PDA

View Full Version : How to start a shooting range?

ohsnap306
08-01-2012, 1:36 AM
Hey Everyone,

Just doing some basic research on how an average joe would be able to start his own shooting range, if anyone could give me some run downs it would be greatly appreciated!

mif_slim
08-01-2012, 7:12 AM
Buy a land outside of city limits, get a bulldozer and start moving dirt to make a mound, make sure its in a safe direction...setup and shoot away!

Or are you talking about making a business out of it?

sixoclockhold
08-01-2012, 7:39 AM
I doubt an average Joe is going to start a commercial shooting range. Now a semi wealthy Joe could probably build an indoor range and get the required licenses.

If you want an outdoor range, your going to need a BIG back stop or own one heck of a lot of land, C3 isn't cheap.

finyllw
08-01-2012, 8:22 AM
Outdoors would be pretty hard to do in this state, at least building one anywhere near people.

Indoors might be easier. Get a big building, all the permits including hazmat license, install all the required air filtration systems, backstops, noise reduction padding, lighting, protection for lighting, bulletproof glass between range and office/front desk, etc.

So the joke goes, " How do you make a small profit from an Indoor Gun Range?"

Start with a LOT of money !!

blockfort
08-01-2012, 8:27 AM
read this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=594945&highlight=range

sixoclockhold
08-01-2012, 9:29 AM
Personally I would go for an outdoor with a theme. Middle of no where but has RV/tent camping. Now you have a captive audience, food, drinks, ice, wood, supplies, fuel, cable tv and shooting supplies which all bring the top line growth.

Have a few premium lanes that have life size animal targets that move randomly @ 300 yards with computerized contact screens at the bench.

DVSmith
08-01-2012, 9:57 AM
The NRA has a program for supporting ranges. You should check it out:

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/development.asp

UBFRAGD
08-02-2012, 4:37 PM
Personally I would go for an outdoor with a theme. Middle of no where but has RV/tent camping. Now you have a captive audience, food, drinks, ice, wood, supplies, fuel, cable tv and shooting supplies which all bring the top line growth.

Have a few premium lanes that have life size animal targets that move randomly @ 300 yards with computerized contact screens at the bench.

I have been dreaming of a shooters' Disneyland like this for years. There isn't one state in the Western US I wouldn't drive to every year for a quality camp 'n' shoot. Heck I'd beg for employment there too.

Curtis
08-02-2012, 6:29 PM
National Shooting Sports Foundation has information and programs to help starting a shooting range. They also give money out to help out ranges.

http://www.nssf.org/

far from tactical
08-02-2012, 8:17 PM
with an s-load of money

islandviewent
08-02-2012, 10:01 PM
EPA regs are really tough on outdoor ranges

sixoclockhold
08-04-2012, 3:41 PM
EPA regs are really tough on outdoor ranges

Could you give some examples please. Probably take me days to read all the garbage on their site.

I bet you could get past the fed, it's the states I would be worried about. Def. not Cali.