PDA

View Full Version : Legal question: red dot on an inline muzzle-loader considered primitive?

Whiterabbit
07-31-2012, 8:46 AM
Hi guys,

Please no commentary on inlines in general and especially their relationship to primitive weapons including red dot use.

I've heard it already, I know it, and I agree with you!

This is a question about California state regulations with respect to muzzleloader-only hunting. I know magnified optics are not allowed, but what about 1x-only scopes and powered red dots? Looks like the regs say it's OK (or more specifically doesn't say it's NOT ok).

Look about right to you too?

Looks like it DOES say it's not OK. open or peep sights ONLY.

Important to make sure the regs are "general" and not specific to specific hunts. That helps. :o

taperxz
07-31-2012, 9:05 AM
Hi guys,

Please no commentary on inlines in general and especially their relationship to primitive weapons including red dot use.

I've heard it already, I know it, and I agree with you!

This is a question about California state regulations with respect to muzzleloader-only hunting. I know magnified optics are not allowed, but what about 1x-only scopes and powered red dots? Looks like the regs say it's OK (or more specifically doesn't say it's NOT ok).

Look about right to you too?

Tough call. The law only tells you what's illegal. Not so sure I would venture in that direction since the unit is powered and almost any typed of glass could give some type of magnification. Theoretically. JMO

Whiterabbit
07-31-2012, 9:20 AM
Thanks taper. I appreciate the input. Looks like it's a no-go there.

capnemo
07-31-2012, 10:01 AM
I am pretty certain I read somewhere that with an optometrist's note stating you have deficient/aging eyesight, that a red dot is allowed on muzzle loaders. I think an open
style (Burris Fastfire ll) type would appear more "legal" as it would not be mistaken for a
magnified scope.

tony270
07-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Here is it capnemo:
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#353
(f) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading rifle only tag, hunters may only possess muzzleloading rifles as described in subsection 353(a) equipped with open or "peep" type sights only except as describled in subsection 353(k).
(g) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading rifle/archery tag, hunters may only possess muzzleloading rifles with sights as described in subsection 353(f); archery equipment as described in Section 354; or both. For purposes of this subsection, archery equipment does not include crossbows, except as provided in subsection 354(j).
(i) Except as otherwise provided, while taking or attempting to take big game under the provisions of Section 353 or Section 354, Title 14, CCR, it is unlawful to use any device or devices which: 1) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal; or 2) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal. Devices commonly referred to as "sniperscopes", night vision scopes or binoculars, or those utilizing infra-red, heat sensing or other non-visible spectrum light technology used for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal or providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal are prohibited and may not be possessed while taking or attempting to take big game. Devices commonly referred to as laser rangefinders, “red-dot” scopes with self-illuminating reticles, and fiberoptic sights with self-illuminating sight or pins which do not throw, cast or project a visible light onto an animal are permitted.
(j) Unless provided in these regulations or any other law, it is unlawful to possess a loaded muzzleloading firearm in any vehicle or conveyance or its attachments which is standing on or along or is being driven on or along any public road or highway or other way open to the public. For the purposes of this section, a muzzleloading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed or has an electronic or other ignition device attached and has a powder charge and projectile or shot in the barrel or cylinder.

(k)Upon application to the department, the department may issue a Disabled Muzzleloader Scope Permit, free of any charge or fee, to any person with a physical disability, as defined in 353(l), which prevents him/her from being able to focus on the target utilizing muzzleloading rifles equipped with open or “peep” sights. The Disabled Muzzleloader Scope Permit authorizes the disabled hunter to use a 1X scope on a muzzleloading rifle, as described in subsection 353(f), with a muzzleloading rifle only tag.

I am pretty certain I read somewhere that with an optometrist's note stating you have deficient/aging eyesight, that a red dot is allowed on muzzle loaders. I think an open
style (Burris Fastfire ll) type would appear more "legal" as it would not be mistaken for a
magnified scope.