View Full Version : Out of State long arm purchase, documents needed?

07-31-2012, 10:34 PM
What forms are needed when initially going into an FFL establishment when they receive the long arm that you have purchased out of State and shipped to that FFL?

In other words for a handgun eventually I needed 1 a safety certificate and 2 proof of residence and 3 an ID and 4 knowledge about what safe I own and 5 money to pay the fees and taxes.

For instance do I need 2 proof of residence and 4 ownership of a safe for a long arm purchased out of state?

Thank you.

07-31-2012, 10:59 PM
You won't need the HSC.

Does your FFL know a rifle is being sent to them for you?

07-31-2012, 11:21 PM
You’ll need your CA DL and your pocketbook.

I’m assuming you’ve already had it shipped to your local FFL...

Wha’d ya buy???

08-01-2012, 10:57 AM
If it is used, a letter from the seller stating that it is used and the value would be helpful due to the sales tax issue. Some FFLs charge tax on used guns from out of state, some don't. I think that they are all supposed to charge CA sales tax now, but with a letter, you may slip one past the goalie.

08-01-2012, 12:09 PM
I told my FFL about the gun coming. Ithaca 37 made in 1942, has been reblued and stock refinished, from the pics it looks as new.

Yes, I think I will get hit with tax.

Someday (as in the gospel of luke christmas story) "And a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed". Hopefully we won't have to go on foot to our city of birth like Jesus' parents. I was born in a small town and there probably won't be room at the inn there during world tax day season. :D

I used to think the Bugs Bunney cartoon about this tax, that tax, and 'carpet tacks' was funny... :(