PDA

View Full Version : Lake City Brass(5.56) vs .223 loads

quig
07-30-2012, 9:43 AM
This is not a "can I shoot 5.56" thread, but a how will my recipe change with LC brass.

For a while now I have been avoiding using any LC (or other 5.56 brass) because I didn't want to deal with the primer crimp. I finally got around to it and prepped all this brass (I think my arm is gonna fall off). Now I am wondering what change I can expect with my preferred load.

I previously had a similar issue when I first started developing a load using Varget. I started at the lowest recommended load using R-P cases and was having pressure signs and blew a primer. I called Hodgens and told them what was happening and they said their loads were with Winchester cases as Winchester cases have one of the highest volume. Coincidently, R-P has one of the lowest volume. I then repeated with Win cases, and no problems.

Will I have a similar issue with LC? What are your experiences loading different cases?

Using Winchester and PMC brass, I found a nice accurate load of TAC with 23.2-23.6gr using a 69gr SMK.

I don't have a chrono, I just test by starting low, look for good accuracy without any pressure signs and I am happy.

What can I expect? Considerable change in the powder charge? Not much difference? A little more powder/less to maintain my accuracy.

This load is using AR15, Rem 7-1/2 primer, 18" Rifle Length, Wylde chamber.

ireload
07-30-2012, 9:54 AM
Start out with minimum listed load with the LC brass to see where that leads to. I'm betting your not going to have any issue. What pressure signs were you encountering with R-P brass? How old are the brass and how many times has the brass been reloaded? I've never had any problem with shooting R-P brass on either my Colt H-Bar or my single shot NEF rifles. The R-P brass I've used varies on the date of manufacture. Most of the R-P brass were new at the time of the initial use from commericially loaded rounds. Supposedly that a "cut out" of the LC brass compared to a commercial brass pretty much has the same internal volume. I just can't remember where I read that. The possibility that a brass has manufacturing defect also exists.

quig
07-30-2012, 10:05 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=551967

Pete1979
07-31-2012, 9:52 AM
Weigh both cases and compare then drop a like charge of Tac or BL-C2 or whatever ball powder you have into both and compare again. Drop enough powder so that it fills up into the case neck and it should show you if one case has more room than the other.

Hoop
07-31-2012, 9:59 AM
Using Winchester and PMC brass, I found a nice accurate load of TAC with 23.2-23.6gr using a 69gr SMK.

My LC brass is lighter than my REM or PMC and much lighter than Win. Not sure why you had problems with Rem over Win re:pressure maybe something with your brass prep regimen?

BTW I shoot 24 TAC + LC, PMC and REM brass and a 75 or 77 grainer all day long without issue.

SixPointEight
07-31-2012, 10:01 AM
My LC brass is lighter than my REM or PMC and much lighter than Win. Not sure why you had problems with Rem over Win re:pressure maybe something with your brass prep regimen?

BTW I shoot 24 TAC + LC, PMC and REM brass and a 75 or 77 grainer all day long without issue.

I did capacity and weight tests before and found wcc and lc brass to be the lightest and highest volume as well

CEDaytonaRydr
07-31-2012, 12:57 PM
I usually just find something in the middle of the load data and use that for all my cases. I haven't blown myself up yet... :o

Hoop
07-31-2012, 4:16 PM
I did capacity and weight tests before and found wcc and lc brass to be the lightest and highest volume as well

WCC headstamp is winchester military not Winchester commercial. NATO brass should all weigh the same.

Winchester commercial is about 3 grains heavier than LC.

Dutch3
07-31-2012, 5:52 PM

In comparison to commercial .223 brass? I guess I need to weigh my WCC 93, as it "feels" much heavier than Wal-Mart .223

SixPointEight
08-01-2012, 8:18 AM
WCC headstamp is winchester military not Winchester commercial. NATO brass should all weigh the same.

Winchester commercial is about 3 grains heavier than LC.

I am familiar with the difference between winchester military vs. commercial brass. I was just trying to say the common "knowledge" that mil brass is thicker isn't always true. Lapua, a commercial .223 brass is the heaviest I've found.