PDA

View Full Version : NRA basic pistol 8-hour class in bay area

sully007
07-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Any recommendation for a good instructor/class in the bay area.

paperpunch
07-30-2012, 11:00 AM
I recommend checking out Bayprofs, who conduct the NRA Basic Pistol class at TargetMasters in Milpitas. The instructor to student ratio was about 1:2 when I attended, so you get a ton of personalized instruction. Without exception, all of the instructors were really friendly and knowledgeable.

As an added bonus, I got to shoot the fabled Python during the range session at the conclusion of the class. Thus was born a materialistic quest tha will not soon be realized. It's the revolver equivalent of a Van Gogh painting for me.

Atekhed
07-30-2012, 2:55 PM
Does it have to be NRA (nothing against the NRA btw) or are you looking for basic/fundamental pistol training in general?

I can recommend Tactical Training Assoc in Morgan Hill for their Fundamental Psitol 1 course. Check the link below for schedule and info.

www.WestCoastTacticalTraining.com

I have taken a few courses there and the instructors and instruction there are good.

Dr Rockso
07-30-2012, 2:57 PM
Does it have to be NRA (nothing against the NRA btw) or are you looking for basic/fundamental pistol training in general?

I can recommend Tactical Training Assoc in Morgan Hill for their Fundamental Psitol 1 course. Check the link below for schedule and info.

I have taken a few courses there and the instructors and instruction there are good.

This.

AAShooter
07-30-2012, 3:03 PM
Bill Tidwell teaches a large number of people in the Bay Area at the Livermore-Pleasanton Gun Club and Reed's indoor range. He also teaches many of the Bay Area instructors. You can his schedule at: www.train2besafe.com

call-in
07-30-2012, 3:05 PM

This.

+1

Pat and Dave are good instructors.

darmog
07-30-2012, 5:53 PM
Bill Tidwell's a great instructor for basic pistol. Keep in mind though that that its a very basic course. You won't be drawing from a holster. You'll ne using .22lr pistols to practice wirh. Bill provides the pistols so you needn't bring anything except a check and pen/paper. He'll also gice you the oppotunity to shoot one round of various calibers at end of class.

TTA's basic pistol class is also very good but requires you to bring your own gear or rent from them. While you do learn the basics as in Bill's class you'll have a bit more learned skills as you'll learn to draw from a holster from the get go. They will also expose you to double/triple tapping, multipletarget shooting, etc. It just a much more dynamic class towards the end

AAShooter
07-30-2012, 6:22 PM
Also, realize there is the basic pistol and a first steps pistol class. If you require the longer basic class, just make sure that is the one you get signed up for.

Here is a place you can search for the specific NRA classes in your area: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx/

wjc
07-30-2012, 8:13 PM
I think Eric at U.S. firearms in Sunnyvale teaches the basic pistol course.

I saw some brochures last time I was in there. Check with them.