PDA

View Full Version : Do Americans Know the Difference Between Cause and Effect These Days???

Josh Smith
07-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Hello,

I don't watch much TV. Reason being I get tired of sorting through all the stupid crap for the few gold nuggets. It seems quite dumbed down.

One of the few shows I tolerate is Modern Marvels. They tend to get things right, more or less.

Was watching the latest one, "Mega Weapons" or something similar.

Before Number 1 on the countdown, there was a commercial break. The announcer said, "Coming up, number one on our list, a weapon that caused one of the most infamous crimes in history" or something very close to that. The word "caused" was used. It's what got my undivided attention.

After skipping through the commercials on the DVR, it turns out the weapon in question was the handgun. They had changed "caused" to "used to commit". That I can accept. The crime was Lincoln's assassination.

They also mentioned in the beginning of the "Number 1" segment that "like it or not, handguns are a large part of American culture," or similar. It seemed pro-gun overall with responsible gun handling and just an overall positive note. (ie, guns are used by criminals, but also by the good guys, etc.)

Anyway, it got me to wondering if folks are really taking the time to notice the differences between causes, tools, and effects, and that only actions, not objects, tend to be causes.

This just irritates me.

Josh

P.S. They also went into an in-depth explanation of rifling, but then talked about how the ball used in Booth's derringer was sub-caliber and therefore bounced around in the barrel, which would allow it to go any which way, and that's why Booth had to be close to Lincoln. They would have been right had they been talking a smoothbore, but they clearly depicted a rifled bore. Ideally there would have been a patch there. Idiots! Arrrrrgh!

greasemonkey
07-31-2012, 12:42 AM
Your assertion is correct. Very few young people (at least late 20's & under) seem to lack cause-effect, if-then reasoning.

phdo
07-31-2012, 1:16 AM
I am in my late twenties and I absolutely despise my generation. To think of what society and art used to be, then come to the realization that it will never come into being again, irritates me. I hate all the stupid crap you see on TV nowadays. For example, the Kardashians, Jersey Shore, etc. I can't stand watching fifteen minutes of that bull****. Sometimes I think I'm born in the wrong generation. Society IS very dumbed down now. Imagine the music from ten or twenty years ago and compare it to the music on the radio now. How things have change. Other things I hate, Facebook and Twitter!! I don't understand the urge to constantly document and broadcast every single event or task in your day for the world to know. Makes no sense to me. I refuse to use social medias. It destroys the fabric of human relationships. Why must I go online to send a message to someone, then have to wait for their response just to ask how they're doing? Don't get me started on the whole "i" ideas, iPhones, iTunes, "i" this, "i" that. Everything is so personalized now. Don't get me wrong, I love the iPhone. I use it everyday but I don't let it dictate my life. I don't let it get in the way with relationships with the people in my life that I care and love. Some of my friends are constantly looking at their phones every couple of minutes looking for new notifications or emails or whatnot. Why let a device dictate your life? Argh!! Rant over. Carry on.

m98
07-31-2012, 2:12 AM
agreed 100%^^^^ with wut said above. The collaspse of our society. this is the same as training the sheeples to dial 911 when their lives are in immediate danger. (let someone come to the aid and be loyal to ur smartphone bcuz bookface' is the way of life)

BACKTOSHOOTING
07-31-2012, 7:04 AM
I am in my late twenties and I absolutely despise my generation. To think of what society and art used to be, then come to the realization that it will never come into being again, irritates me. I hate all the stupid crap you see on TV nowadays. For example, the Kardashians, Jersey Shore, etc. I can't stand watching fifteen minutes of that bull****. Sometimes I think I'm born in the wrong generation. Society IS very dumbed down now. Imagine the music from ten or twenty years ago and compare it to the music on the radio now. How things have change. Other things I hate, Facebook and Twitter!! I don't understand the urge to constantly document and broadcast every single event or task in your day for the world to know. Makes no sense to me. I refuse to use social medias. It destroys the fabric of human relationships. Why must I go online to send a message to someone, then have to wait for their response just to ask how they're doing? Don't get me started on the whole "i" ideas, iPhones, iTunes, "i" this, "i" that. Everything is so personalized now. Don't get me wrong, I love the iPhone. I use it everyday but I don't let it dictate my life. I don't let it get in the way with relationships with the people in my life that I care and love. Some of my friends are constantly looking at their phones every couple of minutes looking for new notifications or emails or whatnot. Why let a device dictate your life? Argh!! Rant over. Carry on.

This gives me hope :)

xtra870
07-31-2012, 4:48 PM
I can not stand any of that reality tv BS. The only thing i can stand to watch is Man Vs Food, the history channel, and hunting channel.

Capybara
07-31-2012, 5:15 PM
Anyone who is an anti obviously has no understanding of cause and effect. That's what is so frustrating about the anti gun movement, you can't use logic and fact against people who base their anti-gun religion on pure emotion.