PDA

View Full Version : FED-ORD 1911?

AK all day
07-31-2012, 1:21 PM
My father has a FED-ORD 1911 that we know not a thing about. Anybody know anything about them? It appears to be modeled after the 1911A1, but quality doesn't really seem to be there. he says he remembered it did not like hollow points. Thanks guys, any info would be great.:confused:

Donkeypunch0420
07-31-2012, 1:45 PM
I know Federal Ordnance cobbled some guns together several years back, using a mixed bag of USGI and new parts. Think they also made a M1 Garand and M14's back then too. I've heard that quality is spotty, so hopefully you got a good one. I actually have a Fed-Ord k98 action Mauser in 7.62NATO. The rifle has never been fired so can't tell you how she shoots. Looks nice enough though.

gibbet
07-31-2012, 7:13 PM
If it has an aluminum receiver check for receiver cracks. Parts may not be usgi, easiest way to spot is look for crude casting shadows. Best place to get info is on 1911 forum.

beerman
07-31-2012, 7:17 PM
Joe made some pretty nice guns early on...but was forced to cheapen 'em up as time went by (by the managment) I worked around the corner from their shop..great bunch of guys there..I sure would like to turn back time to really stock upon some of their stuff (like the $69 swede mausers)...hey Paul you out there?

AK all day
07-31-2012, 9:17 PM
I should have waited to post this thread, but was itchen for info. I will take a look at the gun as soon as I can (not in possession currently), and also get some pictures and such.

BTW, the front sight flew off about 2 years ago, and it hasn't been fired since. Will any fron sight fit?

InGrAM
07-31-2012, 9:34 PM
I should have waited to post this thread, but was itchen for info. I will take a look at the gun as soon as I can (not in possession currently), and also get some pictures and such.

BTW, the front sight flew off about 2 years ago, and it hasn't been fired since. Will any fron sight fit?

Most likely any narrow tenon front sight will fight but don't hold me to that.

prob
07-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Joe made some pretty nice guns early on...but was forced to cheapen 'em up as time went by (by the managment) I worked around the corner from their shop..great bunch of guys there..I sure would like to turn back time to really stock upon some of their stuff (like the $69 swede mausers)...hey Paul you out there?

I used to love that place and bought many a firearm there. I remember one time when they imported a bunch of Enfield No.1 Mk 3s from Iraq. Not only did you get the rifle (I think they were either $69 or $79) but they threw in a at least one bandolier of ammunition to go with it. I say at least one because there were a number of times when they gave me three or four with a rifle.

What fond memories.

Sadly, Paul passed away a few years ago.