PDA

View Full Version : Are sand bags the new norm

Thefeeder
07-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Past by a local range a few days back and noticed just about every shooter was using sand bags front and rear and pistol shooters were using rests also.

One shooter was shooting one big hole in a target @ the 7 yard line using a sand bag rest.

Is this the norm these day?.

I can understand sighting in or reload testing, but are there any real skills being practiced out there.

high_revs
07-30-2012, 10:30 AM
why do you not call that a skill? it ain't that easy either whether on a bipod or sandbag and putting a tight grouping together. try with with 2 cups or even a single cup of coffee on a magnified glass.

snipers don't shoot offhand (all the time).

tdyoung1958
07-30-2012, 10:32 AM
I use mine for target shooting with the kids since they can't reach to hold the stock properly. To sight in my guns. With a pistol only when I need a sight check to make sure they are hitting where I aim . . . but even that's at 25y

but then again, at the range I use bipods to shoot most of the time, not much difference between them and bags

Legasat
07-30-2012, 10:36 AM
The only time I use a rest is for Zero-ing, or for comparing the accuracy of different ammo.

The Virus
07-30-2012, 10:44 AM
it's all sandbags these days..............

2DoorImpala
07-30-2012, 11:10 AM
I like to catch sandbags on fire with the barrel

Whatisthis?
07-30-2012, 11:22 AM
No skill? Doesn't resting it in on a sandbag just hold it steady? You still need to hold the same sight picture for every shot as well as have good trigger control if it's going to be one giant hole.

I don't see the point in resting SA shots unless that's your cup of tea. It still takes skill though.

Dantedamean
07-30-2012, 11:34 AM
While I agree with most posters that to shoot from a sandbag you still need skill, what I keep seeing are these guys securing there gun in a vice to shoot. Then they act like they pulled off this amazing shot. That has no skill in it.

Paper Boy
07-30-2012, 11:49 AM
I use sand bags when shooting new rifle loads to be as consistent as possible. Once I have the load the works best for my rifle I leave the bags at home.

Pistol I just reload to plink with for the most part so I am not worried about absolute accuracy just "good enough" So I do not use a sand bad or use a rest. Just find a load that is decently accurate and load away.

Merc1138
07-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Monkey see, Monkey do. I'm guessing this was a public range with maybe 50 and 100 yard positions? Probably a bench at every position? Not every range lets people move benches out of the way, at some ranges the benches are terrible for shooting while standing(metcalf comes to mind), and there's only a limited number of lanes where you can actually shoot prone/sitting/kneeling/etc. From my own experience, trying to shoot off hand sitting at a bench well... kinda sucks.

Just because you're using a support, doesn't mean that no skill is involved. Look at benchrest shooting as an example.

Although I do agree that the folks with the rifle clamped into the rest and then strapped down to the bench getting happy because they hit the target on the 50 yard line are annoying, it's their guns/ammo/time. It's not like they're being unsafe or otherwise causing you a problem. Some of the people using a vice/rest/whatever for every shot are indeed simply sighting in, or in some cases testing different loads, so who cares?

trob
07-30-2012, 11:59 AM
for rifles, very normal.

Pistols, not so much. That's a little weird if they weren't adjusting their sights.

Mssr. Eleganté
07-30-2012, 12:46 PM
I've got two ten pound sandbags and a folding steel shooting bench in my bug out bag. Hopefully I will have time to set it all up each time we encounter zombies while on the run.

9mmepiphany
07-30-2012, 1:44 PM
I can understand sighting in or reload testing, but are there any real skills being practiced out there.
It is just a different skill set and accuracy should be measured on a different scale of acceptability

Shooting a handgun off a rest at 50 yards should be producing groups around 3"-4" for any stock pistol and inside 2" for accurate ones.

...at 25 yards, most acceptable guns will place their rounds inside 2" with accurate ones going into half of that

InGrAM
07-30-2012, 2:37 PM
I use rests when shooting at 25 yards with a pistol, when seeing what kind of groupings I can get with certain loads(reloads or factory), and when sighting in my firearms.

Who cares what other people are doing with their time, money, and guns? It is all about having a good time.

Merc1138
07-30-2012, 2:41 PM
Who cares what other people are doing with their time, money, and guns?

People on their way to being pretentious gun snobs who think their way is better than everyone else's?

voiceofreason
07-30-2012, 2:43 PM
I use bags for zeroing glass, otherwise, I shoot off a backpack.

New shooters, I have them seated with bags to start and they can move from there.

TKM
07-30-2012, 2:49 PM
I can barely see the damn sandbags.

I need all of the help I can get.

m98
07-30-2012, 3:37 PM
People on their way to being pretentious gun snobs who think their way is better than everyone else's?

^^^^this.......whoever that thinks shooting from a bench rest is cheating must not know anything about the shooting sports, its techniques, equipments and such. That those snobs only goes out once in a blue moon to dump 100rds offhand into a standard nra high power rifle target and call themselves expert sharp shooters with the shot up target looking like a 12ga was at it a few times.

wjc
07-30-2012, 4:32 PM
heh

It's really funny watching the other shooters when I actually stand or kneel to shoot. It's odd to them.

Thefeeder
07-31-2012, 12:11 AM
I've got two ten pound sandbags and a folding steel shooting bench in my bug out bag. Hopefully I will have time to set it all up each time we encounter zombies while on the run.

That sir is funny!

anymoose
07-31-2012, 1:20 AM
Past by a local range a few days back and noticed just about every shooter was using sand bags front and rear and pistol shooters were using rests also.

One shooter was shooting one big hole in a target @ the 7 yard line using a sand bag rest.

Is this the norm these day?.

i feel the same way.

i always go up to people shooting with bags and say "hey, i dont use bags" and they say "ummm... so?" and i say "its my way or the highway in these parts, jack wagon! get rid of those bags or get to steppin!"

kidding.

but- i will agree that its funny to see people with ARs on bags, shooting at 25 yards, walk past their target, looks like theyve been shooting weak side off hand, one handed with 12ga bird shot

Fishslayer
07-31-2012, 8:58 AM
I like to catch sandbags on fire with the barrel

So I'm not the only one! :D

Gotta watch that CB gap with those Big Dog handloads... ;)

but- i will agree that its funny to see people with ARs on bags, shooting at 25 yards, walk past their target, looks like theyve been shooting weak side off hand, one handed with 12ga bird shot

My favorite was the guy shooting with a laser & resting his VFG directly on the table. His target looked like Stevie Wonder had taken up shooting... :rofl2: