PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Gun Shop owners!

mrvash
08-01-2012, 12:51 AM
Hi guys,

I'm planning on opening up a gun shop up here in Northern California, Redding to be exact. I haven't owned a business before so this will be my first. I'm aware of the low profit margin in the actual sale of firearms, but make the money in the sale of accessories. I've done some research and it seems in order to obtain an FFL thru the ATF I would first have to find a storefront in the proper zoning area and get the state and local approval. I will be dealing new and used firearms, accessories and apparel, online store and online transfers. What would the initial start up costs be and what type of loans are available, where do I begin in obtaining the proper permits and licenses in my county (Shasta). If any of you gun shop employees and/or owners have any advice for me, please be so kind to respond in this thread or shoot me an email.

P.S,
I'm not in the market to become the super rich or make millions of bucks, I'm in the market because I have a passion for the hobby and I've always wanted to own my own business and to be able to mitigate the FUD there is with firearms and to cater to fellow gun owners and Calgunners! However, I do want to live comfortably (owning a home, car etc..)

Thank you all.

FalconLair
08-01-2012, 2:04 AM
good luck to ya brother, can't give you any advice, cuz I have no clue, but i'll be rooting for ya :D

NSR500
08-01-2012, 2:08 AM
I'm not in the market to become the super rich or make millions of bucks, I'm in the market because I have a passion for the hobby and I've always wanted to own my own business and to be able to mitigate the FUD there is with firearms and to cater to fellow gun owners and Calgunners! However, I do want to live comfortably (owning a home, car etc..)

Thank you all.

:popcorn:

You certainly came to the right place. You'll be the evil LGS that isn't entitled to make a profit and you're primary existence is to perform money losing PPTs for cheapskates crybabies.

SouthCoastTargets
08-01-2012, 8:42 AM

You certainly came to the right place. You'll be the evil LGS that isn't entitled to make a profit and you're primary existence is to perform money losing PPTs for cheapskates crybabies.

HA, so true

mrvash
08-01-2012, 2:53 PM
What is the profit margin for firearm sales and accessories?

Ripon83
08-01-2012, 3:01 PM
Under the "FFL" category below there is a whole thread - you should read on getting your FFL.

I'm not a shop owner (gun) but if I were buying the land/space would be important to me so that my "rent" at least paid off a mortgage. Thats' just me - good luck.

gunprofit
08-01-2012, 9:58 PM
you're primary existence is to perform money losing PPTs for cheapskates crybabies hahahahahaha I luv that guy !!! Boy did he hit the nail on the head !

7.62x54R
08-01-2012, 11:31 PM

Waaaahhhhh!!! I have to do PPT's...
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-siP5m0712_Q/TXqLeD7WtnI/AAAAAAAAADI/whOqFeWcmWk/cry-baby.jpg

Waaaahhhhhh!!!

If you dont want to do PPT's then dont become an FFL.

NSR500
08-01-2012, 11:56 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LiXKhcyAGFU/Te5WRqqluHI/AAAAAAAAHdc/JBnKrtnUg4A/s1600/U%2BMad%2BTho.jpg

Truth must have struck a nerve.

7.62x54R
08-02-2012, 12:07 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LiXKhcyAGFU/Te5WRqqluHI/AAAAAAAAHdc/JBnKrtnUg4A/s1600/U%2BMad%2BTho.jpg

Truth must have struck a nerve.

Like I enjoy going to an FFL and having him scowl at me and cry and having to waste 35$ for a California BS law. I don't want to do a PPT just like an FFL doesn't want too. But we both cant break the law now can we?

NSR500
08-02-2012, 2:14 AM
Like I enjoy going to an FFL and having him scowl at me and cry and having to waste 35$ for a California BS law. I don't want to do a PPT just like an FFL doesn't want too. But we both cant break the law now can we?

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/SoulBrotherKab/YEAH-BUT-Y-U-MAD.jpg

SunkenShadow
08-02-2012, 8:56 PM
Good luck!

From what I heard, you'll be hard pressed to find loans unless you talk to venture capitalists, and even then they might not give you anything....most of it is out of your own pocket capital.

tenpercentfirearms
08-04-2012, 9:54 AM
Hi guys,

I'm planning on opening up a gun shop up here in Northern California, Redding to be exact. I haven't owned a business before so this will be my first. I'm aware of the low profit margin in the actual sale of firearms, but make the money in the sale of accessories. I've done some research and it seems in order to obtain an FFL thru the ATF I would first have to find a storefront in the proper zoning area and get the state and local approval. I will be dealing new and used firearms, accessories and apparel, online store and online transfers. What would the initial start up costs be and what type of loans are available, where do I begin in obtaining the proper permits and licenses in my county (Shasta). If any of you gun shop employees and/or owners have any advice for me, please be so kind to respond in this thread or shoot me an email.

P.S,

Thank you all.

If I were you I wouldn't open a gun shop. If you aren't in it to make money, then don't get into it. All it will do is waste your time. Right now you come home from work and you relax. You play with your kids, you play video games, you go shooting, you in general enjoy your life.

Open a gun shop even part time and you will suddenly be catering to other people's needs. By appointment only? There goes your free time. Set regular hours, be prepared to spend hours after work doing paperwork, logging in inventory, and just staying busy.

Look at my stupid business name. Ten Percent Firearms. We were going to charge 10% over cost. Utterly stupid. 10% won't keep guns on your walls and it won't keep money in your pocket. I am a school teacher and I make over $50 an hour. Why in the hell would I start another job that makes less than that?

Start up a gun shop. Nothing will show you how valuable your time is more than losing it.

LAKings22
08-04-2012, 7:04 PM
I looked into opening up a shop too. I figured I enjoy guns so much why not get in the business. It seemed to me that I had to invest alot of money up front and wait for a really slow return. These days a lot of people buy online and will avoid paying the extra few bucks to support a local shop. If your money is right you might want to open up a indoor shooting range and have a gun store inside. You will get alot more people walking through your doors.

Carbuncle
08-04-2012, 8:22 PM
You know the saying "Do what you love and the money will follow"? Yea it's complete bull. It would be more accurate as "Do what you love and you'll learn to hate it and starve".

Just stick to your mind numbing, dead end job you currently have. You'll still be miserable at work, but at least you'll still love your passions and not have to live off ramen noodles.

Socalmedix
08-04-2012, 8:34 PM
I thought about gun shops, the interesting part would be if the government decided to ban all firearms and you suddenly go out of business.

ElToro
08-05-2012, 1:07 AM
i got nothing but admiration for guys that strike out and start their own shop. i do try to patronize my local independent shops as much as possible. good luck.