PDA

View Full Version : Buy a nice gun or buy a lot of guns?

JackRydden224
07-31-2012, 9:12 AM
What's your philosophy when it comes to buying guns?

Let's say you got a $2000 tax return do you look for the nicest gun you can buy for the money or do you look to buy multiple guns and accessories?

A-J
07-31-2012, 9:29 AM
Depends, do you want one really nice gun that shoots great or do you want a bunch of guns that shoot good? I own both ends of the spectrum from Kimber to Ruger and enjoy each of them for what they are.

Supertac916
07-31-2012, 9:31 AM
Depends.. If you already have multiple guns and don't have time to shoot them. I would go with the nicest gun.

If I was just starting out and only had a few guns in my collection I'd buy multiple guns.

Do you want a few reliable Honda's or would you rather have the Porche 911 Turbo? Daily driver (Carry guns) or something you could admire the finish, performance, and craftsmanship (Nice guns).

There's no right or wrong answer, but personal preference. I prefer the nicer guns because I don't have any excuses and can't blame the gun:)

Sgt. J Beezy
07-31-2012, 9:32 AM
One of my philosophies to life js Quality over quantity... unless stockpiling for various reasons...

Get Some!!!

bellts
07-31-2012, 9:32 AM
I would go with multiple guns. But it depends on your needs. I for one think that more firepower always tops one nice weapon. They all shoot "nice" bullets.

Cowboy T
07-31-2012, 9:36 AM
You don't need to spend $2000 on a gun that shoots really well. Savage bolt-actions are known for their precise shooting, as are Remington 700's. Heck, even some Russian Mosin-Nagant M91/30's are sub-MOA with factory ammo. Got a buddy whose Remington 700's and Remington 7 (a short .308) will all do 1/3 MOA.

Unless you're the late Butch Fisher, the shooter is going to be the weak link anyway. There are very few guns in this world whose shooters can do better than the gun's capable of doing. If you're really one of those few shooters who can outshoot a Savage Model 10 with a good handload, then go for the $2,000 gun. If you wonder if that's the case, then it isn't.

victorr
07-31-2012, 9:50 AM
I started with the "buy a lot of guns" mentality but slowly started thinning out the herd and upgrading to nicer pieces. I now favor a much smaller collection with nice pieces.

Fishslayer
07-31-2012, 9:53 AM
Depends on your present inventory. Got everything you "need?" Go for something nice.

finyllw
07-31-2012, 11:04 AM
I bought a "cheap" 9mm. within two years it broke and i could not get parts to fix it. The company went tits up.

Best advice would be buy the best you can afford. You only have two hands so you only really need two pistols(LOL).

Merc1138
07-31-2012, 11:08 AM
If I got a $2000 tax return, the first thing I'd do is adjust my withholding so next year I would be getting less. No point in giving the government an interest free loan if you don't have to.

Then since I have $2000 of my own money back that I happened to give someone an interest free loan on, I'd consider spending it. You could get a bunch of mosins, or you could get a really nice bolt action and glass for it. You could get a bunch of hi points, or you could get a nice handgun and ammo. Maybe a reloading setup to feed the guns you already have?

Vacaville
07-31-2012, 11:12 AM
I've got 7 guns that I maybe have paid $2500 for over the years - a Marlin 336, Ruger Blackhawk, Marlin 795, Taurus 85, Ruger 22/45, Mosin Nagant M44, and a Weatherby Vanguard. The Vanguard with a Nikon scope alone was about $900, so if you pull that out I probably paid around $1600 for the other six.

Now I love my guns, but if I were to start fresh - say they all got stolen and I had $2500 in hand from the insurance company; I would probably get a new Springfield Scout Squad and a new Ruger GP100. Pretty sure I'd be happy with that.

SilverTauron
07-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Fortunately, we live in a day and age where the quality difference between a $550 Glock and a $1000 Sig isn't much. Both pistols will run until the cows come home, so the money charged is a reflection of the marketable demand for the gun and not its intrinsic quality or ability to do its job.

As such, what id do;save $1000 straight up, spend $500 on the firearm and $500 on ammo. A $2000 gun is better off in the FFL's gun case if you never practice with it;at least that way it has some chance of being bought by someone who's willing and able to shoot it.

As for the "nice vs a lot" argument, after owning a lot of guns last year Im limiting myself to 5 firearms total, and if necessary id be just fine with 1 handgun and 1 rifle. You get to a certain point and a large firearm collection becomes a liability to its owner. Every new gun added is another weapon which has to be stored, maintained, cleaned, secured, and transported. If its a weapon in a different caliber, different ammo stocks have to be maintained. In states with per-gun registration fees, that cost has to be considered. On top of all that, we all only have 24 hours in a day. After you take out time for work, sleep, and other life tasks it doesn't leave a good deal of opportunity for shooting. We should also not forget about the emergency side of things;if an earthquake hits or a localized disaster happens requiring evacuation, its doubtful the Red Cross is going to make room for your 500lb gun safe on the evacuation bus, assuming it survived the initial disaster to begin with.

I will not presume to speak to the needs of others, but for my needs more than 5 would be a waste for me. There are more excellent firearms than any of us could practically afford to own and shoot in a lifetime, and as such I would rather not bother pretending that I can.

JackRydden224
07-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Some interesting points guys.

So when you look at your armory/inventory/arsenal what do you see? Quality or quantity?

1000stars
07-31-2012, 11:28 AM

Let's say you got a $2000 tax return do you look for the nicest gun you can buy for the money or do you look to buy multiple guns and accessories?

If there is a nice gun you have been eyeing for awhile go for it.

Cruznegao
07-31-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm kind of in the same boat. All my 6 guns amount to just over $1500 altogether.
But I've always been that person that does not have to have the nicest thing to have fun.
Now I'm deciding if I buy one 1911 or a Hi-point plus a .22lr rifle and a low end revolver.
I've always liked having more stuff and enjoy the different things.
For example, I could've bought a $2000 mountain bike. But I'd rather have a mountain bike, a kayak, a surfboard and a snowboard all for the same price.
Honestly, I think that 99% of the shooting is done at targets and when you really need something to defend yourself a $250 pump shotgun would be just fine.

phdo
07-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Buy more. It's easier to sell later on. Harder to sell a Springfield Professional than a Glock, in my opinion.

JackRydden224
07-31-2012, 11:53 AM
If there is a nice gun you have been eyeing for awhile go for it.

There is! The Dan Wesson Pointman 9 which would cost me about $1600 OTD with tax, SSE and all that. I've wanted a nice shiny metal gun for a while.

Buy more. It's easier to sell later on. Harder to sell a Springfield Professional than a Glock, in my opinion.

On the flip side with $1600 I can buy a RIA 1911 .45 Match ($750) and RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm ($610) and still have about $240 left for ammo or accessories. I do have to agree that cheaper guns are easier to sell. I told myself I would never build a $5000 AR because I know it's a money pit.

Legasat
07-31-2012, 12:30 PM
There is! The Dan Wesson Pointman 9 which would cost me about $1600 OTD with tax, SSE and all that. I've wanted a nice shiny metal gun for a while.

I don't think you will ever regret owning a Dan Wesson. I say, get one while you have the money. The less expensive guns can be had with much less effort.

DisturbedAle
07-31-2012, 12:36 PM

Agreed, I am in the same boat... Cheaper guns have a higher volume. Higher priced / quality are more niche.

On the flip side with $1600 I can buy a RIA 1911 .45 Match ($750) and RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm ($610) and still have about $240 left for ammo or accessories. I do have to agree that cheaper guns are easier to sell. I told myself I would never build a $5000 AR because I know it's a money pit.

I expect to see you with a new gun in a few weeks. :43:

voiceofreason
07-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Get what you WANT regardless of price.

I have a friend that owns higher end guns, but loves his Hi-Point.

If you're still learning about guns, get a variety.

If you've owned guns for a while, just get what you want. If it isn't what you want later, sell it and find what works for you.

I'd vote for Level II or IIIa body armor or rifle plates & carrier over a new gun if you already have guns.

Training if you haven't received any formal training over buying more guns without.

What's more important?
Having nicer tools and being a self taught _____
or
Having more knowledge with okay tools?

Capybara
07-31-2012, 12:57 PM
I own mostly inexpensive guns. I have an SA 1911-A1 Loaded that I probably paid about $1,100.00 in the 90s. I own a Ruger Red Label SC that given to me as a present and it probably cost the buyer $1,600.00. All of my other guns are mostly under $1,000.00 and most were under or around $500.00. For me, I like looking in my safe and saying to myself, "hmm... which caliber do I want to shoot today?"

I can see the logic in either approach. I have a CMP Service Special HRA that I love to shoot and it was $950.00. But I have my Mosin 91/30 ($99.00), my Ruger P95 ($299.00) and my Ruger SR22 ($329.00) that I like to shoot just as much. If I was buying any more guns (can't, the safe is bulging and I am not buying a bigger safe), I would lean toward quality, but if you only have a couple of guns, inexpensive guns shoot really well these days. I bought my CZ527 for around $600.00 and it is built like a Steinway and is super accurate. For me, personally, I think that engraving, gold inlay, super fancy woods are a waste of money, they are all non-functional. They look pretty but I could care less if guns look pretty, I care how they shoot.

So if you don't own many guns, I say go for variety and more ammo. If you have a lot of guns, I would buy a quality, higher end gun instead. Either way is a win-win.

sharxbyte
07-31-2012, 1:17 PM
I'd buy 1-3 bolts for my AR, a Glock 19 in 9mm, a Mossberg 500, and either a Tikka t3 (bull barrel, removable magazine) in probably .27 or .308. Any extra (not likely xD) would go towards optics and ammo.

Or I'd invest in a good mill, and reloading equipment.

bender152
07-31-2012, 1:18 PM
Buy a nice gun!

Saving up for a $500 gun is easy. However, $2k is a lot of money and it's not everyday that I can or that I want to spend that much. So if you're ready to spend it, buy a nice gun.

InGrAM
07-31-2012, 1:31 PM
I fell into the "buy a lot of sub-$1000 guns but have a huge collection" kind of gun nut. Like father like son I guess. :rolleyes:

I would love a Colt Special Combat Government in 38 super, though.

G60
07-31-2012, 1:32 PM
My philosophy is if I'm spending more money on guns than ammo, I'm doing it wrong.

chickenfried
07-31-2012, 1:52 PM
If I had it to do over again. I'd go for quality over quantity from the beginning. I love my Ruger MKII. But now I wish I had waited or not made a few purchases and used that dough towards a Colt Woodsman Match Target. Now prices are a little too crazy. Prices for top quality seems to rise faster than middle of the road. My vote splurge on a nice gun.

My #1 do over. I'd get into reloading much quicker.

the86d
07-31-2012, 1:57 PM
If you are going for protection, get "at least" a 9mm (as 9mm is most plentiful) pistol, and a rifle... even a 10/22 would be great to start with. These are some of the cheapest firearms to feed ammo to. You can put all the evil features on rimfire rifle you want, WITHOUT the bullet button...

JackRydden224
07-31-2012, 2:00 PM
My collection so far:

MK III
Steyr M9-A1 (9mm)
AR-22
Saiga in 5.45 (my current go-to HD weapon)

So I do need a .45 and a 12 gauge to say the least to complete the basic line up of plinkers - center fire weapons - shotgun.

Do you guys try to complete the basics first or do you guys just get whatever you want at the minute?

Supertac916
07-31-2012, 2:41 PM
My collection so far:

MK III
Steyr M9-A1 (9mm)
AR-22

So I do need a .45 and a 12 gauge to say the least to complete the basic line up of plinkers - center fire weapons - shotgun.

Do you guys try to complete the basics first or do you guys just get whatever you want at the minute?

I'd go with a mid-level 1911 Springfield, RIA, or Kimber, and buy yourself a Remington 870. I'd recommend to buy slightly used because most guys don't shoot their guns anyways.

That'll get you the basics for the most part, but you may want an AR, some CCW guns, bolt gun, and other necessities before you go out and buy a $2000display piece.

The guys are right that it's much more difficult to sell higher priced guns, than the Glock's, Sig's, Springfield's, etc. However, if you ever want to trade for something that's where the highend guns come into play. I don't know many guys who own Les Baers, Wilson Combats, Nighthawks, that will trade for a few Glock's. It's because they probably already have a dozen of them:)

The highend guns also tend to keep and/or increase their value more than the regular everyday guns. I've never sold any of my highend guns, but traded for other nice guns that I wanted.

Capybara
07-31-2012, 2:51 PM
I say get the guns that you really want to shoot. I always wanted an Uzi, since I was a kid so when I had the means, I bought an Uzi. As far as plinking, even though I own 13 other guns, to me, shotguns, overall, are the most fun, especially a shotgun you can shoot clays with. Doesn't have to cost a lot, but having one gun that you can hunt with, shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays and five stand is a great value. Have you shot any clay sports? I love my rifles and pistols but to me, shooting some trap and sporting clays is about as much fun as you can have with a gun in California.

You have a great .22 pistol and a decent 9mm handgun. If you like shooting handguns, a 1911 would be the logical next choice. IMHO, every avid shooter needs a 1911, even if you like plastic guns better. 1911s are their own thing and they are really fun to shoot.

I guess if I were in your shoes, I would be looking at a clays shotgun and a 1911. Defense shotguns are totally cool but in reality, unless you have a shoot house or something you can practice at, they are kind of boring, a one trick pony. I don't recommend trying to get a shotgun with different barrel sets where it can be an HD gun and a clays/hunting gun but some do that. But that's just me, get whatever tickles your fancy. I much prefer O/U shotguns for clays and hunting, I like the simplicity, reliability and the fact that they are stupid easy to clean.

NYT
07-31-2012, 3:17 PM
quality over quantity every dang time. leave the cheap guns for the gang bangers. that way they have an added disadvantage... well that, mental retardation and shooting sideways...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Supertac916
07-31-2012, 3:29 PM

So when you look at your armory/inventory/arsenal what do you see? Quality or quantity?

I always go for quality, but that being said I own Glocks, Sigs, Springfields, Kimbers, Les Baers, Rugers, S&Ws, Walthers, etc. It needs to go bang everytime and if I can't fix it, then it's traded or sold.

Handguns range from the cheapest Walther P22 to my LB Supertac.

Rifles range from the good ole Remington bolt .22 my grandpa gave me to a Custom Springfield M1A that if I built it today would be $4,000. (Bought it used with only 40 rds through it 10 years ago for $1,600) BUY HIGH END GUNS USED!!! They're like buying a Ferrari because they're rarely taken out and used to their potential, but you don't have to pay the initial hit of driving them off the lot.

Shotguns go from a Mossberg to a Benelli for HD purposes.

Not much of a clay shooter, so I only have a Winchester pump, Remington 870, and a Browning Gold Hunter.

Once you collect the basics you start adjusting to your own personal likes. I recently sold 6 handguns to upgrade some of my rifles and decided to trick out a few of my AR's and my AR10.

This hobby never ends and your tastes will change, just buy quality guns and you can never go wrong. Reminds me of baseball cards when I was a kid...lol

TurboChrisB
07-31-2012, 3:34 PM
I've always been a "quantity over quality" kind of collector. I've been picking up guns for years, but usually bought used or firearms on the lower end of the price spectrum ($500 to $1000ish) Now that I've got just about everything I've ever wanted...I've noticed my tastes are changing. Now I'm starting to look at "nicer" weapons. For example, I have RIA and Llama 1911's. But now I'm lusting after a TRP. I'm thinking it's somewhat of a natural progression...since I've satisfied the "short list" now I'm going after the more exclusive stuff.

Bobby Ricigliano
07-31-2012, 4:20 PM
$2000= A good carbine, a good pistol, magazines, ammo, and range time.

Money left over? More ammo.

Oceanbob
07-31-2012, 4:33 PM
Let me take you off track a bit...

$2000 SPENDABLE CASH.

!. Get a Dillion 550B set up with dies for 9MM and .45. You can add more later. Get the components you need to save money on reloading. This will open a whole new world to you.

2. Use the change to get a Glock 21SF in .45 or another 9 of your choice.

3. Perhaps a stripped lower for the future (AR Platform). Kind of fun building up an AR out of parts.

My collection so far:

MK III
Steyr M9-A1 (9mm)
AR-22

GREASY357
07-31-2012, 4:35 PM
I'm kind of a 1 of everything kind of guy. 1 revolver (686), 1 semiauto (g23c), 1 long range bolt (r700), 1 iron sight rifle (mosin), 1 semiauto close range rifle (ar build just started), and 1 shotgun (yet to buy). if i got $2000 I would finish my AR, buy a shotgun for trap, and put the rest into reloading supplies. I never want to have a ton of guns and have most of them just sitting in a safe.

bsg
07-31-2012, 4:42 PM

i see what i believe to be quality. quantity wise, i have a short list.

frankm
07-31-2012, 4:42 PM
I started with the "buy a lot of guns" mentality but slowly started thinning out the herd and upgrading to nicer pieces. I now favor a much smaller collection with nice pieces.

That's been my philosophy recently too. I'd rather have 3 nice guns than 12 beaters.

orangeusa
07-31-2012, 4:50 PM
Every gun I bought that I kept, has been one that I shoot well with, love the looks of and feel comfortable with.

I've done both - high end and low end. Long, planned out purchases, and impulse buys.
I've paid up for some wheelguns, sold some, kept the 686 and a Colt 45LC clone.
I've paid up for some semi-autos, sold some, kept the stainless ones (Inox) and the ones I shoot well with.

One tiny suggestion - if you are looking for a .45 ACP and don't mind DA/SA, try to find a used Ruger P90. I bought one NIB (they are now discontinued) and good gosh, I love that gun, I shoot as well with it as any 1911 I've ever shot. (1911 guys - I love ya, but they don't do much for me).

And for more free advice, I'd go for an older S&W - maybe a 66 instead of the Dan Wesson.

You really have a GOOD problem....

BTW - (to OP) The HiPower you shot has been transformed. You would not even recognize it - the trigger is awesome w/o the mag disconnect, and the grips are now Hogue extremes.

My collection so far:

MK III
Steyr M9-A1 (9mm)
AR-22

driveljay
07-31-2012, 4:52 PM
Go to a gun auction...and have fun. Look at the lots and pick what you like...high end or not. Then enjoy the thrill of trying to win the lots you wanted. I sold a springfield omega 10 and turned that into a remy 700 vtr, a sig 226 e2 and a beretta neos at an auction. (oh, and like 4 beers too,lol). You may come out with that one nice one or multiple good ones

frankm
07-31-2012, 4:53 PM
My collection so far:

MK III
Steyr M9-A1 (9mm)
AR-22

I'd get the shotgun, then reevaluate where you are at.

orangeusa
07-31-2012, 4:54 PM
I believe OP might be near OC, Little Johns has gun auctions quarterly....

Go to a gun auction...and have fun. Look at the lots and pick what you like...high end or not. Then enjoy the thrill of trying to win the lots you wanted. I sold a springfield omega 10 and turned that into a remy 700 vtr, a sig 226 e2 and a beretta neos at an auction. (oh, and like 4 beers too,lol). You may come out with that one nice one or multiple good ones

DuknBucks
07-31-2012, 5:07 PM
Depends, do you want one really nice gun that shoots great or do you want a bunch of guns that shoot good? I own both ends of the spectrum from Kimber to Ruger and enjoy each of them for what they are.

I personally feel Ruger is a dam fine firearm.......I own several and definitely wouldnt consider them on the low end of my collections ....LOL :cool2:

I have spent $1200 on one and $75 on another....:D

dont bring out the Bryco derringer very often ......;)

Bangzoom
07-31-2012, 5:18 PM

thats not enough for the "Nice gun" on my wish list

Bruceisontarget
07-31-2012, 5:40 PM
Lots of good opinions here. My philosophy anymore is that guns hold their value better than cash. You have cash in the bank, you're losing value. You have guns in the safe, and your wealth is more secure. That being said... $2000? I'd get a Saiga 12 and convert it to original configuration, complying with all the 922R restrictions of course. Any money left over would be spent on AR15 lower and lots of ammo.

Beetle Bailey
07-31-2012, 7:58 PM
My opinion? Get a Les Baer.

mexicancolt1
07-31-2012, 8:13 PM
I would stick with quality hand guns. Stay away from the cheap pistols as they will not hold value. Afterall, most collectors are also investors (at least that's what we tell our wifes). I'd buy a couple of nice 70 or 80 series Colts. But then again, I'm a Colt fan!

Thefeeder
07-31-2012, 8:21 PM
I would stick with quality hand guns. Stay away from the cheap pistols as they will not hold value. Afterall, most collectors are also investors (at least that's what we tell our wifes). I'd buy a couple of nice 70 or 80 series Colts. But then again, I'm a Colt fan!

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I do tell the wife. She is amazed at what the stuff goes for today. She bought a snake about 12 years ago for about 600.00

JohnGibson
07-31-2012, 9:54 PM
Considering buying pratical guns like M&P, XD, and Glock. Good guns that work well and you don't have to worry about scratching it. Spend the rest in practicing and ammo. Don't worry about "upgrades". The best gun is the one you have and can shoot good with. If you find yourself more into the hobbie you can get a more expensive gun. The experience is worth working up to a expensive gun.

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”

JackRydden224
07-31-2012, 10:22 PM
BTW - (to OP) The HiPower you shot has been transformed. You would not even recognize it - the trigger is awesome w/o the mag disconnect, and the grips are now Hogue extremes.

I will have to try it the next time we meet. Will you be at the August shoot?

Let me take you off track a bit...

$2000 SPENDABLE CASH.

1. Get a Dillion 550B set up with dies for 9MM and .45. You can add more later. Get the components you need to save money on reloading. This will open a whole new world to you.

2. Use the change to get a Glock 21SF in .45 or another 9 of your choice.

3. Perhaps a stripped lower for the future (AR Platform). Kind of fun building up an AR out of parts.

A reloading setup makes sense in the long run. I do like to shoot a lot. I am partial to the 1911 platform because it's one of the few full size hand guns that I can bet my princess hands (as grandma used to call them) around.

I have thought about getting a 1911 in Gov't size for the range and a commander size for future carry purposes.

Ken, that's a bit too rich for my taste :(

We got some good opinions from both sides. I don't think anybody can go wrong with either route.

XVIga_Rob
07-31-2012, 11:00 PM

I did the same. However, "nice pieces" is in the eye of the purchaser/owner. I can't, but if you can afford it, there are some REALY NICE PIECES out there (some custom shotguns cost more than most cars & some houses).

crackerman
08-01-2012, 11:31 AM
I have changed over time to some extent.

I have all sub-550 stuff that allows me to defend, take classes, and since I started to hunt, kill anything that floats, walks or flys. heck my hunting rifle is a big 5 savage special that was sub $400. The nice thing about that one specifically is that the upgrade path of new stock, trigger, and scope down the road can be ammortized over my hunting life. I will have that barreled action until I pass it down to my kid, one of the main reasons I got it in .30-06. Buy classic and it never goes out of style.

Now that I have the basics covered for life, my new goal is a Beretta Silver pigeon. My sights are moderate and I want a grade 1 to be able to hunt with but still be pretty in the clays rack. To that end I have a Beretta 3901, I have my dream name plate and I was willing to pay more than my normal limit.

Get what you need and then find your dream.

Markus
08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Starting out shooting only a couple years ago I went with the more guns philosophy. Sadly I dont make that much money so I try and get as much gun for my money as possible. I have since gotten really into C&R weapons like my M-44 or my CZ-82(which made me buy a CZ-75 which I love. Ive gotten all my guns used and have been happy with all their performances so far. Only one I dont really love at the moment is my Yugo 24/47 it just doesnt thump like my M-44....

JackRydden224
08-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Starting out shooting only a couple years ago I went with the more guns philosophy. Sadly I dont make that much money so I try and get as much gun for my money as possible. I have since gotten really into C&R weapons like my M-44 or my CZ-82(which made me buy a CZ-75 which I love. Ive gotten all my guns used and have been happy with all their performances so far. Only one I dont really love at the moment is my Yugo 24/47 it just doesnt thump like my M-44....

That's the dilemma we all run into. I got more guns I want then money to spend. I'm trying to save up for a house down payment so I really can't splurge. I'm leaning towards buying a nice gun. The reason being once I have a mortgage it'll be that much harder to convince myself to spend $1600 on a handgun.

Btw if you don't like the Yugo 24/47 I'd love to try it and take it off of your hands :D

duster1974
08-01-2012, 12:14 PM
If I got a $2000 tax return, the first thing I'd do is adjust my withholding so next year I would be getting less. No point in giving the government an interest free loan if you don't have to.

^ This ^

JackRydden224
08-01-2012, 12:39 PM
^ This ^

Just for the record my tax return was no where near $2000. I have minimum withholding just to make sure that I don't owe the IRS any money. If I get $2000 back with my current filing status I think I would be making twice as much and be buying quality guns with quantity lol.

tbc
08-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Buy a LOT of NICE guns. :D

Sent from my iPhone

XVIga_Rob
08-01-2012, 1:30 PM
Buy a nice, quality gun. It does not have to be overly expensive. Don't be affraid to look at a used gun. There are a LOT of very nice, quality, used guns out there. I've bought a few. :D

polo.45
08-01-2012, 1:44 PM
Get any Rifle for $1000 and Any Handgun for $1000...

Beetle Bailey
08-01-2012, 9:54 PM
I will have to try it the next time we meet. Will you be at the August shoot?

A reloading setup makes sense in the long run. I do like to shoot a lot. I am partial to the 1911 platform because it's one of the few full size hand guns that I can bet my princess hands (as grandma used to call them) around.

I have thought about getting a 1911 in Gov't size for the range and a commander size for future carry purposes.

Ken, that's a bit too rich for my taste :(

We got some good opinions from both sides. I don't think anybody can go wrong with either route.

My Les Baer Custom Carry was $1700 plus a transfer fee a couple of years ago so it should fall just within your budget. Check with www.sportingarms.com or www.cj1911heaven.com and call them for a price quote. It will be less than the price of one sitting in a local shop.

Dunno when I will be able to make it to another shoot in the OC but if/when I do, you can certainly try out my CC if that will help you decide.

BTW, while I think you should go with a Baer, you can also get a couple of good workhorse type guns for your money that can give you decades of service like a Glock 17, Remington 870, CZ 452, etc. Either way, good luck!

SunkenShadow
08-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Depends on your mentality and what you want. I have a collector's mentality and a shooter's mentality, arguably collector before shooter, but I refuse to have guns in my collection that are unshot!

I'm currently sitting on 7 guns, working on an 8th on guns that I want/like/use. I'm gonna start doing historical guns real soon and thats gonna be fun but it's up to you. It's always what you want. If you want to buy a quality gun, buy it, if you wanna buy a gun that you want that people wouldnt say as 'quality' then buy it....

bombadillo
08-01-2012, 10:48 PM
If you already have a pump HD shotgun, bolt action target rifle, AR-15 style rifle, AK/SKS, Bolt hunting rifle, lever action of your caliber choosing, 9mm 45acp and 22lr handguns, one revolver or more, and you're off to a good start. After you have at least one of each of those in whatever your flavor, go for quality. Until then, get a few decent guns from Glock, XD, Ruger, savage/remington rifles, marlin/henry lever guns, or other stuff. Start off with all your basics that most people would consider a need, and then get the high end stuff that you can show off to your buddies. My Colt Python I just got, a Custom Colt series 70 1911 and a few other "show off" guns are still shooters, but just added to the roster so I can play with some really nice toys.

Buddhabelly
08-01-2012, 11:32 PM

Quality in quantity. ;)

Mendo223
08-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Quality quality quality.

My friend went the cheap route, i splurged. I dont even want toshoot some of his guns...he got an sks and 380..i got ar15 and glock...guess which shoots better

My next 2k isgonna be 1000 on a valkyrie ak47, 500 on a complete ar15 lower, and 500 on ammo...well more like 1k on ammo but my budgetsa little more

Mendo223
08-01-2012, 11:40 PM
My kimber tactical le is my favorite handgun...1300 bucks

But rock river has a decent 1911 for only 600...depends on much mooolah you got!

$nake-Eye$
08-02-2012, 12:02 AM
$2000 burning a hole in my pocket?

I'd get a decent AR-15, some nice Magpul furniture, some decent optics and the rest in rifle ammo.

That's just me...

SE :D

ChaneRZ
08-02-2012, 1:07 AM
I'd buy a nice gun!

sixoclockhold
08-02-2012, 4:03 AM
Any gun that last decades while doing its job is a "Nice" gun. I'll be damned if I ever sell or replace my under $100 Stevens 1957 311E SxS 12 ga., recently I refinished the stock and it's still a nice gun....PULL !

I wouldn't pay $1000, $1,500 or even $2,000 for the crap made today, same crap they made 60 years ago.

I think people tend to forget that there was once a time when made in the USA stood for quality. A QC guy would send something back through the line because that was his job, it was important to him or her to have the best product when completed. Today you may feel all good about paying top dollar for something that you think is really really nice and it probably is but you can bet 40% of that cost is Advertising, Plush Corporate offices, undeserving salaries and season tickets to the Lakers. So Corporate America would like to Thank You.

Rekrab
08-02-2012, 4:24 AM
My Les Baer Custom Carry was $1700 plus a transfer fee a couple of years ago so it should fall just within your budget. Check with www.sportingarms.com or www.cj1911heaven.com and call them for a price quote. It will be less than the price of one sitting in a local shop.

Dunno when I will be able to make it to another shoot in the OC but if/when I do, you can certainly try out my CC if that will help you decide.

BTW, while I think you should go with a Baer, you can also get a couple of good workhorse type guns for your money that can give you decades of service like a Glock 17, Remington 870, CZ 452, etc. Either way, good luck!

Did I show you my Magnum Research 1911 the last time you were at the OC shoot? If not, I need to. I think the quality is just about up there with the LBs but I haven't had one to compare it to since I bought it. At less than half the price, it's really, really nice.

JackRydden224
08-02-2012, 8:33 AM
Did I show you my Magnum Research 1911 the last time you were at the OC shoot? If not, I need to. I think the quality is just about up there with the LBs but I haven't had one to compare it to since I bought it. At less than half the price, it's really, really nice.

Rekrab now that I looked at your arsenal it seems like you go for quantity with a few nice pieces among them.

kengotit
08-02-2012, 8:47 AM

Im in the same boat,

Deciding between a Les Baer TRS or DDm4 in 300blackout and kimber TLE

Trakker
08-02-2012, 9:15 PM
I buy to shoot
I also appreciate quality craftsmanship.

NorCal Einstein
08-02-2012, 10:38 PM
I was in this position at the beginning of this year. Buy many, or buy 1 (Baer 1911).

I don't have a collection and I don't have a gun from each category (semi centerfire, bolt, shotgun), but I still decided to spend it all on a single gun. I weighed it out, and another pistol would get more use than anything else. I'm definitely a quality over quantity believer as well. I'd rather build out a nice collection over a longer period of time, than have a safe full of cheap stuff.