PDA

View Full Version : Junior or Women's shotgun options

Nozzano22
07-30-2012, 8:21 PM
Hello all,

I am a regular poster in the reloading forum but need some education on womens shotguns.

My wife and I have just joined a gun club (Ukiah) that has 2 nice trap fields and she is interested in shooting trap. I stopped by our local gun store and they showed me a few models but not much information from them.

So here are the details; we are in our 40's, my wife is 5'2" and 125lbs so a rather petite build.

We looked at a Remington 870 junior model in 20 gauge with a 21" barrel and removable choke tubes. Would this do OK at all for just fun trap shooting from the closest positions or is it just not up to the task?

Thanks

Mike

WDE91
07-30-2012, 8:25 PM
20gauge autoloader that is fitted correctly would be my vote

wjc
07-30-2012, 8:45 PM
You might want to look at Beretta shotguns as well. They're pretty light.

Thefeeder
07-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Mike,

The best approch is to spend time at the range and get to know some shooters, they will be your best avenue for information and also to get some try time on different shotguns.

I would stongly recommend a beginner lesson with an instuctor to get her started with a good stance, gun mount and a simple gun fitting. The money spent for one lesson will pay big dividends as far as felt recoil, fustration levels and loss of interest.

After you have stance, mount, basic fit....then you can make a better decision on what works for her. The worst thing to do is put a shotgun up to her shoulder and launch a target.....gun goes off, gives her a good kick and bust in the chops and that will last shell she will want to fire

Give a novice a good start...and it will be fun

ysr_racer
07-31-2012, 4:50 AM
We looked at a Remington 870 junior model in 20 gauge with a 21" barrel and removable choke tubes. Would this do OK at all for just fun trap shooting from the closest positions or is it just not up to the task?

Thanks

Mike

That will be fine, as will a Rem 1100 20ga youth model.

As suggested a lesson would help too.

high_revs
07-31-2012, 7:21 AM
my research shows browning silver midas micro (12" lop). comes with 2 extra chokes. my research also included the beretta al391 urika youth. the lop is a little longer though from what i read.

i noticed that field shotguns have shorter LOP though over their trap equivalent. so if you want to go shorter, you may have to go to a field model.

someone can correct me here.. but can break-action actually be shorter LOP on a regular basis for field? i looked only at semi due to softer recoil.