PDA

View Full Version : CGF Director positions

Hopi
07-31-2012, 8:30 AM
Reflecting on some recent developments as well as legacy 'issues'.......

Curious about the tenure of these positions and the process for additions and removals.

Can anyone that actually does stuff for CGF shed some light on this subject?

And this quote from last year stuck with me and makes tons of sense now...

True, but when you have a couple real bench sitters, it's time to trade them off for some better players...;)

So, do people have to resign or can they be removed?

taperxz
07-31-2012, 8:34 AM
:lurk5:

I think the members are the members unless the board wishes one to be removed. There are only 9 people. FWIW

Anti-Hero
07-31-2012, 10:17 AM
What "recent developments, " and what legacy "issues" are you referring too?

Hopi
07-31-2012, 11:25 AM
What "recent developments, " and what legacy "issues" are you referring too?

Seems to be a difference in philosophy within the org regarding the strategy for success going forward. Involves certain parties bedding down with known obstructionists against the generally understood best interests of the activist movement.

taperxz
07-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Seems to be a difference in philosophy within the org regarding the strategy for success going forward. Involves certain parties bedding down with known obstructionists against the generally understood best interests of the activist movement.

If you talking about Oak and Kes, none of us know the details of their current disagreements. I would bet the truths to remain incognito between them.

I would suspect the board would handle things privately also. JMO

Hopi
07-31-2012, 11:40 AM
If you talking about Oak and Kes, none of us know the details of their current disagreements. I would bet the truths to remain incognito between them.

I would suspect the board would handle things privately also. JMO

If you've been paying attention over the last few years, it's pretty clear that MANY people know what the real issues are. They just aren't as public because certain parties have, unfortunately, control over the dialogue.

I'm just curious if there is a formal internal process for a 'value' or 'product output' auditing of 'leadership'. The questions have been asked many times;
"why is X on the board?"
"what value does X bring to CGF?"
"Does X's influence corrupt the efforts to bring positive change to the civil rights fight?"

I haven't a problem with CGF success', nor the true leadership of the org....but Hawk1 brought up an interesting point last year.

taperxz
07-31-2012, 11:49 AM
If you've been paying attention over the last few years, it's pretty clear that MANY people know what the real issues are. They just aren't as public because certain parties have, unfortunately, control over the dialogue.

I'm just curious if there is a formal internal process for a 'value' or 'product output' auditing of 'leadership'. The questions have been asked many times;
"why is X on the board?"
"what value does X bring to CGF?"
"Does X's influence corrupt the efforts to bring positive change to the civil rights fight?"

I haven't a problem with CGF success', nor the true leadership of the org....but Hawk1 brought up an interesting point last year.

CGF is a private entity. I seriously doubt anyone knows what really goes on except those on the board. CGN would not be a great source for intel on decisions within CGF

Hopi
07-31-2012, 11:57 AM
CGF is a private entity. I seriously doubt anyone knows what really goes on except those on the board. CGN would not be a great source for intel on decisions within CGF

Nobody is omnipotent, nor are people equally ignorant.

Of course it's a private entity, otherwise the tenure, appointments, and removal of officers would be transparent. I'm not asking for complete transparency in officer politics, but I'm curious about processes for officer accountability.

They could be life appointments, they could be temp positions, they could be metrics or value-based roles.....do you know?

Point remains.....

Still curious about the tenure of the Director positions.

ptoguy2002
07-31-2012, 11:58 AM
You are not a member of CGF. The directors report to nobody, and have no obligations to any donors or anybody else at all.
If you like what CGF does, donate money. If you don't, then don't. Your donations don't buy you a membership, or any right to know what they do behind closed doors. But to answer your question, I don't know.
And if you are referring to differences among the CGF board members with regard to what to do about CRPA, what difference does that make to CGF's mission? Who cares? CRPA is a totally different issue that shouldn't be confused with anything that CGF does.

Hopi
07-31-2012, 11:59 AM
You are not a member of CGF. The directors report to nobody, and have no obligations to any voting members or anybody else at all.

Right. So I guess you don't have any idea? Weird that you would post in this thread.

taperxz
07-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Nobody is omnipotent, nor are people equally ignorant.

Of course it's a private entity, otherwise the tenure, appointments, and removal of officers would be transparent. I'm not asking for complete transparency in officer politics, but I'm curious about processes for officer accountability.

They could be life appointments, they could be temp positions, they could be metrics or value-based roles.....do you know?

Point remains.....

Still curious about the tenure of the Director positions.

Yes, I do know. They serve at the pleasure of the majority or better vote of the members

Hopi
07-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Yes, I do know. They serve at the pleasure of the majority or better vote of the members

Ah. So it takes 5 votes minimum to remove or add a Director. That makes sense if accurate.

Thank you.

ptoguy2002
07-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Right. So I guess you don't have any idea? Weird that you would post in this thread.
Correct, I don't have any idea, I'm not involved at all, and shouldn't have posted. To explain why I did post, I'll summarize: Answer is obvious, stupid question. Next.

taperxz
07-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Ah. So it takes 5 votes minimum to remove or add a Director. That makes sense if accurate.

Thank you.

It depends on the bylaws of the corporation and how they were written. There may be more than 9 votes. Each member may have a certain amount of shares/votes in the org. Gene may have 5 while another member only has two. It really all depends on the structure of the corp.

Something we may never know because they are a private entity.

Hopi
07-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Correct, I don't have any idea, I'm not involved at all. To explain why I'm posting in this thread, I'll summarize: Stupid question. Next.

Thanks princess.

Hopi
07-31-2012, 12:17 PM
It depends on the bylaws of the corporation and how they were written. There may be more than 9 votes. Each member may have a certain amount of shares/votes in the org. Gene may have 5 while another member only has two. It really all depends on the structure of the corp.

Yeah, that makes sense....I suppose the 'weight' of each vote would imply an accountability of value, if that's how it's done.

Something we may never know because they are a private entity.

Especially if it is never asked in public.

hoffmang
07-31-2012, 12:20 PM
CGF is a board run organization. You can be a member but not in the California Corporations Code sense of the term member.

The board is one person, one vote and the members serve at the pleasure of the majority of the board of directors.

From time to time, we review the board membership for attendance, effort, and value and as some people are aware we've made changes over time. Right now, we're very focused on executing our strategy and making our operations better.

At our last meeting we discussed continuing to review our own bylaws and with that we may or may not start a board composition conversation.

What I can tell you is that new board membership is generally driven more by certain Californian's standing out from the crowd in their volunteer efforts and less from concern about existing board members - with one very well known exception.

One does not create the level of successful and dedicated people around one table without bringing some disagreements to that table. I fully respect some of the concerns bandied about in a veiled way above, but some of those issues may take care of themselves. There is certainly no lack of discussion of them.

Finally though - CRPA issues are wholly and fully outside of the official realm of CGF and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

-Gene

taperxz
07-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Yeah, that makes sense....I suppose the 'weight' of each vote would imply an accountability of value, if that's how it's done.

What your asking is about as personal as you asking me about my company and it's structure. Since they are a corp. You could research and find out though.

ptoguy2002
07-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Some things are best handled in private, and a united front presented to the public. This is one of them.

Hopi
07-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Thank you very much Gene!

CGF is a board run organization. You can be a member but not in the California Corporations Code sense of the term member.

The board is one person, one vote and the members serve at the pleasure of the majority of the board of directors.

From time to time, we review the board membership for attendance, effort, and value and as some people are aware we've made changes over time. Right now, we're very focused on executing our strategy and making our operations better.

At our last meeting we discussed continuing to review our own bylaws and with that we may or may not start a board composition conversation.

What I can tell you is that new board membership is generally driven more by certain Californian's standing out from the crowd in their volunteer efforts and less from concern about existing board members - with one very well known exception.

One does not create the level of successful and dedicated people around one table without bringing some disagreements to that table. I fully respect some of the concerns bandied about in a veiled way above, but some of those issues may take care of themselves. There is certainly no lack of discussion of them.

Finally though - CRPA issues are wholly and fully outside of the official realm of CGF and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

-Gene

Hopi
07-31-2012, 12:25 PM
Some things are best handled in private, and a united front presented to the public. This is one of them.

Glutton for punishment?

You'd be right, except the Chairman just came and answered the questions in a professional, comprehensive, and public manner. Weird.

taperxz
07-31-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks Gene. I assume 501c3. Is a bit different than a standard s corp.

Librarian
07-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Asked and answered by the CGF Chair.