PDA

View Full Version : Dry firing in backyard ever caused you any issues?

Quinc
07-31-2012, 3:54 PM
I normally dry fire off my back porch looking across the canyon. My neighbors are all fine with guns but I got to thinking after the Batman incident. What if someone driving or walking their dog sees me with my evil looking "sniper" rifle and calls the police? Will they take my gun, am I brandishing a weapon even though its in my backyard? Or am I just being paranoid..:TFH:

welchy
07-31-2012, 3:57 PM
In Butte county? I'd say you're paranoid. :)

explorerdude
07-31-2012, 3:59 PM
Not LEO, but isnt it against that law to have a gun in public starting Jan 1st 2012?

ExtremeX
07-31-2012, 4:02 PM
Not LEO, but isnt it against that law to have a gun in public starting Jan 1st 2012?

Pretty sure that has to do with pistol UOC.

chillincody
07-31-2012, 4:02 PM

He said off his back porch which means on his property there is no law yet saying you cant do it op is just a lil paranoid :TFH: but I blame this State for making us so paranoid

explorerdude
07-31-2012, 4:11 PM
He said off his back porch which means on his property there is no law yet saying you cant do it op is just a lil paranoid :TFH: but I blame this State for making us so paranoid

figured that much

PoorRichRichard
07-31-2012, 4:15 PM
Dry firing in backyard ever caused you any issues?

Yes, but only because there was still a round left in the chamber of one of my 22 semi-autos!!! Luckily it was pointed towards the garage:o

Capybara
07-31-2012, 4:17 PM
I live in a tract and I have been up in my second floor office with my scoped rifles because I can't focus and look through a scope in the house, you need some distance. But if the wrong person was looking in my window, I am sure that I must look to be a sniper.

TheThousands
07-31-2012, 4:34 PM
I doubt it. I live in a pretty densely populated area (San Diego and Berkeley) and have never had anyone say anything about me sitting on my balcony dry firing rifle/pistol. Of course me laying in a hammock eating beef jerky hardly looks like a sniper. If you're out there all decked out you might make some trouble.

Whiplash Actual
08-01-2012, 1:24 AM
It's your porch and all but why would you want to bring unwanted attention to yourself for something as inane as dryfiring at a bunch of trees? I doubt if LE walked up responding to a complaint and saw you just chilling with your weapon laid against the wall they would make much of it but it could definitely be misconstrued.

Dantedamean
08-01-2012, 2:14 AM
Really?? This is ok with you guys but I get derided for asking about LOC on a balcony???

Quinc
08-01-2012, 8:37 AM
It's your porch and all but why would you want to bring unwanted attention to yourself for something as inane as dryfiring at a bunch of trees? I doubt if LE walked up responding to a complaint and saw you just chilling with your weapon laid against the wall they would make much of it but it could definitely be misconstrued.

My house is too small for my 5-20 scope, and I am firing at small rocks about 1200 yards away. Normally I wouldn't care but with all the omgz gunz in the news I figured I should find out. Next thing to worry about is if they think my snap cap is a live round?! :TFH:

JBaus
08-01-2012, 10:17 AM

The Open Carry State Ban only applied to Handguns. See Link below for more information:

http://californiaopencarry.org/faq.html

This is an FAQ that I found and you should always do your own research and ask a professional in these matters of Open Carry or any Firearms laws/regulations

TacticalPlinker
08-01-2012, 10:24 AM
I have a question, if you have preformed a proper safety check to ensure the firearm is unloaded, why do you need to dry fire outside your home? Are you doing some sort of dry fire training drills or...?

RandyD
08-01-2012, 11:08 AM
I blame this State for making us so paranoid

I completely agree with your statement. The state has been instrumental in conditioning the population of California that guns are a threat to their safety. Just another example of politicians creating problems (where none existed) so they can find a solution.

To the OP, I think you are exercising good judgment in considering the consequences of your actions. If your actions of dry firing a firearm are observed by a third party, your actions can be misinterpreted, and you would have no control over what that third party reports to the police or how the police react to the report. With that said, your dry firing could lead to a SWAT response to your home. As unfortunate as this is, this is a possibility, so exercise good judgment in how you proceed.

morthrane
08-01-2012, 1:08 PM
I have a question, if you have preformed a proper safety check to ensure the firearm is unloaded, why do you need to dry fire outside your home? Are you doing some sort of dry fire training drills or...?

Cheap dry firing drills with snap caps. Put small shoot'n'sees or just thumbtacks into a fence, use them as aiming points. I just go outside because I can get a bit more distance than indoors and pretend that's not a 3" S'n'S.

I've often wondered the same thing as the OP-- my backyard is pretty walled off and secluded from suburban whitopia, but every so often I realize that someone might be able to see something, like say doing a strong to weak offhand transition where I'm lifting the rifle over my head to clear the sling.

Or the rather distinctive sound of an AK or AR being chambered with a snap cap from a magazine.

TacticalPlinker
08-01-2012, 4:45 PM
... like say doing a strong to weak offhand transition where I'm lifting the rifle over my head to clear the sling...

Sorry to thread jack, but you need to watch more Travis Haley... That's a really bad drill to practice and even worse to get in the habit of doing.

mexicancolt1
08-01-2012, 5:34 PM
If your neighbors are fine with it, I guess your OK. My neighbors have seen me cleaning my guns outside in my backyard and are afraid to make contact with me. I prefer it that way

joemama
08-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Ya I doubt you have much to worry about up here. Maybe 1/100 people that would drive by would be afraid. Probly less than that.