PDA

View Full Version : cold weather hunting gear

motobean95
07-31-2012, 9:19 PM
Going hunting in montana late nov. Looking for some good not too expensive cold weather gear. Found a 4 peice jacket that looks good by redhead but can decide if I am wasting my time thick jackets or if it is better to buy tons of layers...If so what? Any help would be appreciated.

Henry Shooter
07-31-2012, 9:50 PM
Layer with Merino wool medium long johns, Micro fleece turtleneck Wool pants Wool shirt and fleece vest. Check Cabelas for the wool. Very durable and reasonable price. I Hunt south and east of Missoula. Didnt make it last year due to work load. but will be out there this year. The last 2 weeks of elk season are the best. Good Luck My Friend

lewdogg21
08-01-2012, 6:19 AM
^^^^good advice. Layer so you can peel em off when you need to.

The most dangerous thing in the extreme cold isn't the cold but getting sweaty or wet and then you will get cold and suffer or die. After 20 mins of breaking ice I've stripped down to boxers and pulled my baselayer shirt up in 10* in an effort to get the sweat off me.

mif_slim
08-01-2012, 7:03 AM
Layer it up!

motobean95
08-01-2012, 8:39 AM
thanks everyone. Anyone use the redhead mountain stalker jacket or their c.w.s jacket?

Coyotegunner
08-01-2012, 9:05 AM
Layers are best.Leave the wool for underwear.
If you are hunting late November in Montana,forget any thing that is not windproof and hopefully water proof for a shell.We spent several years during October doing 5 animal hunts(deer/antelope) over a week above Fort Peck Reservoir in the 700 areas.A couple days were 70 degrees,but when storms came through it was in the teens,with a couple of windchill days around 20-30 below zero.When the power steering box doesn't want to move in your truck,it is cold.Back your truck in,so in the morning you can drive for a ways in first gear.Park out of the wind if possible.I use a Drake duck and goose coat and bibs for my outer shell and a baklava from Cabelas.This weekend Bass pro has there brand of coat with a polar fleece liner,that comes out for I believe $150 or $160 and you get the pants or bibs for $20 during the sale.Take a pair of Carhart insulated coveralls as well,to at least change into if need be.Over in the wind,your face will suffer as well,keep chapstick handy and try to drink alot of water.Carry the long unscented candles in your truck.They will keep you from freezing in the truck,if you are stuck in the gumbo mud or snow.I carry a sleeping bag now.Depending on where we were at up there,cell service was non existent,even on the highway.Keep in mind all that cold,when the wind is blowing keeps the animals hunkered down low in the trees.I would push them and when they ran out,we shot them.I used a Harris swiveling bipod that goes to
27".When cold like that,everyone shakes.Good Luck

I forgot to mention.Service your bolt in your rifle,the firing pin.I get rid of all the grease and oil(IT FREEZES).Lube it with dry moly spray and anything else that has to move,like door latches.Hot water cracks frozen winshields.Well I could go on and on.

motobean95
08-01-2012, 1:27 PM
Layers are best.Leave the wool for underwear.
If you are hunting late November in Montana,forget any thing that is not windproof and hopefully water proof for a shell.We spent several years during October doing 5 animal hunts(deer/antelope) over a week above Fort Peck Reservoir in the 700 areas.A couple days were 70 degrees,but when storms came through it was in the teens,with a couple of windchill days around 20-30 below zero.When the power steering box doesn't want to move in your truck,it is cold.Back your truck in,so in the morning you can drive for a ways in first gear.Park out of the wind if possible.I use a Drake duck and goose coat and bibs for my outer shell and a baklava from Cabelas.This weekend Bass pro has there brand of coat with a polar fleece liner,that comes out for I believe $150 or $160 and you get the pants or bibs for $20 during the sale.Take a pair of Carhart insulated coveralls as well,to at least change into if need be.Over in the wind,your face will suffer as well,keep chapstick handy and try to drink alot of water.Carry the long unscented candles in your truck.They will keep you from freezing in the truck,if you are stuck in the gumbo mud or snow.I carry a sleeping bag now.Depending on where we were at up there,cell service was non existent,even on the highway.Keep in mind all that cold,when the wind is blowing keeps the animals hunkered down low in the trees.I would push them and when they ran out,we shot them.I used a Harris swiveling bipod that goes to
27".When cold like that,everyone shakes.Good Luck

I forgot to mention.Service your bolt in your rifle,the firing pin.I get rid of all the grease and oil(IT FREEZES).Lube it with dry moly spray and anything else that has to move,like door latches.Hot water cracks frozen winshields.Well I could go on and on.

By all means go ahead and go on! This has been the most help I have got. finally some spacific tips that arnt common sense. Thank you!

Rusty_Buckhorn
08-01-2012, 1:51 PM
I tend to stay away from big heavy jackets, and go with layers and a rain proof shell. Makes it easier to shed layers, but still be waterproof.
And, as said above, bring something warm for in camp. The last thing you want to do with your hunting cloths on is to huddle around a camp fire.... the next day you smell like a bonfire walking around.

tpuig
08-01-2012, 2:05 PM
Right now is a great time to grab clearance items from Cabela's, Bass, Sportsmans Guide, Camofire, etc.

As everyone else has already mentioned, layers are the key...

I hunted in WY last November. Wore shorts and a button up shirt most of the time. But once the wind kicked in and/or it snowed, the layers went back on. Don't forget a nice hat, or a jacket with a hood. Gotta keep the head and neck warm.

Henry Shooter
08-01-2012, 8:51 PM
I am a sweater so wool for me works very well. The Micro fleece keep the sweat away actuall wicks it down my arms and freezes on the cuffs. Grow a beard also, If you can, its amazing how a little fur will keep you warm. Specially when IT freezes. I also wear a micro fleece beenie orange of course, and wool mittens that have a flap where the fingers fold back.
Think about what goes into your pack also. Take a couple BIC lighters and some good fire starter. I carry some heavy pitch wood shaving for starting a fire. but cotton with vaseline in a film canister works well also. Good boots and sock. I wear danner boots that have the Air Bob soul. works extremely well in snow... You wont slip as easy. I also wear medium weight wool socks. Good to carry an extra pair also in a plastic bag in the pack.
Have fun

toby
08-02-2012, 7:38 PM
I use Cabelas Wooltimate outfitter series and love it, also a good deal and great performance is the Columbia brand Wool.

wjc
08-03-2012, 2:43 AM
I prefer Sitka gear. Layering is also part of a good plan.

motobean95
08-03-2012, 2:39 PM
going to bass pro this weekend anyone use any of their cold weather gear? and if so what do you recommend?