PDA

View Full Version : KSBW 8 President and GM Supports 2A but wants an assault weapon ban?!?

jonzer77
07-30-2012, 5:06 PM
Such contradicting statements......I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I saw this on TV last night.

"No good can come from private ownership of assault weapons. The AR-15 and the tactical shotgun used by the suspect last week are not practical weapons for hunting, personal protection, or sportsmanship. We would support reinstituting the federal assault weapons ban, which was the law of the land for a decade; and we’d continue to vigorously support the Second Amendment right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms."

Read more: http://www.ksbw.com/tv/editorials/Editorial-Revisit-assault-weapons-ban/-/7651230/15776382/-/ckokcn/-/index.html#ixzz229bkXAHQ

Video Here
http://www.ksbw.com/tv/editorials/Editorial-Revisit-assault-weapons-ban/-/7651230/15769748/-/ck57gb/-/index.html

RRangel
07-30-2012, 5:08 PM
I'm shocked. The media is biased from the top down? </sarcasm>

crackerman
07-30-2012, 7:39 PM
That's called an opinion piece and the station manger of Fox La does them too. They want feedback so pen or type a nice email and rebutt him

jonzer77
07-30-2012, 7:50 PM
That's called an opinion piece and the station manger of Fox La does them too. They want feedback so pen or type a nice email and rebutt him

I sent him a nice professional email, let's see if I get a response.

Oceanbob
07-30-2012, 8:08 PM
These speak for themselves.

http://i47.tinypic.com/fm2g4w.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2hzpc34.jpg

The Tiger
07-30-2012, 8:49 PM
Such contradicting statements......I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I saw this on TV last night.

"No good can come from private ownership of assault weapons. The AR-15 and the tactical shotgun used by the suspect last week are not practical weapons for hunting, personal protection, or sportsmanship. We would support reinstituting the federal assault weapons ban, which was the law of the land for a decade; and wed continue to vigorously support the Second Amendment right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms."

Read more: http://www.ksbw.com/tv/editorials/Editorial-Revisit-assault-weapons-ban/-/7651230/15776382/-/ckokcn/-/index.html#ixzz229bkXAHQ

Video Here
http://www.ksbw.com/tv/editorials/Editorial-Revisit-assault-weapons-ban/-/7651230/15769748/-/ck57gb/-/index.html

Tactical Shotgun?

Didn't the guy have an 870? Now they want to go after a pump shotgun? WTF?

Ubermcoupe
07-30-2012, 10:56 PM
reminds me of Mr. Ruger and 10+rd mags... :puke:

Wherryj
07-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Tactical Shotgun?

...but, but, it has scary looking plastic on it. Doesn't that make it far more dangerous than grandpa's 12 ga and it's wood furniture?

DVSmith
07-31-2012, 10:51 AM
And I think it is outrageous that I can't own a Ma Duce and 1M rounds of ammo for it. Opinions vary. Where you draw the line may just be a bit further along the scale than someone else.

None the less, I expect more public soul searching on the amount of ammo a firearm can hold as well as other restrictions. The broader public isn't going to stand by forever and listen to platitudes about spoons and cars from us rabid gun owners.

Not my preference, but I take solace in the fact that 88% of the US population that owns guns, even if they were all single shot bolt action (which we know they aren't), is still a frightening force for any government to consider going after.

IVC
07-31-2012, 11:38 AM
The main argument against the ban is that it has been tried between 1994 and 2004 and it did not affect the overall crime rate. At this point, we know that a complete ban on "assault weapons" doesn't affect crime, hence we know that any ban would just be an infringement - it does NOT achieve the stated goal of reducing crime or gun-related deaths.

Oh, and the Columbine and the North Hollywood Shootout all happened during the ban which was supposed to prevent exactly that type of incident.

Legasat
07-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Tactical Shotgun?

It must have been a Black 870. You know how scary guns get when they are Black

jonzer77
07-31-2012, 12:23 PM
I got a response from the president.

Mr. Jones,

Thanks you for writing.

Please see the entirety of our editorial…..we are not anti-gun; but on the matter of assault weapons, we’ll agree to disagree. We certainly did not take a poke at the NRA. We also fully understand that at the heart of our Second Amendment, private gun ownership is the strong bulwark against tyranny (from within) or oppression (from without).

Be sure to watch this week for a Viewer Response editorial (we do these here from time-to-time when we have a strong viewer reaction…..we had THAT, from both sides this week…….the “ban-all-guns folks” were equally miffed). But all that just reminds us how blessed we are to live in this free country!

Best to you.

jwh

Dark Paladin
07-31-2012, 1:09 PM
I got a response from the president.

What email address did you send to? There are so much intellectual dishonesty within the editorial I'd like to show them how I can easily pick apart their stance.

jonzer77
07-31-2012, 1:31 PM
http://www.ksbw.com/tv/contact

Use the contact us form and select the editorial board as the department you would like it forwarded to.

Dark Paladin
07-31-2012, 2:15 PM
My letter to the station:

Greetings,

In response to the editorial on July 27 proposing a revisit of the Assault Weapons Ban, I would like to point out several fallacies in the assertions set forth within the article.

The Assault Weapons Ban (AWB), by itself, had no meaningful impact on preventing/reducing the use of firearms while committing a crime (see annual crime reports published by the FBI before, during, and after those years). The only impact was prohibiting law-abiding citizens from acquiring items deemed "dangerous" solely because of looks instead of function.

Another famous shooting that also occurred in Colorado was at Columbine High School in 1999, which took place DURING the ban. Did the AWB stop the two boys from committing their shooting spree? For that matter, the mere fact that this took place in a Gun Free School Zone (enacted in 1990) should tell us everything we need to know about laws restricting firearms: they do nothing to prevent crime.

As for the assertion that AR15s and tactical shotguns "are not practical weapons for hunting, personal protection, or sportsmanship" only highlights the author's own ignorance on this topic. AR15s are a very common and popular rifle across the United States, used from hunting to 3-gun competitions at numerous localities. Tactical shotguns are preferred for home defense scenarios because of their maneuverability in tight corridors like hallways and doorways that are commonly found in residential homes. It is intellectually dishonest for the editorial board to claim that these tools serve "no reasonable purpose" when in fact law abiding citizens in the rest of the nation use them on a regular basis.

Last but not least, it is specious to label firearms as "assault weapons" when the term itself is a imaginary category used to describe any firearm that looks scary. A Ruger Mini-14 fires the same caliber as a AR15, and uses similar magazine capacities. Functionally they are nearly identical, so why is one labelled an "assault weapon" but not the other?

In conclusion, while I appreciate the station manager's 1st amendment right to speak their mind, I do want to remind the station the importance of journalistic integrity, which appears to be sorely lacking in this day and age. The recent shooting at Aurora is a horrific event, that much we can all agree on. However, to blame the problem on inanimate objects when in fact it was the intent of a malicious individual to do harm is an additional injustice we as a society can do without. Those who would use this tragedy to further their own political agendas only brings dishonor to the ones who have lost their lives. I ask that the station be respectful of the dead and verify your facts before publishing incorrect information which only diminishes the station's credibility.

Thank you for your time.

jonzer77
08-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Looks like they got A LOT of responses, more then they have with any of their editorials in the past.

http://www.ksbw.com/tv/editorials/Editorial-Assault-weapons-ban-viewer-response/-/7651230/15964114/-/jrjkaa/-/index.html