PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question--Hunter safety for bow hunting

Citadelgrad87
07-31-2012, 3:09 PM
Is the hunter safety class for a bow hunting license the same class as the firearms class?

Thanks.

PS Anyone in OC recommend a decent one, I took one about 25 years ago in someone's backyard and I was more knowlegeable than the entire teaching staff. It was FUD R US.

pdq_wizzard
07-31-2012, 3:15 PM
Is the hunter safety class for a bow hunting license the same class as the firearms class?

Thanks.

PS Anyone in OC recommend a decent one, I took one about 25 years ago in someone's backyard and I was more knowlegeable than the entire teaching staff. It was FUD R US.

I'm not in OC, buy can say in CA they are the same.

Some states require a separate bow class,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

NoNOS67
07-31-2012, 3:19 PM
So you're taking it to improve your skills, not because you still need a hunter safety class, right?

dirtracer24
07-31-2012, 3:28 PM
If you took it years ago you dont need to take it again. 98% of the stuuf they talked about when I did mine was common sense and stories of the teachers kills and hunts. Just go buy a license and tell them you had a license years ago and you should be fine. Take a friend or family member and can vouch for you and sign the affidavit saying under penalty of perjury bla bla bla that you at one point in time went to hunter safety class and had a hunting license.

ewarmour
07-31-2012, 4:08 PM

Thanks.

A hunter safety class is required to get a hunting license - regardless of the method of take.

jmonte35
07-31-2012, 4:14 PM
In California there is only a hunter safety requirement for all methods of take......however, most other states require a seperate bow hunter safety course. I'm from NY and they happen to be one of the states that require a seperate course.

I have both a hunter safety and a bow hunter course. California has bow hunter safety and can be found on the DFG site.

Once again in California there is no requirement Bow Hunter Safety.

Just on a side note some other states also require a muzzleloader safety course if you plan to hunt muzzleloader.

Citadelgrad87
07-31-2012, 4:40 PM
A hunter safety class is required to get a hunting license - regardless of the method of take.

Right, I am asking if it is the same class, not whether I have to take it.

Citadelgrad87
07-31-2012, 4:41 PM
So you're taking it to improve your skills, not because you still need a hunter safety class, right?

Neither. I wondered if my old one is good for bowhunting, and my daughter wants to hunt, so I plan to take it with her, just want to make sure I am taking the correct class.

Is there a bow oriented HSC?

jmonte35
07-31-2012, 5:37 PM
Neither. I wondered if my old one is good for bowhunting, and my daughter wants to hunt, so I plan to take it with her, just want to make sure I am taking the correct class.

Is there a bow oriented HSC?

Not that I am aware of........unless you know an instructor who is willing to go more in depth in that arena but usually there is a large class so they aren't going to be more specific to one form....but honostly having taken both they are very good and different. I went with a friend of mines kid and hunter ed is just as educational as it was 15 yrs. ago. go to both.

Hunter Safety is kind of a prereq for bow safety. Hunter safety focuses on weapons safety...i.e. shooting in a safe direction, treat it as if its loaded etc. etc. etc.

Bow hunter safety breaks it down very specific to archery.....what would be specifically beneficial to your daughter is stand safety....bow hunter ed puts a lot of emphasis on stand safety and also shot placement.

Unfortunately you'll likely want to take both if you plan to do bow primarily. The bow does not replace reguler hunter ed.

Hope that helps...

napahunter
07-31-2012, 5:41 PM
You take hunters safety, and you go hunting with whatever the hell thats legal to shoot. Bow, air gun, rifle, black powder. Yes you can hunt with an air gun, look it up for the naysayers. Get you stuff together, get appreciate lic, and have fun!!!

spectr17
07-31-2012, 6:09 PM
Yes there is a bow hunter safety course and some states require it. From what I've seen it is a great class even for old timers, great info and diagrams on vital areas, blood tracking etc. CA DFG DOES NOT REQUIRE bow hunting safety at this time.

http://www.bowhunter-ed.com/

Also, there are no dumb questions. Please don't feel that you shouldn't ask any question no matter how goofy it sounds. If someone looks down on you for it find another mentor or person to ask.

GVOllie
08-01-2012, 1:25 PM
I had my daughter in hunter safety two weeks ago and the instructor claimed they were going to be mandating a separate class for bowhunting in the near future. Nothing to back it up with, just passing along what was said.

edgerly779
08-01-2012, 2:54 PM
No more affidavits. If you completed hunters safety or had a prior license after 1989 you must go to dfg office for duplicate otherwise contact wherever you got hunter safety or take course over.

Rusty_Buckhorn
08-01-2012, 3:09 PM
I know CA used to offer a bow safety class, not sure anymore. I know ID requires the cert, but if you've archery hunted in another state, it counts towards your cert... or something like that. Didn't draw my archery tag so I didn't have to look into it any further.

wjc
08-01-2012, 4:50 PM
Everyone must take the General Hunter Safety Course to get a hunting license in CA.

DFG also provides a separate course for bowhunting that can also be used to fulfill the reqs for other states.

Look here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/classes-bow-hunting.aspx

spectr17
08-01-2012, 5:24 PM
I had my daughter in hunter safety two weeks ago and the instructor claimed they were going to be mandating a separate class for bowhunting in the near future. Nothing to back it up with, just passing along what was said.

They've been trying for years to make it mandatory for bowhunting safety ed. I think it should be mandatory also, bowhunting is a completely different style of hunting and mindset. Lots of folks lose game because they just don't know how to prep or track. Just the simple stuff like using white knocks so you can see your arrow hit on the animal better to knowing where you hit the animal by what hair you find on the ground can really help.

JasonM
08-02-2012, 8:07 AM
You've gotten good answers for the first part of your question. As to the second part, I don't know about OC, but I was pretty happy with the class I took at Escondido Fish and Game in NE San Diego county. The guy had scat samples, some good stories and tips and there were quite a few kids. I'll probably be taking my son to the class this month. You can get some contact info at www.escondidofishandgame.com. The next class is Sat/Sun, August 11/12th.

Untamed1972
08-02-2012, 8:49 AM
If you took it years ago you dont need to take it again. 98% of the stuuf they talked about when I did mine was common sense and stories of the teachers kills and hunts. Just go buy a license and tell them you had a license years ago and you should be fine. Take a friend or family member and can vouch for you and sign the affidavit saying under penalty of perjury bla bla bla that you at one point in time went to hunter safety class and had a hunting license.

Under the current system you have to either show a hunter safety cert, or a previous hunting license from CA or any other state I believe. There is no way to "bluff that requirement". The computer system wont let them do it.

ewarmour
08-02-2012, 9:27 AM
Right, I am asking if it is the same class, not whether I have to take it.

The same class as what? A hunter safety class is a hunter safety class. Pick one with a different instructor. There may be classes tailored to one method of take or another but safety applies whether you are hunting with a gun, bow or crossbow.

If you have completed a hunter safety class you can buy a hunting license anytime after the class was completed.

You can use the hunting license to kill what's in season with any legal method of take: air guns, black powder, archery, firearm, box trap, etc...

As for OC, I don't know. I took mine in San Diego at the MCRD with Noel Allan a long time ago..

pdq_wizzard
08-02-2012, 6:29 PM
The same class as what? A hunter safety class is a hunter safety class. Pick one with a different instructor. There may be classes tailored to one method of take or another but safety applies whether you are hunting with a gun, bow or crossbow.

If you have completed a hunter safety class you can buy a hunting license anytime after the class was completed.

You can use the hunting license to kill what's in season with any legal method of take: air guns, black powder, archery, firearm, box trap, etc...

As for OC, I don't know. I took mine in San Diego at the MCRD with Noel Allan a long time ago..

There are some states that require a bow hunter safety class, CA is not one of them. So unless you are hunting with a bow out of state don't worry about it, you take the same class.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

86mcss
08-02-2012, 7:43 PM

I was told this 13 years ago and promptly took a course. No law was ever passed. I would avoid taking a course until a law is set in stone...unless some one is a beginner and would like a little guidance.

wjc
08-03-2012, 1:42 AM
I was told this 13 years ago and promptly took a course. No law was ever passed. I would avoid taking a course until a law is set in stone...unless some one is a beginner and would like a little guidance.

yeah, I've actually seen an instructor go off because the rules that they
taught weren't correct.

Wait for the law. Take the separate bow class if you want.

Citadelgrad87
08-03-2012, 9:42 AM

The same class as the firearm based hunter safety. That's the point, I'm ASKING if they are the same. The class I took years ago didn't mention archery at all.

Rusty_Buckhorn
08-03-2012, 10:38 AM
The normal hunters safety course will not count as a bowhunters safety course.

wjc
08-03-2012, 4:15 PM
The same class as the firearm based hunter safety. That's the point, I'm ASKING if they are the same. The class I took years ago didn't mention archery at all.

I took the general HSC several years ago so it should be close to the same as today.

At least in my class, the instructor gave a very rudimentary archery explanation showing the types of bows and how to use them. Kind of the same level as they taught for muzzle loaders.

My understanding is the bow course I mentioned is a more focused course on bow hunting...kind of like the advanced courses DFG puts on.