PDA

View Full Version : Wife won a gun yesterday in a raffle.

ASTMedic
07-30-2012, 11:45 AM
So while I'm stuck working yesterday the wife and her grandma headed out to local AA baseball game. The Friends of the NRA had a raffle going, $20 a ticket and only 50 sold. Sure enough she won. She basically gets her choice up to $450 of a gun from one of the local shops. Thinking about taking it as a gift card and adding a little money to get her something she'll be really happy with.

That being said I need some recommendations on a striker fired semi auto handgun. She's got a .38 snubby right now and I own and carry 1911's. Other than holding and shooting a few here and there I have no experience with striker fired systems. The .45 is a bit much for her so she's looking into a 9mm or .40. I'm a little worried with her having just a "trigger safety" type gun. She's shot glocks and likes the gun but I'd like to see an external safety on the gun. Thoughts?

dieselpower
07-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Glock 19 or Glock 17. There is no other choice..ignore the XD crowd they suffer from delusional thinking... :hide:

glock21fan
07-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Ruger lc9

InGrAM
07-30-2012, 12:13 PM
^ that is a true glock fanboy up there, lol.

The Ruger SR9 is striker fired with a thumb safety and it is cheap.
http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9/models.html

I would also look at the M&P9 it is an excellent striker-fried pistol.

glock21fan
07-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Lol. Hell I don't even have my g21 anymore. There's also the kahrs that on sale come down to that price range.

ASTMedic
07-30-2012, 12:18 PM
^ that is a true glock fanboy up there, lol.

The Ruger SR9 is striker fired with a thumb safety and it is cheap.

I would also look at the M&P9 it is an excellent striker-fried pistol.

I'm going to try and get one in her hands when we go looking on Sat. I'm a huge fan of the M&P. Love the way they feel in my hand. Like an extension of my arm and really low in my hand. I would have bought one but none in .45 around here when I bought my last gun. Are the external safety ones CA legal?

ASTMedic
07-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Lol. Hell I don't even have my g21 anymore. There's also the kahrs that on sale come down to that price range.

No external safety though right? I'm willing to tack a few hundred more on the price to get her one she'll like. She's put up with me buying guns so it's the least I can do.

InGrAM
07-30-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm going to try and get one in her hands when we go looking on Sat. I'm a huge fan of the M&P. Love the way they feel in my hand. Like an extension of my arm and really low in my hand. I would have bought one but none in .45 around here when I bought my last gun. Are the external safety ones CA legal?

I feel the same way. They are perfect, no-nonsense pistols and the ergonomics are better than the glock, IMO.

Here is the CA DOJ roster: http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

The M&P45 with the thumb safety is on the roster.

ASTMedic
07-30-2012, 12:27 PM
I feel the same way. They are perfect, no-nonsense pistols and the ergonomics are better than the glock, IMO.

Nice. If I can find one she can hold and she likes it I'll see if they can order the external safety one since I've never seen it around here.

AfghanVetOrcutt
07-30-2012, 1:45 PM
HK USP 9mm. Double the gift card but a nice pistol with an external safety. It does have a hammer so nevermind.

glock21fan
07-30-2012, 1:50 PM
I think the lc9 has a safety.

TKM
07-30-2012, 1:52 PM
I've won some fun over the years.

One piece of advice.

Whatever you do, don't use Turners.

call-in
07-30-2012, 1:55 PM

Haven't held one but heard some good things about 'em, how about the M&P9 Shield?

InGrAM
07-30-2012, 2:19 PM
Haven't held one but heard some good things about 'em, how about the M&P9 Shield?

I have never held a M&Pshield but I hear good things. I prefer bigger CC guns and striker-fired handguns without safeties so I would probably go M&P9c but S&W has a winner with the M&P line of pistols. You can't beat them, IMO.

This is an example of how reliable and robust the M&P line is: http://pistol-training.com/archives/998 (62,333 rounds)

They also did endurance tests on the gen 4 G17, HK45, HK p30 (which fired 91,XXX rounds) before the tested ended :eek:, and they are currently doing the Springer 1911 9mm.

voiceofreason
07-30-2012, 2:46 PM
The 9mm full size M&P is a great choice as it can adjust for short fingers as well as large paws. I don't have any personal experience with the compact version. One guy at a course I took brought his compact and wished he had gotten the full size.

If they fit her hand, the Generation 3 Glock 17 & 19 (they fit the hand differently, 17 larger, 19 smaller) are excellent choices.

BajaJames83
07-30-2012, 2:53 PM
the S&W M&P has a thumb safety model

voiceofreason
07-30-2012, 3:36 PM
the S&W M&P has a thumb safety model

in .45, but for CA the 9mm is only available without the external thumb safety

you'd have to single shot exemption a 9mm with thumb safety

ASTMedic
07-30-2012, 3:48 PM
in .45, but for CA the 9mm is only available without the external thumb safety

you'd have to single shot exemption a 9mm with thumb safety

Won't be able to do that with this shop

ASTMedic
08-04-2012, 6:26 AM
Well she went with the Glock 9. So long as she's happy and will shoot it I'm happy with the choice.

http://img.tapatalk.com/3fcd0e71-3181-619c.jpg

spetsnaz
08-04-2012, 6:28 AM
g19 or g26. my choice would be for the g26 its a great gun

ASTMedic
08-04-2012, 6:35 AM
G19. She likes the mid sized frame better than a sub. Any gun where her pinky is hanging she hates. I had her hold a LC9 and she hated it. Subcompact XD, hated it. Kahr, hated it. She did like the M&P full sized but none in a 9 at the shop. Since we were stuck buying at the shop the Friends of the NRA had chosen she just went with the glock.

She likes glock. Has shot a friends subcompact but wasn't a huge fan due to the short grip. So this is right up her alley.

gatesbox
08-04-2012, 6:47 AM
Well she went with the Glock 9. So long as she's happy and will shoot it I'm happy with the choice.

I am glad she got what SHE wanted.... And not that I want to start the debate, but what is the thinking behind your desire for an external safety? They have dropped loaded glocks out of airplanes, and dragged them behind trucks without discharging a round.... Just curious.....

rsrocket1
08-04-2012, 7:12 AM
G19. She likes the mid sized frame better than a sub. Any gun where her pinky is hanging she hates. I had her hold a LC9 and she hated it. Subcompact XD, hated it. Kahr, hated it. She did like the M&P full sized but none in a 9 at the shop. Since we were stuck buying at the shop the Friends of the NRA had chosen she just went with the glock.

She likes glock. Has shot a friends subcompact but wasn't a huge fan due to the short grip. So this is right up her alley.

Too bad about not getting the M&P. You should have bought the M&P 40 standard size. You could then replace the 40 barrel with a 9mm barrel for less than $100. That way you would have 3 calibers you could shoot from that single frame (40/357sig, or 9mm). You could use either the 40/357 magazine and not feed the last round or buy 9mm magazines for full 10 round shots. Storm Lake barrels work also but cost a few bucks more.

ASTMedic
08-04-2012, 7:22 AM
I am glad she got what SHE wanted.... And not that I want to start the debate, but what is the thinking behind your desire for an external safety? They have dropped loaded glocks out of airplanes, and dragged them behind trucks without discharging a round.... Just curious.....

Something other than just your trigger finger being the safety. Not that she isn't good at keeping her finger clear of the trigger but I just feel better knowing there is a second safety. If glock offered a external safety option I would have never excluded them. Unfortunately the M&P (and XD if you count a grip safety) can have an external safety. The only thing I don't like about the XD is that anytime you're holding the gun the grip safety is depressed so if you somehow pressed the trigger to the rear BANG. With a thumb safety it's on or off. I carry 1911's and prefer having a safety that is either on or off. This will, once she's clear of being pregnant, be her gun she will get her CCW with.

Yes I know your finger is always the safety and no mechanical safety can be 100% trusted but it just gives me peace of mind.

ASTMedic
08-04-2012, 7:23 AM
Too bad about not getting the M&P. You should have bought the M&P 40 standard size. You could then replace the 40 barrel with a 9mm barrel for less than $100. That way you would have 3 calibers you could shoot from that single frame (40/357sig, or 9mm). You could use either the 40/357 magazine and not feed the last round or buy 9mm magazines for full 10 round shots. Storm Lake barrels work also but cost a few bucks more.

Didn't know that. Guess I'll just have to make the M&P MY next purchase.

MrOrange
08-04-2012, 9:03 AM
Here ya go:

Glock thumb safety (http://cominolli.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=29)

Available from several different smithys, tested and approved by more than a couple prominent gunriter types.

As to why, I prefer to call a manual safety an unauthorized user denial device. For a holster or especially an HD gun, I don't want something that any idiot meth-head can grab and use instantly.

ASTMedic
08-04-2012, 9:44 AM
Here ya go:

Glock thumb safety (http://cominolli.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=29)

Available from several different smithys, tested and approved by more than a couple prominent gunriter types.

As to why, I prefer to call a manual safety an unauthorized user denial device. For a holster or especially an HD gun, I don't want something that any idiot meth-head can grab and use instantly.

I've heard of a few 1911 grabs that the BG failed to fully depress the grip safety or disengage the thumb safety and thus got pummeled by the gun owner.

Eat Dirt
08-04-2012, 9:52 AM

]

Excellent !!!!!!! .:thumbsup: