PDA

View Full Version : dumb question, are you allowed to use slings at ranges?

gant
07-30-2012, 7:54 PM
i dont think ive seen anyone walk around the range using a sling or even having one attached, i dont see no rules about using a sling, most ranges do have rules against holstering a pistol

Dantedamean
07-30-2012, 7:57 PM
Don't know about every range but I use mine occasionally at burro canyon, and they never say anything.

wjc
07-30-2012, 8:09 PM
I use the sling to shoot with when I'm at LARG. Bolt action and M1A.

I've never had an RSO say anything about it.

Walking with a slinged rifle may be different. I suppose if the muzzle is up your ok but I'd check with an RSO first.

slam128
07-30-2012, 8:14 PM
Yes. I've asked the range coordinator specifically if I can use my sling on an AR and he said YES. (@Angeles Range)

Bigtwin
07-30-2012, 8:37 PM
i dont think ive seen anyone walk around the range using a sling or even having one attached, i dont see no rules about using a sling, most ranges do have rules against holstering a pistol

Depends on the range. Ask and you shall see! Being that you too live in Solano county...the range I am a member of(YSA) it is not an issue. I have used a sling on many rifles there. Yes, YSA does not allow holsters for pistols though.

SunkenShadow
07-30-2012, 8:43 PM
I've done it when it was windier or I just didn't like how there were a load of people. Only did it realistically around the area I was shooting anyway and never got a complaint from a RSO cause muzzle was up and bolt was open.

Mr. Beretta
07-30-2012, 8:48 PM
All my long guns I used have slings!

Must have item IMHO.

kakinuma-kun
07-30-2012, 8:51 PM
It may depend ln the range, so just ask.

But I've never been to an outdoor range that prohibited the use of slings.

And most allow offhand shooting while standing using a sling: I only use the bench for zeroing and then shoot offhand theteafter for practice.

norcal240
07-31-2012, 2:06 AM
The barrel must be pointed down range or up the whole time at the range i go to, so no single point sling.

anymoose
07-31-2012, 2:14 AM

i dont see why there would be a rule against it. walking around nut checking yourself with an uber tactical single point, probably not ok, but a 2 point used for accuracy, dont see why there would be a problem.

Merc1138
07-31-2012, 2:15 AM
Most ranges have rules against holstering pistols, because they don't trust people to not be dumb enough to shoot themselves or someone else while drawing it.

I've never heard of a range that prohibits the use of a sling to support a rifle while shooting. That doesn't necessarily mean you can have a rifle flopping around in front of you on a single point though.

TheExiled
07-31-2012, 9:07 AM
Ive used my single pointer at Angeles, letting the rifle muzzle hang is ok if youre on the line up by the front of the benches, other than that, they like them pointed up