PDA

View Full Version : Renter's Insurance for Firearms

qwaq
07-30-2012, 2:58 PM
Does anyone know a good company for renter's insurance that includes firearms?

onegtalon
07-30-2012, 3:15 PM
Don't know about renter's insurance but if you join the NRA insurance up to $2500 is free.

Sent from my iPhone...

roushstage2
07-30-2012, 4:08 PM
I'll get back to you. I've actually been wondering this and have a friend who is an insurance agent. I'll ask him and see what he says.

bigmike82
07-30-2012, 4:45 PM
I'm with usaa, and have all mine covered by their renters insurance. Haven't had to use it so I can't tell you how good they are, but their auto claims department is really good.

nick
07-30-2012, 5:11 PM
Check out Collectible Insurance. They specialize in insuring collections, including guns. The only company I found so far that insures ammo (a concern for those of us with a lot of ammo. You jave to keep an ammo log though).

locosway
07-31-2012, 3:12 AM
Does anyone know a good company for renter's insurance that includes firearms?

AAA said all my firearms were covered so long as I had nothing extremely exotic. The phone rep was very 2A friendly.

qwaq
07-31-2012, 6:02 AM
Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll check those out.

duckman1
07-31-2012, 6:24 AM
AAA said all my firearms were covered so long as I had nothing extremely exotic. The phone rep was very 2A friendly.

I don't sell for AAA but I doubt "Extremely Exotic" is mentioned anywhere in the policy.

If you don't a personal liability policy then the Renters is the way to go as it also protects all of your personal property including your guns. Many of the policies may have a sublimt for firearms that may or may not be limited to theft. It is important that whatever route you take that you read the policy.

Intimid8tor
07-31-2012, 7:08 AM
Check out Collectible Insurance. They specialize in insuring collections, including guns. The only company I found so far that insures ammo (a concern for those of us with a lot of ammo. You jave to keep an ammo log though).

X2. I use them for the firearms coverage in addition to what I have through the NRA.

roushstage2
07-31-2012, 1:09 PM
So here's the conversation:

Him: "A renters policy is basically the same as homeowners without the coverage for the building, just coverage for you and your personal property. Another cool thing is that you stuff does not need to be on site to be covered.. Your firearm is stolen from your car... it's still covered!!"

Me: "What kind of levels of insurance are there for the firearms, like amount limits? Do the riders also cover ammunition, accessories and so on?"

Him:"Yes thats always the case.. For Firearms, the only limit is on theft, which is $1000. Anything over that if stolen would not be covered, unless we add a rider for the value of the firearm. If you appartment/house burned down the entire value of the firearm(s) would be covered without the additional rider. As for ammunition and accessories, those would be considered standard personal property and would be covered regardless. Basically if you have a gun or multiple guns with a value totaling more than $1k then we need to add the rider."

In the end, an $8,000 firearm rider costs $64/year. However, if the regular policy covers ammo an everything else, I could drop it since I'd only need to cover myself for the value of the guns over $1,000. Collectible Insurance Service quote came to $60/year for $8,000 coverage and I believe that covers everything (ammo, accessories, etc). Seems like it just comes down to personal preference in who you want to work with? Unless anyone can sell me on CIS over going through Farmer's, since I'll be getting a renter's policy too, I'll just go through Farmer's and add a rider for the total value of my firearms and probably just bump up my coverage amount from $25K to $30K just to be sure I've got all of my ammo and accessories covered. Heck, the renter's policy would even cover my safe, wouldn't it? That's "standard personal property," yes?

Grumpyoldretiredcop
07-31-2012, 1:40 PM
I have State Farm; a rider to cover theft was not very expensive, only a few dollars per year.

aR_iNsaNe
07-31-2012, 1:42 PM
State farm has renters insurance that includes firearms

TacticalPlinker
07-31-2012, 5:57 PM
Try Farmer's Insurance. My mother is an insurance agent for Farmer's and we have it for out apartment complex. I don't remember the details but I know they cover my firearms. I think there are limits though... it depends on the actual policy.

duckman1
07-31-2012, 7:10 PM
So here's the conversation:

Him: "A renters policy is basically the same as homeowners without the coverage for the building, just coverage for you and your personal property. Another cool thing is that you stuff does not need to be on site to be covered.. Your firearm is stolen from your car... it's still covered!!"

Me: "What kind of levels of insurance are there for the firearms, like amount limits? Do the riders also cover ammunition, accessories and so on?"

Him:"Yes thats always the case.. For Firearms, the only limit is on theft, which is $1000. Anything over that if stolen would not be covered, unless we add a rider for the value of the firearm. If you appartment/house burned down the entire value of the firearm(s) would be covered without the additional rider. As for ammunition and accessories, those would be considered standard personal property and would be covered regardless. Basically if you have a gun or multiple guns with a value totaling more than $1k then we need to add the rider."

In the end, an $8,000 firearm rider costs $64/year. However, if the regular policy covers ammo an everything else, I could drop it since I'd only need to cover myself for the value of the guns over $1,000. Collectible Insurance Service quote came to $60/year for $8,000 coverage and I believe that covers everything (ammo, accessories, etc). Seems like it just comes down to personal preference in who you want to work with? Unless anyone can sell me on CIS over going through Farmer's, since I'll be getting a renter's policy too, I'll just go through Farmer's and add a rider for the total value of my firearms and probably just bump up my coverage amount from $25K to $30K just to be sure I've got all of my ammo and accessories covered. Heck, the renter's policy would even cover my safe, wouldn't it? That's "standard personal property," yes?

The answer to your question is yes the safe is personal property. The firearms theft limit only applies to the peril of theft and any other covered loss is subject to the Household Personal Property Limit. Buy enough HPP to cover the replacement value of your stuff. By the way it's more than you think open your cabinets and count bedding, towels, plates, glasses, tableware, furniture, clothes, bedding, computers, etc.

roushstage2
07-31-2012, 10:39 PM
I lowered the firearms rider to cover the cost of the firearms themselves and raised personal property limit to 30K from 25K and the quote still went down by $2 per month. Might just raise property a bit more. Haven't looked at the new quote breakdown yet, but it should be like $15 a month with thar $2 reduction.

Deadbolt
07-31-2012, 11:09 PM
State farm has renters insurance that includes firearms

the wife and i have 65k in renters coverage : theft fire and exterior flood - State farm is pretty clear too on how the coverage works

13.75 / mo

i think i spent more than that tonight buying 1 pint of IPA and 1pint of Weiss beer :chris:

worth it.

roc_my_tims
07-31-2012, 11:16 PM

give AAA another call an recheck you coverage. I used to have AAA and firarms were covered upto $1500.00 max no matter what kinds you have. the agent you talked to maybe answered you in general but might not know some people has thousand's of $ in guns.

Deadbolt
07-31-2012, 11:29 PM
give AAA another call an recheck you coverage. I used to have AAA and firarms were covered upto $1500.00 max no matter what kinds you have. the agent you talked to maybe answered you in general but might not know some people has thousand's of $ in guns.

this may be contingent on storage. Proof of a large safe helps. Similar to "garage vs street parking" for motorcycle / vehicular insurance.

/2cents

SARC_Mike
08-01-2012, 6:35 AM
+1
USAA is awesome. I never had to do a gun claim but I did on my wifes 10k engagement ring and it was less than a 48 hour turnaround. Simple as can be and my rates didnt get raised.

I'm with usaa, and have all mine covered by their renters insurance. Haven't had to use it so I can't tell you how good they are, but their auto claims department is really good.

Lifeon2whls
08-01-2012, 8:16 AM
Do any of these policies cover you in the event that you A) shoot someone who tries to break into your home and sues you or B) breaks in, steals your gun and somehow uses it which in turn you are somehow sued because of?

duckman1
08-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Do any of these policies cover you in the event that you A) shoot someone who tries to break into your home and sues you or B) breaks in, steals your gun and somehow uses it which in turn you are somehow sued because of?

What you describe are situations that may be covered under the Liability Coverage provided by your Renters/Homeowners/Condo Policy. I have not seen any with exclusions but it does not mean they're not out there.