which I think does not apply to carriage of openly displayed firearms in public and discharge of a firearm in city limits). The state is shall issue, but they are stingy with out of state permits.

Oh and hunting in cemeteries is prohibited. and your car is a 'public place' figure that one out....

a1c
08-01-2012, 8:00 AM
You're going to like a lot of things about Oregon. And you're going to hate the granola hipsters of Eugene and Portland.

No place is perfect.

Renaissance Redneck
08-01-2012, 8:03 AM
Politically, Oregon is much like California. The left-leaning state legislature is dominated by politicians from the large cities west of the the Cascades (eg, Portland). This is much like the power that comes from our Cali urban centers in SoCal and the Bay Area. That concentration of power frustrates the ruralites that predominate east of the Cascades and a few southern and coastal areas.

This is just a heads up, not a judgement call. My wife and I have considered AZ.

SanPedroShooter
08-01-2012, 8:05 AM
Like California but seemingly without the strength or will power. Nothing can compare to California's law factory in Sac. You could do a lot worse.

Gothboy
08-01-2012, 8:13 AM
Wow, thank you all very much! So far Im finding out that Oregon firearms laws are really very appealing to persons of our firearms favoritism. I know about the hipsters out there. I found it all very amusing. I visited a few times in the past and found the atmosphere to be quite pleasing, the weather to be relatively comfortable, the snowboarding to be great, and the people to be wonderful. There were old car shows all over in the summer, and cruising the harley was amazing what with the scenery and roadways. Politics is something yet I have to learn about there, but Im doing my research. :) Thank you again my friends. -GothY-

the86d
08-01-2012, 8:16 AM
Many of us know where you are coming from.

I am glad that you are fortunate to have an opportunity to leave the crap behind, however it is the pinko-commie politicians in this state that are too stupid to know that it makes the state's finances suffer from the lack of tax-payers willing to stay and deal with all the pinko-BS.

Congrats on your 1st motion toward freedom, to a free state!

SouthCoastTargets
08-01-2012, 8:21 AM
as a lifetime oregonian, i can tell you the state is a lot better than california in almost every aspect except the sale of liquor (state run monopoly, about 60% more expensive than california)

The Pros:

everything (except liquor) is cheaper, way cheaper.
only 3 million people in the entire state
lots of open space to shoot
relatively loose gun laws
all gas stations are mini serve (whether you like it or not)
no sales tax
people are nicer, more community oriented.

The Cons:

People drive ridiculously slow
the economy sucks
no jobs available
the weather (although after a lifetime of growing used to it, i miss it when im not there)

and the worst thing about oregon is that it is still a blue state, and the oregon legislature likes to mindlessly parrot what california does, just that they do it two years after CA does.

i have a fairly firm grasp on all of the firearms laws in oregon, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me (keep in mind im not a lawyer, blah blah blah) but i can tell you firearms laws in oregon are fairly simple, it takes about 10 minutes to learn them. the best place to start is where all the firearms laws are in the Oregon revised statutes. which is ORS 166, google that and read all of 166, its an easy read compared to CA laws, and you will know more than the cops in that state do. (thats not saying much though)

J.D.Allen
08-01-2012, 8:25 AM
Don't forget to make sure you can get good work before you go. I lived in Grants Pass and Medford for most of 2000 and 2001. The economy sucks there. Worse than the rest of the country. Ever since the environmentalists killed the logging industry the unemployment rate has been disproportionally high. And the weather sucks too. Starts raining in October and doesn't stop till May. Constantly overcast, if you grew up in CA it takes some getting used to not seeing the sun for three weeks at a time. I would really recommend AZ if you can swing it...

Gothboy
08-01-2012, 9:26 AM
AZ was the other state of choice for the big move. I have spent a decent ammount of time there aswell, and found many similarities between the two. the biggest difference between them, (as far as I can tell) being the weather. And though, I dont mind dirt n sun (dirt biking all year round! :),, My girl, whom is, a tried and true fire arms advocate and old car nut (like myself, which is hard to find) cant hack the warm weather. The median between the two, being CA is not an option, therefore leaving Oregon to be the realistic option. So, I'll just have to snow board year round instead. :) Fortunately aswell, I am with such a large corporation that I could just transfer when the time is right. Working on getting my credentials up to that as we speak, hence the time frame.

By the way, what does it mean "blue state" @SouthCoast Thank you! I probably will! :)

-GothY-

SouthCoastTargets
08-01-2012, 9:36 AM
By the way, what does it mean "blue state" @SouthCoast Thank you!

-GothY-

meaning its full of granola eating, birkenstock wearing, liberal retards (fortunately they are only found in eugene, corvallis, salem and P-town)

and

Your welcome

selfshrevident
08-01-2012, 10:23 AM
I too am considering a move in a few years. AZ is where I currently have my sights set. I feel as though the problem with a place like Oregon is that it's potentially a ticking time bomb for gun owners, seeing as to how the political deck is stacked in that state (mostly left leaning). What happens if some idiot takes an "assault weapon" and goes on a shooting spree? An AWB would be much easier to pass in a state like that then say somewhere like AZ. I will say that I have never lived there so I could be wrong. Point being is try to move to a place that has at least a level political playing field or right leaning. Set yourself up for success.

Gothboy
08-01-2012, 11:08 AM
I understand compketely what youre saying @Selfshrevident, However, Im sure that every state is not too far off from california style regs unfortunately. I just heard on the radio today that (I think it was Illinois) is trying to ban aw's and hi cap mags right now too because of Colorado's unfortunate issue. I feel that no matter where you go, you'll come under ther gun eventually, no pun intended. Since I know equal ammounts about OR and AZ (not very much) I cant discern a difference between the two in that regaurd. However yours was wise advice for sure! -GothY-

SouthCoastTargets
08-01-2012, 11:16 AM
I will say that I have never lived there so I could be wrong.

you are, oregonians may be granola eating, birkenstock wearing, liberal retards, but they are gun owning granola eating, birkenstock wearing, liberal retards.

only place in the world where seeing somebody shooting an AR15 while wearing birkenstocks is a common occurence

in fact there is a political party in oregon called the "blue steel democrats" and there are thousands of them. gun control is a losing issue in the state legislature, and they know it.

Gothboy
08-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Crazy! I'll support them if they support me. :)

Ok so heres another one for ya. At the local gun shows here, I hear that you can take a class and obtain a cc permit good for "x" ammount of states. 2 questions: Is oregon one of them, and if so... how? I was reading the concealed carry stuff on OFF's site and it mostly made sense but I cant understand how a CA resident can obtain such a permit for oregon.

Any ideas to help me clarify? Please and thank you for all your help everyone. you've been incredibly informative! :) -GothY-

Dragunov
08-01-2012, 11:53 AM
So Im only 35 and im totally jaded with california. They dont like old cars, they dont like guns, they like taxing us more than neccessary...and building bullet trains... Don t get me started. Its like reading your obituary and waiting for the date to come. Im tired of this. Moving to a new state in the next couple years. Considering Oregon. Time to do research before I leave. Does anyone know if there's like an "Ore-Guns.whatever" site I can educate myself on other states gun regs? Any info appreciated. Thank you.

(BTW while Im still here, I sign every petition and affidavid to loosen ca's regs. I still try to help when I can.) -GothY-This is the reason I'm moving this month.

GillaFunk
08-01-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm looking at a job on the Washington/Oregon border in Wash, just out of Mount Hood.

If I get it, I'll be in Oregon by Halloween.

Oregon sounds like the place to go. Lots of open space shoot and ride motorbikes. I LOVE Califailia weather, but I'm tired of being taxed for it.

HBrebel
08-01-2012, 12:09 PM
you will find Oregon is becoming more and more like CA. I just read yesterday that they are now jailing and fining people for 'stealing' rain water. I guess rain water is state property up there. Be careful of those hippies up there, they have become environmental nazis.

SpunkyJivl
08-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Im lookin to leave too. AZ or TX. Only issue is step kids and their father.... massive anchor.

the86d
08-01-2012, 12:20 PM
you will find Oregon is becoming more and more like CA. I just read yesterday that they are now jailing and fining people for 'stealing' rain water. I guess rain water is state property up there. Be careful of those hippies up there, they have become environmental nazis.

CO also has laws against this, but I don't know the specifics.

Not Nazis, but "Obama/EPA's SS" (Secret Service)... :)

vantec08
08-01-2012, 12:21 PM
I was my hope that liberalism was dying a natural death . . . until I realized that too many people have a finger in the treasury pie. You know, "environmental research", grants, etc. etc. It looks like that is what drives the entire movement (using the term sigmoidally).

Wherryj
08-01-2012, 12:45 PM
you are, oregonians may be granola eating, birkenstock wearing, liberal retards, but they are gun owning granola eating, birkenstock wearing, liberal retards.

only place in the world where seeing somebody shooting an AR15 while wearing birkenstocks is a common occurence

in fact there is a political party in oregon called the "blue steel democrats" and there are thousands of them. gun control is a losing issue in the state legislature, and they know it.

It is a losing issue for now. When enough Californians relocate there, that will change. The tide is shifting in Oregon already.

SouthCoastTargets
08-01-2012, 2:35 PM
Crazy! I'll support them if they support me. :)

Ok so heres another one for ya. At the local gun shows here, I hear that you can take a class and obtain a cc permit good for "x" ammount of states. 2 questions: Is oregon one of them, and if so... how? I was reading the concealed carry stuff on OFF's site and it mostly made sense but I cant understand how a CA resident can obtain such a permit for oregon.

Any ideas to help me clarify? Please and thank you for all your help everyone. you've been incredibly informative! :) -GothY-

no, oregon does not recognize other state's CCW, Oregon is a shall issue state so if you can legally buy a gun in oregon you can get your CHL (oregon has a "concealed handgun licence" not a ccw, and yes there is a difference)

my advice, move there, change your residency quickly, get the CA plate off your car (they are cop magnets in oregon) and dont tell the locals you are from CA, otherwise you get the "cold shoulder".

Bruceisontarget
08-01-2012, 3:27 PM
I'm eventually outa here too. I can't stand the uber liberals that have driven the state I was born in into bankruptcy. They have totally ruined this state. My strategy will be to move to a state that has like minded people who understand freedom and how to keep it. IMO that ain't Oregon. I'm thinking more Idaho, Texas, Tennessee or Utah (I don't drink, so their alcohol laws are a non-issue for me). These are the people, when a National gun ban is issued, who will say "Want to come take my guns, you better send someone you don't like to collect them."

randian
08-01-2012, 4:07 PM
Define "losing issue". For example, you can't get anything pro-gun through the Oregon legislature. Anything that tries, like the recent bill that would have required Oregon to honor out of state permits, gets gutted by one guy in the Senate. He turned it into an anti-gun bill. It never even made it to vote. Just one guy has the power to stop any and all pro-gun stuff. That doesn't sound like a "losing issue" to me.

acolytes
08-01-2012, 4:17 PM
AZ and TX are on the top of my refuge states when the time comes for me to get the hell out of CA.

SouthCoastTargets
08-01-2012, 8:01 PM
Define "losing issue". For example, you can't get anything pro-gun through the Oregon legislature. Anything that tries, like the recent bill that would have required Oregon to honor out of state permits, gets gutted by one guy in the Senate. He turned it into an anti-gun bill. It never even made it to vote. Just one guy has the power to stop any and all pro-gun stuff. That doesn't sound like a "losing issue" to me.

actually a whole bunch of pro gun bills just passed a couple months ago, including the CHL confidentiality bill, which got signed into law. just because one senator gutted one bill doesn't mean that its not a losing issue. besides once reciprocity passes (eventually it will) then it would have been irrelevant.

Cobrafreak
08-01-2012, 8:26 PM
I don't blame you for leaving. CA is as anti gun as we are pro gun. This will never change. We may win here and there but the attacks will never cease. Tired of having to constantly fight for rights. I have plans to leave in 15 years from now. Wish it could be sooner but I have too many responsibilities.

Ratboy
08-01-2012, 9:54 PM
I feel the same...

We've been thinking of the border states as well or even TX.

cruddymutt
08-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Ive had a transfer in for Idaho for a couple years but since my kids are now in HS, I will wait until they graduate. Of course as soon as I pulled my transfer one came up for Billings, MT. ID, MT, or WY, 4 years is my plan.

Dantedamean
08-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Ya I'm the same way. I want to move to Arizona. That way I can still be with in driving distance of my family and from what I've seen there the most 2A friendly state.

stix213
08-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Oregon gun laws are like 1 page so don't need a full wiki site to even learn the basics like here lol.

Fherot
08-02-2012, 12:27 AM
I feel like we live in this remote prison colony and we're being punished by strangers for no reason. And just a couple hours drive for me I'd be in the wide open free state of Arizona... My wife refuses the thought of moving to Arizona for some reason. She demands the beach.

One day...

Stubby
08-02-2012, 12:47 AM
AZ was the other state of choice for the big move. I have spent a decent ammount of time there aswell, and found many similarities between the two. the biggest difference between them, (as far as I can tell) being the weather. And though, I dont mind dirt n sun (dirt biking all year round! :),, My girl, whom is, a tried and true fire arms advocate and old car nut (like myself, which is hard to find) cant hack the warm weather. The median between the two, being CA is not an option, therefore leaving Oregon to be the realistic option. So, I'll just have to snow board year round instead. :) Fortunately aswell, I am with such a large corporation that I could just transfer when the time is right. Working on getting my credentials up to that as we speak, hence the time frame.

By the way, what does it mean "blue state" @SouthCoast Thank you! I probably will! :)

-GothY-

Know that not all of Arizona is the hot desert. There is the Prescott area and most of northern Arizona. Also the White mountain area in the east is a nice area with ski resorts. The down side is some of the towns are very small and have nothing to do. If you are the type who loves the big city this is a major negative!

Gothboy
08-02-2012, 5:00 AM
no, oregon does not recognize other state's CCW, Oregon is a shall issue state so if you can legally buy a gun in oregon you can get your CHL (oregon has a "concealed handgun licence" not a ccw, and yes there is a difference)

my advice, move there, change your residency quickly, get the CA plate off your car (they are cop magnets in oregon) and dont tell the locals you are from CA, otherwise you get the "cold shoulder".

Sound and solid advice my friend. I had heard too that the cops were pretty up on the opportunity to jump on any outsiders. But I would guess that the same is probably true of many states. They dont want "trash from other states ruining theirs". Which is a natural human feeling I guess. Just abit of power abuse being tied to personal baggage. Thats just the way it is I guess. lol. I'll look into the "CHL" when I get there first thing then, as well as heading right on over to the DMV, and such.

As far as the "your car is a public place" deal goes, does anyone know how that applies to your personal property, opr even if your car is parked on your property? Does having public property parked on private property affect anything differently? It seems a rather unique opinion of cars, but if its the law I better get used to it.

@Stubby Yea, I totally get you, I think AZ is quite an amazing place too, and even if it was all hot dirt I wouldnt really mind because Im not much of a big city kinda guy. I try to stay away from Los Angeles as much as I can, lol. My girl is dead set against AZ for some reason, and it doesnt look like theres gonna be any fighting that one. -GothY-

SanPedroShooter
08-02-2012, 8:00 AM
Just get your permit.

Oregon appeals court ruling: Your car is a "public" place.
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/second-amendment-gun-legislation-discussion/64121-oregon-appeals-court-ruling-your-car-public-place.html

http://or-chl.com/

I think the 'class' costs about ten bucks. Print out your cert. Good for AZ too.

HK Dave
08-02-2012, 9:53 AM
Anyone know what the gun climate is like in WA? While I considered AZ, it's just too dry for me.

randian
08-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Anyone know what the gun climate is like in WA? While I considered AZ, it's just too dry for me.
WA is an OC state. CC permits are shall-issue for both residents and non-residents, but you must apply in person. WA's WTF no-go zone is "outdoor music festivals". Signs do not have force of law. State preemption is in force. Pretty good, all around.

formerTexan
08-02-2012, 10:36 AM

WA has a few pros and cons:
1. SBR/SBS/MG are no-go here unless you are a FFL w/SOT. The morons in WA legislature banned further transfers in '94, to show they did "something". Suppressor and AOWs are good to go.
2. No state income tax, but state+local sales taxes. Can be high if near Seattle area (9+%), but lower in others, 7.75-8.5%. If you can live in SW Washington, like Vancouver, then shop tax free in Portland! If you work in OR and live in WA, OR will still take their state income tax, and you have to file an OR income tax return.
3. Shall issue chl/ccw by county sheriff, low cost, roughly $60 in my county.
4. If you buy a handgun and don't have CHL, there can be a waiting period of up to 3 days (most of the time, the dealer will call you to come back the same day for the local PD check/approval came back)
5. WA CHL is NOT honored in OR. Not a problem thanks to Grant County in OR :)
6. Fairly pro-gun legislature. Recently got to pass a bill allowing lawfully possessed suppressors to be used, and pressure Gregoire to sign it (mainly because LE groups supports the bill as well). Previously, nobody, including LE, could use them. You can possess them, in accordance with Fed. law, but could not shoot through them.

Gothboy
08-02-2012, 10:42 AM
@SanPedro Yeah, that sounds like the ONLY option. Too many strange things to think about otherwise, though the link you posted did make a good point. I agree that they officials probably intended to mean that your car "while on a public roadway" applies to public space regs. This is the only thing that makes any sense, though who am I to interpret what insanity goes on in a court. Thanks for that VERY IMPORTANT info. :) Its on my to do list! :) -GothY-

Dragunov
08-02-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't blame you for leaving. CA is as anti gun as we are pro gun. This will never change. We may win here and there but the attacks will never cease. Tired of having to constantly fight for rights. I have plans to leave in 15 years from now. Wish it could be sooner but I have too many responsibilities.So did I.... Dump them and leave. Actually, that wasn't fair to you, sorry. I know you just can't "pick-up-and-leave", but for the sanity of my family, this is what we chose to do. Gonna' be rough leaving a good job, but too many negatives that make it worth leaving here.