HokeySon
07-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Do these really work?

doublebuck
07-30-2012, 12:21 PM
skip the call, get a mojo

RandyD
07-30-2012, 3:05 PM
I have been hunting doves since the mid 70's and never knew anyone that used a call. In the morning doves fly from their roosts to water and grain. In the evening they fly from water and grain to their roosts. Its not anymore complicated than placing yourself along their flight path. If sound was a factor, I would think that they would avoid the gunshots but they don't.

toby
07-30-2012, 4:34 PM
Save the money it's all HYPE.

spectr17
07-30-2012, 6:37 PM
Just get one to pizz off the doves that taunt you the week before the opener.

Like this SOB

http://www.jesseshunting.com/images/dove_wire_home.jpg

ewarmour
07-30-2012, 6:43 PM
I have been hunting doves since the mid 70's and never knew anyone that used a call. In the morning doves fly from their roosts to water and grain. In the evening they fly from water and grain to their roosts. Its not anymore complicated than placing yourself along their flight path. If sound was a factor, I would think that they would avoid the gunshots but they don't.

Exactly this.

HokeySon
07-30-2012, 7:21 PM
thanks guys. You have confirmed what I thought.

FLIGHT762
07-30-2012, 7:54 PM

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

skip the call, get a mojo

And especially THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NoNOS67
07-30-2012, 8:40 PM
Big YES on the Mojo dove! I've had birds fly right up to mine on many occasions.

Manolito
07-30-2012, 8:56 PM
Quick question has anybody noticed a large increase in ringed neck doves or eurasian dove? This time of year I have a lot of dove and quail visit the chicken scratch with their young and I am over run with ring neck dove and a decrease in morning dove. We have had three hatchings of quail this year. Valley quail not mountain.

taperxz
07-30-2012, 9:04 PM
Quick question has anybody noticed a large increase in ringed neck doves or eurasian dove? This time of year I have a lot of dove and quail visit the chicken scratch with their young and I am over run with ring neck dove and a decrease in morning dove. We have had three hatchings of quail this year. Valley quail not mountain.

Yep!

PoorRichRichard
07-30-2012, 9:53 PM
I'm noticing more collared doves (the Eurasians) in and around my suburban neighborhood, but I'm still only seeing Mourning dove up in the foothills where I hunt- no Eurasians. Conversely, Iím seeing both Eurasians and Mourning doves at my buddyís desert place across the street from the southern entrance to the Ocotillo Wells ATV area. I'm no wildlife expert, but Iím fascinated by any and all game bird behavior. Some of the literature I've been looking over lately suggests that the Eurasians are filling an ecological niche vacated by the recently extinct Passenger Pigeon (I think they went extinct in the 1910's). Looking forward to blasting a bunch in the upcoming months:D No limit on the Eurasians as they considered an invasive species.

duckman1
07-31-2012, 7:42 AM
We've been noticing a an increase in the Eurasions the last couple of years. They do compete more effectively with the mourning doves for habitat.

Shoot-it
07-31-2012, 8:10 AM
I was surprised to see a few Eurasions here on the farm i have one that roosts behind my house every morning its a cooing.
Valley quail seem to be doing good to with their huge hatchlings.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/shoot-it/203.jpg

throw this critters in for the hell of it.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/shoot-it/183.jpg

PoorRichRichard
07-31-2012, 5:09 PM
Shoot-it Great pictures! I'm going crazy waiting for dove and quail season...

xtra870
07-31-2012, 6:50 PM
Shoot-it Eurasians have almost completely replaced the mourning dove around my place on the other side of town from you. They are everywhere. Along with the 50 acres of milo that is gonna start making heads in about 10 days and dove season being on the saturday after i start school (thank god because i cant miss any extra class). I think my place is gonna be a hot spot this year.

Shoot-it
07-31-2012, 7:44 PM
I don't even hunt quail any it has been years since i did .These are hard to find sometimes if you shoot them as they fly over 10 feet high black berry bushes and drop in them.
xxtra870 that sounds great you should have a blast have you tried that mojo dove they will try and land on top of it.That thing is like a vacuum it sucks them in like nothing else. I still see some morning doves on the dirt roads between corn fields but nothing to get excited about.

These rascals don't help the hatch either.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/shoot-it/196.jpg

lewdogg21
07-31-2012, 7:45 PM
The best dove call is the sound of a 18 wheeler trailer full of saflower overturning on a country road.

Shoot-it
07-31-2012, 7:50 PM
check out this pup coyote running around i called him in lip squeaking one morning he is real cute. The farm employees are trying to catch him but that little guy can run fast.
He is the size of a t-cup dog.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/shoot-it/007-3.jpg

xtra870
08-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Shoot it you have so many damn coyotes out there. My buddies gf hit the only coon i have ever seen around my ranch the other night on my road but im sure there is more. The possum and skunk population is still pretty low which is why im thinking the quail and dove are so good out here.

I have seen the MoJo doves in action and i plan on purchasing one or two before the 1st of september

Shoot-it
08-01-2012, 5:24 PM
Come on you have a lot out there to it's because of the dairy's they hit mine for a dead calf go a 1/4 mile hit the other dairy then so on.When i swat alfalfa i see them to out there laying down just kicking it.Go look around the dead pile you will see tracks all over.Now if that 3x3 blind buck would leave los banos refuge and run over this way i would be happy lol.
This is the first little pup i ever saw out running around on it's own i think the mother is around i know i didn't shot a wet ***** this spring.
I will take you calling with me this fall i have permission to a few almond orchards that produce coyotes when you call it's hell of a lot of fun having them come into a distress sound.
One time i saw a coon come running out of the commodity barn that was many years ago.We are bordered by a canal and the Merced river it's a coons paradise out here.