View Full Version : Where can I take the Hunters Safety Course?

07-30-2012, 5:16 PM
My buddies are going out rabbit hunting and I want to join along, problem is I haven't taken my safety course yet. I've already checked on the DFG site and most places around Orange have their next class on the 11th, which I am unavailable on. Does anybody know of anywhere else in a reasonable distance from Orange with a class this weekend?

07-30-2012, 5:28 PM
The DFG website is the best resource. Realize that they have a page of class listings for traditional classes and a separate page class listing for classes that require an Internet pre-study.

07-30-2012, 5:37 PM
You can also go to the DFG and take a challenge exam. It is harder than the standard Hunter Education exam but it will allow you to get a license in California. The only problem is that if you decide to go out of state to hunt and you have to produce a Hunter Ed certificate, the challenge test will not be adequate.

From the DFG website:

" DFG offers a comprehensive equivalency testing program at DFG Offices. You may request information on this method of testing from the regional offices. There is a non-refundable, administrative fee required to take the examination. If you fail the examination, you must take a hunter education class to become certified. Warning! Not all states accept the equivalency certificate as proof of hunter education. All states will accept the certificate of completion that is awarded upon completion of a hunter education class. "

07-30-2012, 7:40 PM
Go to a turners and get info in person or go to turners.com and it will have a list of dates. The class is held in corona at Mike Rahagees(spell check please) once or twice a month. Its about 6 hours or so of your life you never get back but it works.

07-31-2012, 6:02 AM
You might have already checked there, but Grant Boy's in Costa Mesa offers the class once a month.

07-31-2012, 5:44 PM
Thanks guys I ended up taking an online course and will go to On Target next Wednesday!