PDA

View Full Version : A national journal poll on the NRA

07-31-2012, 9:34 AM
Congressional Insiders Agree: NRA is All-Powerful: By Shane Goldmacher and Peter Bell

Here is one thing Democrats and Republicans in National Journal's latest Congressional Insiders poll agree on: the National Rifle Association has an iron-clad grip on Congress when it comes to gun-control issues.

Copyright 2012 by National Journal Group Inc.

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2012/07/congressional-i-21.php

Please do not post whole articles - see http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=363956

We are still in the "one (short) paragraph and a link is low-risk." mode, despite appropriate legal action against the major risk provider. Righthaven is not the only offender…

See the stickies http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=394912

// Librarian

The Tiger
07-31-2012, 9:45 AM
That's why I'm a member.

You don't hire a lawyer to play nice. You hire a lawyer to represent you and get things done. In some cases, that lawyer can say and do things that you can't. That s the way i view the NRA and why i support them. They are very influential and or cause needs a strong advocate top counter al the antis.

07-31-2012, 9:47 AM
That is why all gun owners should be members.

hornswaggled
07-31-2012, 10:03 AM
The NRA, F--- Yeah!

G60
07-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Link? I'd like to share this.

acolytes
07-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Proud member here. I also recruited 4 more members last week.

07-31-2012, 10:23 AM
http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2012/07/congressional-i-21.php

The link to the article

2Aon2wheels
07-31-2012, 10:23 AM
link: http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/congressional-insiders-poll-20120726

Legasat
07-31-2012, 11:24 AM
That's why I just recently upgraded my membership...

SkyMag68
07-31-2012, 11:31 AM
"It is Darth Vader and Jack-the-Ripper rolled into one," said another Democrat ..That's what I'm talkin about..:43:

gobler
07-31-2012, 11:38 AM
That's rich coming from constitutional terrorists...

Sent from somewhere in space & time...

BlindRacer
07-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Whenever I hear the NRA being discussed, it's generally portrayed as this giant monster that only looks out for itself and gun manufacturers, so it can protect its illicit arms trading.

I don't know if I've ever heard it portrayed as what it really is...a membership group, fighting to uphold the rights of it's many millions of members across the country and beyond.

It's not 'the gun lobby', it's the face of normal Americans.

Beyond that, the artical says, "In the wake of the tragic shooting in Aurora, Colorado, that sway is one of the main reasons few expect Congress to begin a serious discussion of overhauling the nation's gun laws." All I hear from this, is that these people are upset because they aren't getting a chance to infringe on peoples' God given rights, that are protected by the Constitution. As always, replace 'gun laws' in this quote with any other protected civil right, like freedom of religion, freedom from slavery, freedom of press, speech, etc, etc, and it makes it sound so horrible of these people. Yet they can speak of the 2nd amendment in this way, and it's not publicly unacceptable. The challenge is to change this view with the fence sitting American public. Make it shameful to hold these beliefs.

Whenever I hear someone who wants to ban guns...All I hear is that they would rather my Daughter be raped and beaten to near death, than for her to be able to protect herself. It's disgusting the view that these people hold. Shame on them.

mag360
07-31-2012, 5:59 PM
sent in an extra donation just because of this!!

stix213
07-31-2012, 7:01 PM
NRA's power is misunderstood by so many who are against self defense rights. I've heard so many times about the NRA and how they use tons of money from the gun manufacturers to buy off congress.

I get a confused look when I explain that a few million members all paying $35 per year, add on donations from many of those same people on top and you account for what is likely the majority of NRA cash flow by my guess. But the power of the NRA doesn't even come from there, it comes from the many more millions of Americans that check NRA ratings before voting, and how a single e-mail from the NRA to their members can bring an immediate large response contacting their representatives.

Usually the best they can say back is, "hmmm...." with no arguement lol

GOEX FFF
07-31-2012, 7:24 PM
NRA has 4.3 Million dues paying members. There are approx. 80 million gun-owners in this country. If just 10% of that joined NRA we wouldn't have to worry about our 2A being under constant attack.

Remember, when you join NRA, you're not just a member, YOU ARE the NRA and you help the influence. And all for the cost of a Large pizza with toppings, a six pack of coke and bread sticks....once a year. There is no excuse for not joining.

But then for some unknown blasted reason, there are the ones who feel not getting "junk mail" is more important than the security of RKBA. :facepalm:

To quote Bill -

And if we could get the arse-sitters to join and get us to an 8-10 million level, the BATF would visit and offer to TurtleWax our gunsafes.

Goosebrown
07-31-2012, 7:31 PM
"It is Darth Vader and Jack-the-Ripper rolled into one," said another Democrat ..That's what I'm talkin about..:43:

Oh YEAH!!!

drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
07-31-2012, 7:33 PM
I joined (Life Membership) about the time I was old enough to vote. I considered it a good investment at the time and still do. Without them, and other groups like them, we would not be able to own guns now, in my opinion.

My advise to people who haven't joined... If you're waiting for the perfect 2A organization to come along, it never will. What ARE you waiting for? The Second Coming!

vincewarde
07-31-2012, 9:46 PM
NRA has 4.3 Million dues paying members. There are approx. 80 million gun-owners in this country. If just 10% of that joined NRA we wouldn't have to worry about our 2A being under constant attack.

EXACTLY. That would roughly double the current membership - and the NRA's clout.

That said, the NRA is unquestionably the most powerful lobby in Washington - and it is definitely a grass roots organization with influence far beyond it's membership. One poll I saw put the NRA as the single most influential organization among voters - so it's easy to understand why lawmakers would not want to cross them (or I should say, us). The other side can only dream of such power.

Once in a while, at times like these, the gain some temporary support and try to advance their agenda. The problem the have is that this is only temporary - while the NRA and the larger gun rights movement never goes away. That's why - at least at a national level - we keep winning.

RMP91
07-31-2012, 10:37 PM
Why not give out free memberships for first time gun buyers? Our power would go through the roof, we'd be untouchable!

BlindRacer
08-01-2012, 9:13 AM
Why not give out free memberships for first time gun buyers? Our power would go through the roof, we'd be untouchable!

I think this should be a standard thing as well. Purchase a gun, and the gun manufacturer pitches in the dues to the NRA for the year. Win, win, win.

I believe Taurus does this. Or something similar. But I think it should be industry wide. Just imagine how many members there would be, if all it took was buying a gun. It would probably not just double, but I could see it exponentially increasing. Seems very logical to me.

Nick Justice
08-01-2012, 11:03 AM

Yeah. Darth Vader is a fictional character (who turned to good in the end. Sorry for the spoiler!), and Jack The Ripper used a knife.